• ...and so much more!
  • gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    DaddyM, this thread has inspired me. I'm going to start a search for a XJ Cherokee. I will be going out of state to find one that is rust free but other than that, I'm okay with an extensive rebuild. I will be looking for one unmolested though.

I joined a Jeep Cherokee forum and I will probably post a build thread there and maybe here. Just depends on how long of a project it will be.

It will be my "retirement" vehicle but I want to get it now while I'm still earning a paycheck. I will slowly over time buy the stuff I want/need for it so that I have at least a good portion of it in 5 years when I do actually retire.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Bad weather, bad back, bad hip low budget... bla, bla...

Splurging for the tires now before they get impossible to get.
    Being a car guy this all makes perfect t sense to me.
    I am very glad you posted. I/we were wondering. I know how a big prefect can drag on and also drag on finances but when done it was all worth the time effort and money.

Last edited:

daddyusmaximus

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.9%
    88   1   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Remington
    Being a cat guy this all makes perfect t sense to me.
    I am very glad you posted. I/we were wondering. I know how a big prefect can drag on and also drag on finances but when done it was all worth the time effort and money.
    My being in not so great shape these days is a pain in the ass, but it's the $$$ that has slowed me down. (or rather, lack of $$$) Wife is a teacher's aid, so not a big check there, and none in summer. I just have VA disability. I've spent $6,000 so far in it, and just picked up the last 2 tires today, so that's another grand (more than) just in rubber. The oldest isn't fully established yet, and the youngest is in college too, so there's always help with rent, or a truck payment here and there.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    My being in not so great shape these days is a pain in the ass, but it's the $$$ that has slowed me down. (or rather, lack of $$$) Wife is a teacher's aid, so not a big check there, and none in summer. I just have VA disability. I've spent $6,000 so far in it, and just picked up the last 2 tires today, so that's another grand (more than) just in rubber. The oldest isn't fully established yet, and the youngest is in college too, so there's always help with rent, or a truck payment here and there.
    Yes that is life. The extra stuff we do (like your project) is exactly that. Extra.
    I remember a day when I sold off my 2 projects to keep the lights on and food in the fridge when work got slow.
    Family 1st.

Cavman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 2, 2009
    Just looked through your entire thread. Awesome story to see take place. Glad you're still doing it. I had a project m1009 cucv once. Loved that blazer. But sold it cause needed new floors. Luckily my budd still sends me pics of little upgrades hes done or just driving it.

daddyusmaximus

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.9%
    88   1   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Remington
    Just looked through your entire thread. Awesome story to see take place. Glad you're still doing it. I had a project m1009 cucv once. Loved that blazer. But sold it cause needed new floors. Luckily my budd still sends me pics of little upgrades hes done or just driving it.
    I had a 4 door 1009 suburban.
    OK, not really, but I had my Sub done up like a 1009.
    Sold it so the wife could get a new mini-van.
    (Is that love or what?)

2005-10-08 002.JPG

daddyusmaximus

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.9%
    88   1   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Remington
    OK... problem.
    No easy movement. Months of dirt, sand, leaves, metal shavings, sawdust, broken bolts, and such debris have collected on the floor (not seen in the above photo) meaning the little rollers, they no roll. This prompted a long overdue cleanup that netted what seemed like somewhere around 6.2 metric tons of trash.

11m.JPG

daddyusmaximus

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.9%
    88   1   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Remington
    Now having cleaned up some. I felt like doing something... but no more new parts.
    I looked around for something I could do with what I had in the garage already, and found a seat. It's one I got for the Montero some time back, but it turned out to be the wrong year, and wouldn't fit, so I had to make a bracket to fix the old seat. AND... it's kinda desert tan looking... hum. It's not gonna fit in the YJ Tub either, but I can try to MAKE it fit. So out came the cut off wheel, and grinder, and off came the mounting tabs.

11n.JPG

11o.JPG

11p.JPG

daddyusmaximus

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.9%
    88   1   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Remington
    Then I got out the custom home fabbed seat bracket that came with the tub. The previous owner made it to fit TJ seats to it. It has a real beefy bottom plate for welding to, so I'll just reuse that. First, the old brackets need to come off. They're about 12.5" apart, and the new seat rails are 16" apart. This is as far as I got before I was too sore to anything else, so that's it for the time being. I can build wings off the very strong front posts, and then build all new rear posts.
    Later.
    I need a nap.
    I have a Treasure Hunt drawing to officiate tonight at the VFW.

11q.JPG

11r.JPG

daddyusmaximus

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.9%
    88   1   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Remington
    Well, a man can only do so much on one thing before his ADHD kicks in... or his welder craps out. Wire feed problems when I was tacking in the new mounts. That's ok, my welding sucks anyhow. The proverbial phrase "Looks like Ray Charles did it with his feet." comes to mind. So... I took all the pieces for the mounts to a local machine shop to be stitched together. Next, I looked around for something I COULD work on. I found this old hitch from when I had a F-250 Super Duty. It sticks out way too far, and that big adjustable mounting plate has to go, so U started in with the cutting wheel & grinder again.

IMG_1369.JPG

IMG_1370.JPG

daddyusmaximus

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.9%
    88   1   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Remington
    Got the seat bracket back all welded up. They did good. I took in all the pieces I had cut, told them what I wanted, and that's what I got. I'm happy. Should hold up pretty well. I can undo 4 bolts to pull the seat, and sliders, leaving the bottom plate in the tub if need be. Got the army style anti-theft chain welded to the plate so I can run it through the steering wheel and lock it up too.

11u.jpg

11v.jpg

Also got a couple packages in. My shifter, and the brake lines. I'll spare you the unboxing, but will post photos later.

daddyusmaximus

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.9%
    88   1   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Remington
    Got the pintle hitch finished up, and mounted today. I had to order the plate for the safety chains to maintain that military look. Once I got the bar shortened, (yes BAR, not tube... that's a solid 2" square bar) and drilled a new hole in it (not something you do with just one battery) I put the safety chain bracket on and mounted it up. Much more like an original off a military jeep. Just have to wait for a warm day to paint it. (and the seat bracket) Gives it that proper military look from the rear end.

11w.jpg

11x.jpg

Top Bottom