• ...and so much more!
  • Excalibur

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   2   0
    May 11, 2012
    NWI
    I didn't know where to put this since we don't have a military section

I just had a long debate trying to convince a guy who really wants to call all Servicemen "soldiers". It started out as Marines are not called Soldiers because...they are Marines.

This guy said "Soldiers are defined as serving in a military. All the above serve in the military, therefore they are under the umbrella of a soldier. But if defined by what society wants sure."

You call people in the Navy, Sailors. Air Force is Airmen. Now got you "jobs" in the branches like Navy pilots, Air Force pilots and Marine pilots.

But in the board sense, each branch are called their respective terms. Marines are not Soldiers.

I want to know other people's opinions about this.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    It's only confusing if you're unable to admit you don't know everything. This guy thought he did

What do us paramilitary folk call each other?

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Some of us don't know things like this and we get our asses reemed when we make the mistake.

The person with the problem is the one who gets offended when called a soldier when it's obvious that no disrespect is intended. Again, marines are a sensitive bunch. If they get crappy, just remind them that they're under the navy.

Kagnew

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Columbus

I just had a long debate trying to convince a guy who really wants to call all Servicemen "soldiers". It started out as Marines are not called Soldiers because...they are Marines.

This guy said "Soldiers are defined as serving in a military. All the above serve in the military, therefore they are under the umbrella of a soldier. But if defined by what society wants sure."

You call people in the Navy, Sailors. Air Force is Airmen. Now got you "jobs" in the branches like Navy pilots, Air Force pilots and Marine pilots.

But in the board sense, each branch are called their respective terms. Marines are not Soldiers.

You are correct. A soldier is a member of the Army. Members of the Marine Corps are Marines, members of the Navy are sailors, members of the Air Force are airmen, members of the Coast Guard are Coast Guardsmen, and members of the Obama administration are idiots.

Excalibur

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   2   0
    May 11, 2012
    NWI
    The person with the problem is the one who gets offended when called a soldier when it's obvious that no disrespect is intended. Again, marines are a sensitive bunch. If they get crappy, just remind them that they're under the navy.

That's incorrect. They fall under the Department of the Navy, but that is different from the Branch of the military called the Navy. They haven't been part of the Navy since after WWII

Wild Deuce

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 2, 2009

Yep ... Department of the Navy ... the MEN'S department. :D

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    A soldier looks up at a helicopter and calls it a chopper. An airman looks up at it and calls it a helo. A marine looks up at it, pounds his chest and says uh, uh, uh, uh

Excalibur

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   2   0
    May 11, 2012
    NWI
    A soldier looks up at a helicopter and calls it a chopper. An airman looks up at it and calls it a helo. A marine looks up at it, pounds his chest and says uh, uh, uh, uh

That's because when a soldier calls for air support, they usually show up but when Marines call for air support, they just shoot the radio because most likely no one heard the call and say at least they know the definite reason why no help is coming

PhantomJ

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 20, 2008
    Greenwood
    How to Tell the Difference Between the Branches of the US Armed Forces!

If you give the command "SECURE THE BUILDING", here is what the different services would do:

The NAVY would turn out the lights and lock the doors.

The ARMY would surround the building with defensive fortifications, tanks and concertina wire.

The MARINE CORPS would assault the building, using overlapping fields of fire from all appropriate points on the perimeter.

The AIR FORCE would take out a three-year lease with an option to buy the building.

Kagnew

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Columbus
    That's incorrect. They fall under the Department of the Navy, but that is different from the Branch of the military called the Navy. They haven't been part of the Navy since after WWII

I was reading somewhere recently that there is talk of changing it to "Department of the Navy and Marine Corps".

Wild Deuce

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 2, 2009
    PhantomJ beat me to it ... (this was the version I saw):
    Military Communications

The story goes that in order to discover why the various branches of the military have problems in communicating with one another the Secretary of Defense called together a panel of four eager O-3's from the Navy, Army, Marine Corps, and Air Force. By way of experiment he asks each of them to jot down the necessary steps to accomplish a simple mission.
    On the board he writes four words: Mission - Secure the Building.

Eager to demonstrate their budding leadership, the young officers hurriedly compose a list of necessary steps to fulfill the SECDEF's assignment.

The Navy Lieutenant carefully writes in his green note book.
    Instruct the Master Chief to have men:
    a) Unplug the coffeepots.
    b) Turn off all computers.
    c) Empty trash.
    d) Turn off all lights.
    e) Lock all doors on the way out.

The Army Captain prints in his cammy clad day timer.
    1. Assemble the company.
    2. Appoint guard mount and Sergeant of the Guard.
    3. Take control of all exits.
    4. Make sure no one gets into the building without a proper identification.

The Marine Corps Captain writes on palm of his hand.
    1. Assemble platoon and supplies.
    2. Approach building along three axes.
    3. Bring building under mortar / SAW fire.
    4. Assault building under covering fire.
    5. Sequester surviving prisoners.
    6. Establish lanes of fire.
    7. Prepare artillery calls.
    8. Repel counterattacks.

The Air Force Captain jots on his PDA.
    1. Contact real estate agent.
    2. Negotiate best one year lease.
    3. Suggest option to buy.

repeter1977

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    NWI
    Most of the branches are actually a little sensitive about it. Marines just SEEM to be more so, since they are usually called Soldiers. Although, Im sure if you called a Soldier a Marine, that he will correct you too. Is it a big deal, well, if you earn the title Soldier, or Marine, then im sure you would rather be called that then "insulted". But thats just my two cents.

Course, since your friend seems to think its all the same, then no matter what you say to back it up, he will just think you are wrong. Kinda like arguing with a wall, or trying to reason with an anti gunner. Not going to win an argument with someone that does not think they are wrong, no matter how right you are.

Stschil

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    At the edge of sanit

You are 100% Correct, Marines are NOT Soldiers .....:)::)::)::)::):

Just kidding. I have great respect for all my brothers and sisters in arms who have served or are serving. :patriot:

RGriff69

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 24, 2010
    95facebook95-40979512195.jpg

Jay

Gotta watch us old guys.....cause if you don't....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2008
    Near Marion, IN
    [FONT=&quot]Why in hell can't the Army do it if the Marines can. They are the same kind of men; why can't they be like Marines. [/FONT]
    Gen. John J. "Black Jack" Pershing, USA; 12 February 1918

[FONT=&quot]Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem. [/FONT]
    Ronald Reagan, President of the United States; 1985

[FONT=&quot]There are only two kinds of people that understand Marines: Marines and the enemy. Everyone else has a second-hand opinion.[/FONT]
    Gen. William Thornson, U.S. Army

The US Air Force Chief-of-Staff would never be called -- Airman
    The Chief-of-Naval Operations would never be called -- Sailor
    The Commanding General of The US Army would never be called -- Soldier
    BUT the Commandant of the Marine Corps would be proud to be called a -- United States Marine

:patriot:

Top Bottom