• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AmericanBob

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 10, 2009
    Noblesville
    Looking for a recommendation on a smith that can help un-bubba this pig. It is fun to blast away with, but not accurate at all. Barely minute of man at 100. And don't give me the "save a milsurp" nonsense on this one. It's already too far butchered. I want to save the action, put a new 308 barrel with a front sight, new stock, and the possibility of a forward rail for a red dot maybe.
    20230820_120734.jpg

Nugget

Milsurp Enjoyer
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 30, 2022
    Morgan County
    I want to save the action, put a new 308 barrel with a front sight, new stock, and the possibility of a forward rail for a red dot maybe.

Save yourself $1000 on the re-work and sell it to me for $200. Just like that, you're up $1200. I'll take off all the bolt-ons, patch the holes, and blast away with it. Win/win.

Kalashalite

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 24, 2023
    SE Indiana
    You'd be much better off to buy an economy bolt action .308 from either Ruger or Savage. One of those would shoot much much better out of the box for $300-$400. This Spanish FR8 is more of a milsurp collectible, not an accurate target rifle. It's a shame the wood has been drilled into.

Hell you could straight trade or sell the FR and use the proceeds to get an Axis or American.

AmericanBob

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 10, 2009
    Noblesville
    You'd be much better off to buy an economy bolt action .308 from either Ruger or Savage. One of those would shoot much much better out of the box for $300-$400. This Spanish FR8 is more of a milsurp collectible, not an accurate target rifle. It's a shame the wood has been drilled into.

Hell you could straight trade or sell the FR and use the proceeds to get an Axis or American.

Yeah, I realize that from an accuracy standpoint. And I'm not trying to turn it into a precision rig. If I can get it to where I can ring an 8 inch gong reliably at 300 I'll be thrilled. Right now that's a 50/50 chance at 100. The action is fantastic on this thing and being able to use stripper clips just adds to the draw.

BigMoose

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I hate to state the obvious.. but that scope mount looks on the janky side to me.

I know it looks like its screwed into the receiver ring on the back, which does help.. but that is a LONG touching overhang ahead of the ring. I can't see if its just attached to the barrel too, or just the handgaurd.

Ether way, there is nothing else on a bolt gun that could cause that much slop unless the barrel is a sewer tube.

Try the irons as a baseline to see what acuracy you get.

But I cam casting serious dubious doubt on that scout mount...

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I hate to state the obvious.. but that scope mount looks on the janky side to me.

I know it looks like its screwed into the receiver ring on the back, which does help.. but that is a LONG touching overhang ahead of the ring. I can't see if its just attached to the barrel too, or just the handgaurd.

Ether way, there is nothing else on a bolt gun that could cause that much slop unless the barrel is a sewer tube.

Try the irons as a baseline to see what acuracy you get.

But I cam casting serious dubious doubt on that scout mount...
    Wow, I see that now that you mention it. That does look pretty iffy.

Slow Hand

Master
    Rating - 99.3%
    146   1   0
    Aug 27, 2008
    West Side
    How is the bore? With the above comments, I’m wondering if that rail is actually attached somewhere on the barrel or if it really is hanging that far forward in the breeze. I’d the bore is decent, what about giving it a fair try by cutting that rail down to much shorter and stick a small red dot on it to test accuracy. Or honestly the peeps on those FR-8’s are pretty nice. If you have decent eyes an 8” plate at a hundred should be possible.

I will add that I used one of these mounts on a scout project years ago. It was very solid and worked well. Might be another option before you go whole hog with a new barrel.

You might also look into a Timney trigger for it. It will be a worth upgrade now and at a possible later date. A good trigger goes a long way towards helping practical accuracy.

BGDave

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    207   0   0
    Sep 15, 2011
    Beech Grove
    Save yourself $1000 on the re-work and sell it to me for $200. Just like that, you're up $1200. I'll take off all the bolt-ons, patch the holes, and blast away with it. Win/win.
    This ^^^^^ for sure.

Management material for thinking outside the box.
    However, I'm going to keep an eye on you.

Top Bottom