• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Whitsettd8

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Nov 15, 2011
    Floyd Co
    Ok so I might have a slight plumbing disaster in the making. Last month my water bill shot up $130 the water company called and said they suspected I have a leak. I wrote if off as leaky faucets etc. This month my bill is again $130 and I monitored all faucets toilets etc. Ok I have a leak don't know where so I shut off the main go out and check the meter and it's still spinning. So I diagnose the leak if from house to meter. Now the bad part my meter is across my yard across my neighbors yard across the street and in another guys yard literally 874 feet away from my house. Look for wet spots right well my yard is in a valley and it looks like the path of the water line runs in line with all the drainage ditches in the area so everything is completely saturated. So what are my options outside 1 randomly start digging and testing 2 running a new line 3 I don't know I'm lost. Is there any technology out there that will detect a leak? Any insight would be appreciated.
    I'm in New Albany Indiana for reference.

Harleyrider_50

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 19, 2010
    So. Indiana
    ?.....got'a water softner?...:dunno:...don't over-look it.......

.12 O-ring in the head unit cost me a 87 buck water bill......a service call from Culligan.....
    167.50......he was here 18 min, tops......:rolleyes:

Huntinfool

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 17, 2013
    What kind of piping is underground? Copper, galvanized or plastic. Do you have a written easement? Why is your meter not located on your property? I would think if you don't have serviceable access to the line, you may have some recourse with the city. If the leak isn't on your property, it might be on the city to fix. Or they might need to install a new meter pit on your ground.

That is a long way to just try guessing to find a leak. also you probably can't just go dig up the neighbors yards. And it gets expensive quickly when you dig in the street.

There are companies out there that do locates like that, but are not cheap either. You should be able to call 811 and get them to locate all utilities, including your water service line.

Whitsettd8

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Nov 15, 2011
    Floyd Co
    Rolled plastic line not sure why it's so far away. I just moved here in Dec. Water company acted like it's not there problem once it leaves the meter.

dwain

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2012
    Along the Wabash
    You do need to call 811, but the water company most likely will not locate your line from the meter to your house. I do locates for the gas and electric company, and we do not locate lines put in past our meters. When you call 811, companies cannot be responsible for lines put in by a contractor.

Huntinfool

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 17, 2013
    Yes normally it is your problem. But if it isn't accessible to you for repair, it might not be. Are other meters in the area installed in this way? You probable need to find out why yours is not located on your ground.

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    I discovered on a rental property, that I had two shutoffs in the pit. One main (before the meter), and one after the meter. The one immediately after the meter (which was leaking) was my responsibility. :(

Arm America

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 26, 2009
    West of Greenwood
    Any chance you were provided a home warranty? American leak detection is who I've used in the past with good results. Homes built in the late 70's to early 80's used a black polybutylene that was defective which ended with a class action suit. Long since paid out.

rosejm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 28, 2013
    NWI
    If he's shut off the main in the house, its certainly between the street valve and the house (ie: in the yard).

While you could wait for a dry spell and hope to locate the wet spot, I'm thinking that a good bit of digging is in your future.

Firstly, get the water company or 811 out there to positively identify where the line runs. Can't find it if you're not right on top of it.
    Secondly, are there any obviously soft spots or shifted dirt? Perhaps some erosion that's caused the line to break?

If the line isn't too far down, you might be able to probe along it and find the area where it starts bubbling up.

eric001

Vaguely well-known member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 3, 2011
    Indianapolis
    If the line is poly and you probe anywhere aggressively, you could get some rather interesting results. I'm guessing you probably don't want fountains on top of your pre-existing problem.

Harleyrider_50

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 19, 2010
    So. Indiana
    I discovered on a rental property, that I had two shutoffs in the pit. One main (before the meter), and one after the meter. The one immediately after the meter (which was leaking) was my responsibility. :(

Yup......anythin' on'a discharge side that meter.....all'a way to yer house......is yer baby.....they hook the main ta meter IN-let side.....they responsibility ends rite'er
    (BIL retired from American Water.....)

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    I'm curious if there's a 'shadetree' way of finding the leak?
    Like throw grass seed down along the line, wherever it sprouts up nice n green = most likely the leaky area... only more faster than atching grass grow? Any chemicals that could be used for quicker response?

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    I feel your pain, man.

We've had TWO line-leaks in our service line since we moved in 6 years ago. Thankful that my meter is right out front of my house, though. Not so thankful that I've got 37 year old rolled plastic piping that's basically disintegrating on it's own. Under my driveway and garage.

I invested in a waterline protection insurance plan that I kept getting advertisements from. $60 a year...and it's several times that for an "easy" fix that goes through the yard vs. the concrete.

I wish you the best, OP. I don't know how the situation works since your line crosses a few other properties first - probably without an easement.

Arm America

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 26, 2009
    West of Greenwood
    If you decide the start probing, make sure you are wearing linesman boots,
    gloves and shove a copper grounding rod into the dirt next to your work area.
    Also, make sure you have identification on your person.
    Just in case you hit your electrical service line.
    (Assuming it comes to your house underground)

nate77

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    Bunker Hill
    874 feet is insane. Contact your utility company about relocating your meter pit to your property, take it to the top of the company if necessary. If your utility is a municipal, also take your plea to the city government. 874 feet is just totally unreasonable.

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Greenfield
    In commercial work, ive had great luck with american leak detection. I used them a few weeks ago and they did some kind of pressure test and located the leak under a side walk at a bank. The guy marked the spot and once we saw cut and dug down, he was within 6 inches of the leak. He also nailed the dept right on the money. It was pretty pricey but they do a great job. Good luck, hopefully you can get this fixed and not spend a fortune.

Whitsettd8

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Nov 15, 2011
    Floyd Co
    So here is where I think the line routes. I called 811 yesterday they came out and marked the phone cable and electric no water. Looking for wet spots isn't a valid option that whole tree line is a ditch run off for the entire area. I guess I'll give America leak detection a call. When you say pricey how bad are we talking?
    IMAG0566_zpsv1504wwe.jpg
    [/URL][/IMG]

Top Bottom