• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • paddling_man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Fishers
    How much worse is the sound for the shooter when the cheek weld is so much closer to the chamber? I know it is difficult to define but does anyone have any input? I've never shoot a bullpup config.

TIA

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    The twang from my AR-15 bothers me more than the noises from my Steyr AUG or Bushmaster M17S. Each firearm has it's own funny noise that does come through the hearing protection, but none is offensive to me.

If you are asking is it louder to shoot a bullpup, in my opinion it is not. Most of the noise is out the muzzle anyway, and having a muzzle device like a brake or flash hider can change the perceived noise level from the shooter's position.

What does get me when shooting my bullpups is the flash of brass I can see as it gets kicked out just on the other side of my face. Takes a few rounds to get used to it.

Dave Doehrman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    How much worse is the sound for the shooter when the cheek weld is so much closer to the chamber? I know it is difficult to define but does anyone have any input? I've never shoot a bullpup config.

TIA

I have the MSAR in .223, an FN FS2000 in .223 and the KelTech RFB in .308. With hearing protection I can't really tell any difference in the sound level. I have been up at Young's when Joe has been shooting his Recon Scout in .338 Lapua and you better be standing directly behind him when he shoots that puppy. The .338 Lapua magnum bullpup barrel doesn't extend out beyond the window frame and the blast is felt as well as heard.

paddling_man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Fishers
    Thanks, guys. I've played with the idea of a bullpup but the *idea* that the noise/concussion would be that much worse gave me pause. It sounds like a .223 or 7.62x39 bullpup would be no worse than the MN M44. ;)

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    How do you like your steyr? I've been considering just saving to get one of those instead of buying an AR again

Was going to send this as a PM, but then figured that others might like reading about a weapon most will never have the pleasure of playing with.

I am not only a fan of bullpups, but for some reason have this crazy like of futuristic weapons. The Steyr AUG and USR fit the bill perfectly.

When first picking up the AUG or USR, or for that matter the new copies of them, you notice that they balance differently than the standard rifle. That is until you shoulder them, and then find they balance perfectly.

Yes the trigger takes some getting used to, and I have a USR that the trigger was worked on by a gentleman named Giles Stock. Made it a little smoother, but like any bullpup takes getting used to.

Shooting them is a dream. Very low recoil, easy to keep on target, and that "donut of death" sight is really nice at quick follow up shots.

The strange thing about the USR is that some people don't like it because it was a concession to the Bush evil looking weapon ban. In reality it is just as good if not more accurate because of the heavier barrel. And I think the grey stock look nice.

Things to be careful when shopping for an AUG. Do a lot of research before committing, otherwise you can spend a lot of money on a "real fake". All green ones had 20 inch barrels. All black ones had 16 inch barrels. I have seen 20 inch barrels cut down, rethreaded and installed on stocks that were dyed black to look like the harder to find 16 inch blacks. The giveaway is the fins on the barrel that are missing on cut down barrels.

Regardless, I really like the AUG, and was really happy to see them returning to production by other manufacturers. The only thing that hurts them are their prices. Some people would complain that what you pay for a true Steyr AUG would buy you three AR-15s. While true, ARs are almost a dime a dozen, the real deal AUG is limited to what is in the USA due to our wonderful infringements on the second amendment.

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    The MSAR and the FN FS2000 have no significant blast over a standard AR. The MSAR had an AWESOME trigger, the FN FS2000 literally felt like a NERF gun I have. Literally! Some designs need to work on their triggers!

BTW: Does anyone else's teeth grind when they hear bull"pop"? It's like mag vs. clip to me... :D

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    I have the MSAR in .223, an FN FS2000 in .223 and the KelTech RFB in .308. With hearing protection I can't really tell any difference in the sound level. I have been up at Young's when Joe has been shooting his Recon Scout in .338 Lapua and you better be standing directly behind him when he shoots that puppy. The .338 Lapua magnum bullpup barrel doesn't extend out beyond the window frame and the blast is felt as well as heard.

I fell in love with that RFB when it first came out. What is your impression of it?

Mr. Habib

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Somewhere else
    I can't tell any difference between my AUG and any of my ARs. I don't think the bull pup configuration makes any difference. I think that if there was a difference it would due to the muzzle being about six inches closer to the shooter. That difference would probably be pretty small though.

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    If anything, a Bull Pup should be quieter than a standard configuration rifle of the same length, because the actual effective barrel length is lower and the overpressure when the bullet leaves the barrel should be lower. For equal length barrels, the sound would be slightly closer, but without a muzzle brake, I would doubt it is much difference.

Dave Doehrman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I fell in love with that RFB when it first came out. What is your impression of it?

I love to shoot it and enjoy watching others shoot it and handle it for the first time. The .308 does produce some recoil, but nothing worse than shooting a .308 bolt gun. I liked it so well that I just placed an order for the new Kel-tec bullpup shotgun that is being released soon. The shotgun is based on the RFB design: 18.5 inch barrel, 26 inch overall length and will hold 15 rounds of 2 3/4 inch 12 gauge rounds. The gun isn't released yet, but I have a firm order for one of the first to come in.

KSG_4459web.jpg

I mounted an ACOG with red dot on the RFB when I got it, but the short eye relief on the ACOG plus the straight top on the stock caused the rain sight on the ACOG to contact my forehead when shooting. It only took about 8-10 holes in my forehead before I replaced the ACOG with an EOTec. My wife says I can be stubborn sometimes.....

Here's a link to the info on the shotgun Kel-Tec Unveils The New KSG Dual-Tube Pump Shotgun The Shooter's Log

Top Bottom