• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jbell_64

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 11, 2011
    Mitchell
    I just finished up my AR build minus one tiny little aspect..... I have no optic! Anyway, I get a pretty decent discount on Bushnell goodies through work and wondered if anyone had experience with their AR line. Most shooting will be done 100 yards or less. The rifle has a 5.56 16" barrel. I'm also looking at the Midwest Industries SPLP flip up BUIS in addition to whatever optic I go with.

gunworks321

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Noblesville

jbell_64

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 11, 2011
    Mitchell
    The vortex stuff he sells is really good stuff for the price, but my Bushnell discount is around 50% off.....

I considered the 45 degree offset sights but decided I'd rather have something "same plane" so I can cowitness.

gunworks321

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Noblesville
    It has been my experience that the front sight will totally disappear with any magnification. I didn't believe this until I mounted a 3-9 Leupold on my Colt flattop. Sure enough, no front sight visible. Rear sight would just be in the way. YMMV.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    It has been my experience that the front sight will totally disappear with any magnification. I didn't believe this until I mounted a 3-9 Leupold on my Colt flattop. Sure enough, no front sight visible. Rear sight would just be in the way. YMMV.

Correct. Typically the Front sight completely disappears around 2.5x of zoom. Co witnessing threw magnified optics is not really going to work. On the flip side you could look at a QD return to zero mount. The ones on the market that actually return to what I consider zero (with in 1.5 MOA) are not overly cheap, but they can be off in a second and iron sight deployed. Most Cantilever QD mounts are designed in a manner that MBUS sights can be folded down, and put in the rear most notch and tuck under the scope, so all you do is pop the scope off, pop the sights up, and your GTG. I have personally ran sights on a 45, and dont care for it (your mileage may vary). To me when you cant the gun there is not a good way to get a proper cheek weld making irons on a 45 very in accurate (The argument can be made that your not shooting very long range when doing this so accuracy is less important). To me the only thing I feel comfortable running on a 45 is a red dot. Red dots take the cheek weld out of the equation so if the dots on the target you hit it.

Hope thats helpful.

gunworks321

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Noblesville
    Good points! I consider the BUIS at the 45 as a last ditch effort when you dont have time to remove the QD and scope (like the zombie is 10 ft away and closing). I'm going to test that soon as my 45 BUIS is being delivered tomorrow.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    I just finished up my AR build minus one tiny little aspect..... I have no optic! Anyway, I get a pretty decent discount on Bushnell goodies through work and wondered if anyone had experience with their AR line.

Some of them are new optics, others are just existing models with new packaging. I've used their TRS-25 on one of my AKs for several years now, with good results. The "AR Optics" version comes with a tall pedestal riser suitable for use on a flat-top AR. Similarly, the TRS-32 is just a repackaging of the PDTS-135 that Bushnell makes for Tasco, with an tall AR mount included. We recently got the 1-4x scope in at the shop, and I don't care for it at all. It is heavy for its size, the reticle subtensions are too fine for me to make out with my poor eyesight (not unlike Nikon's M-223), and the reticle itself does not feature illumination.

Not bad optics, but not top of the line (or even middle of the line), either.

Top Bottom