Buying a new knife.....Tatical Ka-bar, Case, Glock....

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • longbarrel

Expert
    Rating - 91.7%
    22   2   0
    Nov 1, 2008
    Central Indiana
    I am going to be in the market for a new knife. I am leaning towards a Ka-bar USMC fighting knife or a Case in the same model. I have looked at some Glock and Sog knives, but I really don't want something not made in the U.S. (at least assembled). Looking for suggestions. Will probably use it as a backwoods knife. (i.e. primitive camping, back country packing, long canoe/kayak trips, weeks at a time living in the woods etc.

jclark

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Contact Cubby. He can build you whatever you want. Made in Indiana by an Ingo member.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    I'll give a +1 to cubby, he does some nice work on some beefy lookin' knives.

If you're really looking for a hard-use knife, then I'd recommend upgrading to knives that are specifically designed with those kind of conditions in mind.

tyler34

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    bloomington
    If you're really looking for a hard-use knife, then I'd recommend upgrading to knives that are specifically designed with those kind of conditions in mind.

keep in mind REAL hard use knives take you up in price considerably, which is the quandary with most folks. if you really want a hard use back country/ survival knife look for companies with a rock solid you break it we cover it warranty IIRC cubby offers such a warranty. remember knives for your intended use can be in a life or death situation make sure you pick one that will tip the scales in your favor.:twocents:

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    (i.e. primitive camping, back country packing, long canoe/kayak trips, weeks at a time living in the woods etc.

With these kind of "serious" missions, I'd say it would be worth it to spend good money once on something that will do the job, and do it well the first time. You don't want a broken or dull knife on day 2 of living in the woods for a week.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Got any pics of cubby knives?

https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/the_cutting_edge/15923-another_box_around.html

100_1893.jpg

https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/the_cutting_edge/22732-cassel_pikal_knife.html

100_1965.jpg

https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/the_cutting_edge/36109-stonewashed_drop_point.html

100_1991.jpg

https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/the_cutting_edge/14109-knives_i_have_made.html

100_1878.jpg

g10knives.jpg

ImportedPhotos00081.jpg

100_1879.jpg

100_1860-1.jpg

100_1675.jpg

ImportedPhotos00024.jpg

RelicHound

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 30, 2009
    SW IN
    I am going to be in the market for a new knife. I am leaning towards a Ka-bar USMC fighting knife or a Case in the same model. I have looked at some Glock and Sog knives, but I really don't want something not made in the U.S. (at least assembled). Looking for suggestions. Will probably use it as a backwoods knife. (i.e. primitive camping, back country packing, long canoe/kayak trips, weeks at a time living in the woods etc.

I own one of the ka-bar USMC "fighting knives" and its a great knife for the price. Ive put mine through some hellish abuse..one of my hobbies is metal detecting and I have used the kabar for close to 7 years digging in the ground{and the soil in SW IN in mid summer gets like concrete},cutting roots,prying up rocks...etc etc and she hasnt failed me yet..she aint real pretty anymore but what do ya expect after the abuse I put it through? lol
    I plan on getting with Cubby in the future as Id love to have a knife built to my specs.

oldfb

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Valpo
    I have one of the Glock fixedblades I picked up when midway had them on sale.
    While I haven't beat it severely it does take a nice edge with any of my sharpening kits. (spyderco sharpmaker, Razor and even my EDC bag Myerco Sharpen - it Blackie Collins design.) It also holds the edge has a positive locking sheath that if you use your thumb to disengage the lock the way it is designed for it is plenty fast to hand, long for serious pig sticking and feels pretty well balanced for a $40 knife.
    Supposedly they are balanced for throwing and I don't doubt you might get two good tosses before you were pissed that you ruined a perfectly good knife.lol

IMHO not having some way of putting a service edge on a knife in the field is just silly. With a few $ & some paracord you can make even a marginaly priced knife much more effective even if you were to have a catastrophic failure through strraight up abuse or mis-use, some cheap items in your kit can put you back in business. Break a blade and u can wrap the broken end in para cord for an improv handle.
    Remember making a knife was so easy "a caveman could do it".

I have a production crkt m13 and a cold steel Recon 1 not to mention a bunch of Cheapie tactical folders that are my choice for opening mail and cutting cardboard.

Those cheapies and a Schrade $24 linerlock served me well with some common sense and a $5 carbide sharpener for 15 years in retail, dockworking, construction and landscaping.

The quality stuff is really nice and a place to strive for but having 2 or 3 midgrade knives is better IMHO than a $200-500 knife that if lost in a river or dulled and broken in the badlands...

Remember 1 is none and 2 is 1 when it comes to being prepared.
    Now I know I can't justify 2 $150 to $300 EDC knives but I can see a real need for several backups for each member of the party and a means to resharpen on the fly and secure your gear, so that is how I set our EDC kits up. YMMV

Hopefully I can try cubby out for a GP knife next time.

Hope this helped.

Top Bottom