• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DarkRose

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    Columbus, Indiana
    So what's the legality of in-person purchase of ammo in another state. Ok, it's Illinois, so almost a foreign country...

A friend of mine saw a FB post I made where I said something about rarity of .22LR and he was mocking me thinking I was joking about that. Apparently around his area, stores shelves are "bowing" under the amount of .22LR they have in stock...

Supposedly.

Don't you have to have some kind of special Illinois BS Hall Pass ID card to buy ammo and/or firearms there? (FOID card I think it's actually called)

I think he's located near the Danville, IL area, can any members close to the border over there confirm or deny this rumor?

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    I've bought ammo in Illinois before, just have your Indiana driver license handy to prove you are not an Illinois resident. Caveat: Some stores will still not let you purchase but it is still perfectly legal to do so.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Last time I was at a gun shop in IL - I axed the feller if he'd sell to an IN resident. He said he would. I bought my limit of 2 50rd boxes of .22lr. Would've bought all 4 on the shelf if he wouldn't let me.

There is NO IL LAW proscribing a non-prohibited non-resident from purchasing ammunition in IL.

Gun shops A) may not know this and B) may have their own rules.

-J-

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    As others have said, there's no problem with it. NOTE: for an IL resident that wants to buy ammo, they need to show their FOID (Firearms owner ID) card, but when you produce an IN license, that automatically gets you out of the obligation to show the FOID ---since we don't have one here :)

daemon2525

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2014
    Fort Wayne
    I was raised in Illinois and my mother still lives there. I checked out all the Walmarts and gun stores in three small towns and not a 22lr round to be found.

Fullmag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    I was told once upon a time in Illinois You had to have FOID card to buy ammo period I was planning a hunting trip there and part of the requirements was take plenty of shells. Maybe Daemon 2525 can clarify.

Cygnus

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    New England
    Wow in some ways,many ways really, IL is worse than MA. Not on ammo however. You need a MA card or a MA out of state license:laugh: Good luck!
    Also plan that yearly trip to Cheerful Chelsea, MA every year to renew. Otherwise, NO AMMO FOR YOU! (A shell casing could get ya MA Gun Law mimium of 18 mos. in the commomwealth.... Really.)
    But I will still take MA over IL. You have to jump through a few hoops and have not done anything real stupid in your past. BUT you are at the whim of the local PD or Sheriff but you just have to continue to be a good guy and choose where you live wisely...The locals call the towns red, yellow and green towns. Red(No license at all,) Yellow (some yes,some no or restrict first 5 yrs, carry upon renewal) Green (mostly yes to unrestricted)

So if you ever go to New England beware of MA. Unless your final destination is NH where you can roll up to a quarry or sandpit and shoot.....actually northern New England is pretty gun friendly. VT is constituional carry. No state laws....

IL is like IN's MA.

Last edited:

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    I was told once upon a time in Illinois You had to have FOID card to buy ammo period I was planning a hunting trip there and part of the requirements was take plenty of shells. Maybe Daemon 2525 can clarify.

Clarify what exactly? I have personally driven across the border all the way to Waterloo, IL Rural King and purchased ammo including 22lr and 45acp with an Indiana Operators License.

Personally though if I were hunting I would use my own ammo that has been tested in my firearm and not necessarily recently purchased stuff unless you can do a sight in check.

Iroquois

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2011
    The Farm & Fleet store in Bradley, I L sells ammo . They have a sign over their ammo shelf that quotes Illinois law. There are restrictions on buying ammo that are unnecessarily vague. The local Walmart is more lenient, they sell you pistol ammo if you say it's for your rifle. I have seen rifles in all American pistol calibers except .25....so what is pistol ammo.

Top Bottom