• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dragon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Muncie, IN
    I've seen a few posts recently that got me thinking about this more as my plans involve my parents, one of which has health issues preventing a bugout on foot. Bugging in is a decent option other than the neighborhood surrounding where my parents live, so that would be a last resort.

I don't want to rely on bugging out via vehicle, so what ideas can you come up with to bugout with someone who could only walk a couple of miles at a time? A bicycle wouldn't be much better as dizziness after prolonged physical activity is an issue. The one major advantage would be that we can use pretty much all side streets to get out of town and country roads beyond that to get to our BOL which is about 60 miles away. I could make this trip on foot in 72 hours or on a bike in less and by car using planned routes it would take about 2.5-3 hours.

That is the scenario, what would your plan be? Bugging in isn't a long-term solution so eventually you have to go.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    There are a hundred ways to consider this. My wife can not make it through the store without sitting occasionally to rest so we face the same thing. We intend to bug in until we know what is up. Gather our group and resources and bug out if need be. We hope to keep the houses intact as long as possible but we have routes out of town to each BOL if we need to go. Everything depends on the nature of the crisis.

Ted

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2012
    There are a hundred ways to consider this. My wife can not make it through the store without sitting occasionally to rest so we face the same thing. We intend to bug in until we know what is up. Gather our group and resources and bug out if need be. We hope to keep the houses intact as long as possible but we have routes out of town to each BOL if we need to go. Everything depends on the nature of the crisis.

This.

'Bugging in' is generally the smart mode to follow, simply because most people already know the area and the people around them. It also provides adequate time to load the car and prepare to leave if needed.

If leaving becomes necessity, then news information and ecomm can provide intel upon potential obstacles and other considerations upon your selected routes.

Dragon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Muncie, IN
    Our plan has always been similar. Bug in until we know for sure that we need to go and then it would be a small convoy of vehicles moving with plenty of us armed, if necessary.

I'm just looking for some ideas in case cars/trucks can't make it the entire way.

Dragon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Muncie, IN
    Might want to check out a rickshaw.

This is hilarious actually because I had the same thought and then a friend suggested the same thing when we spoke lastnight. I also had an idea of making a cart out of two mountain bikes by connecting them at their axles. Could then make a simple frame and it would be capable of carrying gear as well.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 17, 2009
    Dyer
    I have a similar issue, a two year old. Not that she has any health issues, but she isn't going to be walking very far. Buckstopshere actually has a good idea. In my case I am considering an off-road stroller. My philosophy in bugging out is to always try and use the car first. That puts limiting factors on my mobility options if bugging out by car becomes impossible. The limiting factor is that I have to fit my secondary option in the car with me.

Another option for me is the shooting cart: 2-Gun Shooting Cart Basic

For an adult sized person I am not sure what you could buy "readymade".

Top Bottom