• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • nate77

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    Bunker Hill
    Geez, after seeing your picture, I'd look into drilling a well. Even if you get it fixed this time, running under a road, a driveway, and a woods, you'll probably have trouble again.

Whitsettd8

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Nov 15, 2011
    Floyd Co
    I did learn that Indiana American water has a 36inch transmission line running through the top of my drive. They were very addiment about me not hitting that but didn't offer to set me a meter.

Big Guy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 25, 2014
    Greenwood
    You might end up money ahead by getting a directional boring operator to come out and put in a new line all the way from the meter. Usually when you fix a leak in a water line, a new one will pop up somewhere else, and you'll end up chasing leaks throughout the entire length.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    You might end up money ahead by getting a directional boring operator to come out and put in a new line all the way from the meter. Usually when you fix a leak in a water line, a new one will pop up somewhere else, and you'll end up chasing leaks throughout the entire length.

:wavey:

Yep. :(

By the way, anyone have an extra $15k they want to give me so that I can take care of MY intermittent issue once and for all?

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    If your house is like mine and they used the black plastic pipe and then made a transition to the CPVC or PVC piping to come into the house (somewhere outside your foundation), it could be that the transistion's come loose. I had that happen to me last winter. It was easy to tell exactly when it happened (taking a shower when pressure dropped dramatically) and easy to tell about where it was (water running on top of the ground). The trick was digging 4.5-5 feet down to it to reconnect it. Unless anybody's been out along your pipeline digging or disturbing the soil, I'd concentrate on the transition points. If you're going to do exploratory digging, do it at the meter and if you can figure out where it enters your foundation--there. As wet as the ground is now, it might be difficult to tell the difference in soggy ground due to winter/spring transition and a pipe leak.

Thegeek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Indianapolis
    A smoke test would be your best option. Shut the water off at the meter, and cut the line at the house. Hook up the smoke system and blow back towards the meter. Then walk the line until you see the smoke, or hear the gas escaping.

There are companies who do this, but if your line is already leaky, the required pressure may just blow it up. I think you're pretty much screwed...... oh the joys of being a homeowner.

Whitsettd8

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Nov 15, 2011
    Floyd Co
    Yeah I'm coming to the I'm screwed conclusion. I'm like $ 130 water bill vs repair 6k..... I'm also kicking around doing a well at least I won't have a monthly bill once it's fixed.

eric001

Vaguely well-known member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 3, 2011
    Indianapolis
    probes is BLUNT.......no point on'em.......

Not all of them are blunt....and/or lots of people using them use excessive force with probes. I lost count years ago of how many pvc and poly irrigation lines I've repaired that had nice neat little round holes punched through them. And usually where they probed once, they probed and hit the pipes multiple times--inches, feet, yards apart. Lots of fun there.

OP, I second the thought to nag the water company until they move the meter pit into your yard. Yes, you'll still have to fork over the cash for the connection into your house from the new meter...but I'll bet it'll be a LOT less than fixing the current issue.

nate77

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    Bunker Hill
    I'd definitely look into a well, no way I'd throw any money at that boondoggle of a water line. Tell the water company you are going well if they don't relocate your meter pit.

Top Bottom