• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • daddyusmaximus

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.9%
    88   1   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Remington
    This thread got neglected a long time. First there was that whole me getting kecked out thing... then my computer died, and I had to get a new one. Plus It's been slow going anyways...

So... Both axles are rebuilt and back under the Jeep. Well, under the "frame". Each one also has a fresh new Detroit Tru-trac.

Started in on the stereo system. Keep in mind that this being a military tribute, I'm gonna have to hide it. Speakers, shouldn't present too much of a problem, nor should the amp. This is what I came up with for the sub enclosure. You'll see it, and you'll hear it, you just won't know what it is at first glance if you're walking by it in a parking lot.

Jeep Sub Enclosure.jpg

daddyusmaximus

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.9%
    88   1   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Remington
    Went out behind the shed to cut one of the Flowmasters off the old exhaust. Turns out a Flowmaster makes a good mouse house...

Still, they're in good shape. I only need one for this application, so I still have a spare. Think I'll bring the other in before more mice get too comfy in there.

9s.JPG

daddyusmaximus

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.9%
    88   1   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Remington
    Got steel in for the fuel tank. Man, steel has gone up almost as bad as ammo... Been playing around with laying out the dash. Not really taking after any particular model, (M151A1 & M38A1 influenced) but it will have the military vehicle flavor for sure. The outside will even have some deuce & a half cues. (you'll get to see later)

9l.JPG 9m.JPG 9n.JPG 9o.JPG 9p.JPG

daddyusmaximus

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.9%
    88   1   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Remington
    New headers are Summit Racing brand. Better fit, less expensive, ceramic coated. I forgot to include the flanges when I sent back the old headers, so now I have the straight set that came with the Summit brand, and the angled set that came with the Sanderson headers. Whatever ones work best...

9t.JPG 9u.JPG

daddyusmaximus

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.9%
    88   1   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Remington
    I want to run a 15x10 wheel, but the 4.5" backspacing on them sets them a mite close. The 8" wheels that came off the old Jeep I got the axles off have 4" backspace, but damn... these look so good. I'll be running 35x12.50 tires, so maybe a 1/8 or 1/4 inch spacer...? Thing is, this baby is already a CJ with full size axles, so they're gonna be sticking out pretty far as is.

9y.JPG 9z.JPG

daddyusmaximus

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.9%
    88   1   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Remington
    Got around to painting the rear axle. Didn't bother to take it out and drag it out to the driveway though... Just crawled under, and sprayed the crap out of it. Getting to the point where I'm starting to take shortcuts because I want to get this thing done before the world collapses into chaos.

10a.JPG 10b.JPG

daddyusmaximus

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.9%
    88   1   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Remington
    I found one. After a little more than 2 years looking... I found my unicorn.

It all started when I saw this photo on the internet.

47485841_2179296865652128_7611878218378772480_n.jpg

A Jeep top with sides that can swing open, and even be removed with the top staying on. Perfect for fat, old, crippled soldiers who don't feel like climbing over seats to grab gear out of the back, or for having that open air Jeep feel, while still having hard top shade.

Ladies, and gentlemen... I give you my Jeep top. Of course, I have to get to Texas to pick it up, but I'm so happy right now.

God loves me.

10c.PNG 10d.PNG 10e.PNG 10f.PNG 10g.PNG 10h.PNG

daddyusmaximus

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.9%
    88   1   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Remington
    All the pieces of the fuel tank are done, and ready to be stitched together. Loaded them up for the trip to the welder tomorrow. There will be no skid plate. However... the bottom "U" shaped section of the tank, and the baffles are made of material that's equal to the thickness of the factory skid plate, and thicker than the one from the YJ. Sides, and top will be standard fuel tank sheet metal to save weight. (and money) This will be a general purpose off road/overlanding/daily driver Jeep anyway, not a hard core rock crawler.

10i.JPG 10j.JPG

daddyusmaximus

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.9%
    88   1   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Remington
    Looking ahead to after I get the tub back on, I picked up this baby...

10m.JPG

If that looks like a deuce & a half windshield, where each side opens up... that's because it is. It will need to be cut down in booth height, and width, but plan is to build that into the windshield frame. One of my best memories (fun things) is just cruising in a deuce down the road with the breeze blowing in through the bottom of those windows that are opened several inches. Plenty air, no bugs. A lot of times I would set my canteen (or Pepsi/Gatoraid) right on the hood out in front of the windshield frame just behind the open glass as I cruise down the highway.

daddyusmaximus

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.9%
    88   1   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Remington
    Wasn't sure how or when I was ever gonna get down to TX to get that top, but the guy who had it hooked me up. His buddy was coming up to Metropolis, IL (Yes they have a Superman statue) for an archery competition, and would bring it with. Met him down there yesterday. Still spent 10 hrs on the road going down there, and back, but that's a lot less than 17 each way to TX, and with premium $3.75 a gal... I jumped at the chance.

Here it is in Metropolis.

10o.JPG 10p.JPG

Truth, Justice, and the American way... Good thing Metropolis is in Southern IL, and not up near commie chicago...

10q.JPG

At home this AM.

10r.JPG

Top Bottom