• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • INMIline

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 17, 2009
    Indiana/Michigan line
    Anyone have a link leading to the best deal on both? Will a bullet proof vest stop a lead core large caliber rifle round? If it hits the fan I'd think we need to be prepared for incoming 762x39

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    uhhh... Yes and no as far as stopping ability. A lot has to do with the type of round, distance from shooter, etc... Most modern militaries use some type of AP round even former Warsaw Pact weapons users. My advice is to go grey man. Out of site out of mind. If you decide you need armor then be damn sure you get some kind of SAPI plates with it.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    Will a bullet proof vest stop a lead core large caliber rifle round? If it hits the fan I'd think we need to be prepared for incoming 762x39

No soft vest by itself will be rated to stop 7.62x39 or any other large-caliber (or even small caliber, think 5.56) rifle round. To protect against rifle threats, you need hard plates of some sort.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Hum... Vest and a big investment and you may be better off using those funds to buy more of other stuff (water/food/ammo) etc. As jeremy said it may be best to go out of sight out of mind! If STHF there are going to be too many zombies to stop think 275.4 million* of the US.

* Assuming 10% of the US population (306 million) are preppers and will be doing the same thing.

agentl074

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2008
    Anyone have a link leading to the best deal on both? Will a bullet proof vest stop a lead core large caliber rifle round? If it hits the fan I'd think we need to be prepared for incoming 762x39

You will need at least a level III with ceramic plate or better yet a IV plate and level III carrier for .30-06 AP rounds. I have a International Armor Corps level IV vest and a United Shield Level III ballistic helmet :rockwoot: Do some googling and really shop around for a good deal :ingo: Also make sure you get you hind in shape because it aint light.

Indy317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 27, 2008
    There was (last time I checked) a guy from Israel that sells such items via E-Bay. The thing is, this stuff has went way up in price, just like guns and ammo. It it crazy, that is for sure. You best bet is to find a very carrier that can carry both your soft Kevlar style armor (for pistols) and has additional front and back pockets for your rifle plates. Please note that when you add the rifle plates, the vest will become _very_ heavy.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    Please note that when you add the rifle plates, the vest will become _very_ heavy.

Only if the plates themselves are heavy! ;) I've got a set of Level III HDPE plates that weigh about 3-1/2 lbs apiece. I bought them b/c some of the courses I plan to do in the near future include shoot-house work, and require armor. Overall weight of the system is quite manageable, even for my low-speed high-drag arse. :):

gunbunnies

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    NWI
    You might try this place for your anti-bullet wear....

By the way they make pads worn under the body armor to disperse the impact of the projectile, but it's one more layer of protection, and heat... plus another expense to such a defense system...

www.bulletproofme.com

agentl074

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2008
    Only if the plates themselves are heavy! ;) I've got a set of Level III HDPE plates that weigh about 3-1/2 lbs apiece. I bought them b/c some of the courses I plan to do in the near future include shoot-house work, and require armor. Overall weight of the system is quite manageable, even for my low-speed high-drag arse. :):

Nice :rockwoot:

Top Bottom