• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jketron

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2015
    indy
    So I have been thinking about making a bug out bag but don't know exactly what all to put in it. Also does anyone have advice on a certain kind of bag or brief case that would be durable but easily carried.

dibdee83

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 28, 2015
    indiana
    The link is a very good start. My BOB started out a GI large frame ALICE pack and Im glad I shed that thing for something much smaller and just as effective just more comfortable. Now its a TacForce large hydration pack with just enough stuff to last a few days at most to get me home from a 20 mile away job.

1861navy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2013
    There's a variety of things to put in a BOB but it really comes down to your situation. The area you live in and plan on staying during, your skills and fitness level, and your finances all play a part in what should go in it.

While setting one up make sure to cover your priorities for survival, and don't go overboard on luxuries that will make your pack too heavy. This is something that many first timers do.
    Also, test your gear in several different weather conditions and learn to use it well.
    As far as bags go check out maxpedition or Duluth pack. They make quality packs and have a variety options.

flatlander

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Noblesville
    There are so many different "bags" ideas that you would need to narrow your question down a lot to get good info.
    Get Home Bag
    Bug Out Bag
    Get Out of Dodge Bag
    Douche Bag
    Ass Bag
    etc
    etc
    There are so many ideas out there that you can drive yourself nuts. Remember to cover shelter, water and food and build from there based on your skills.

Bob

LtScott14

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Porter County
    Start with a day backpack. Add water bottle, poncho, firestarting goods, Swiss Army Knife/ Multitool, flashlite(mini mag type are cheap, and work), paracord (50ft), compass/map, couple of Granola bars. Now your set for Get Home Bag. Look at WallyMart in camping goods, but be aware they sell some China junk. If you are starting remember you need a house Bug Out Bag too. Can't really name it all, but lots of threads for you to read as above posts suggest.
    Good luck, get prepped!

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Start with security. That's your number 1 priority always. You wouldn't build a shelter in the middle of a highway or under a dead tree nor in the ghetto (if forced) without security.

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    There are so many different "bags" ideas that you would need to narrow your question down a lot to get good info.
    Get Home Bag
    Bug Out Bag
    Get Out of Dodge Bag
    Douche Bag
    Ass Bag
    etc
    etc
    There are so many ideas out there that you can drive yourself nuts. Remember to cover shelter, water and food and build from there based on your skills.

Bob

Flatlander nailed the thought process in my opinion!

How we think and the words we use are critical to guiding our logic and thought processes. By my definition a "bug out bag" is "some form of container that stays at your home containing critically needed items that facilitates someone to grab and leave their home within minutes of receiving information." There is NO other definition that applies when I talk about a bug out bag.

Why am I so narrow when some folks will say "it has many different meanings to many different people." My answer is "because we need to be on the same page of a definition so we can communicate better and think more logically." As an example, you will see a post about once a month that asks something like, "what's the best gun?" The almost immediate response is "best gun for what?" This is an important and critical clarification as the best gun for hunting geese is far different from the best gun for hunting deer without even going into home defense or personal carry.

With that out of the way I would ask, "what is the greatest risk to you in your geographic location that could cause you to leave your home with almost no warning?" I live in Fort Wayne, and there is almost no threat that I would face where I wouldn't be better off staying at home than running! Tornado? Stay indoors. Really bad storm? Stay indoors. Massive social upheaval? Possible, but not in a flash situation. I will more than likely have time (at least 20 minutes) to pack and run. For those who live down on the Ohio River they may face the emergency of a flash flood, which would apply to them and create a different risk analysis. For the folks up in NW Indiana they are just south of Cook Nuclear Power Plant, so if it were to experience an event they may well need to grab and go. For me, if Cook did have an emergency and the wind blew radioactive dust my way it would have to cover 100 miles as the crow flies. Even in high winds blowing at 30mph I would have three (3) hours of warning. I don't need a bug out bag for that. South Bend may well need a bug out bag.

All that aside I believe the greater need for me and most people is for a "get home bag." This is "a container that always remains in the vehicle containing critically needed items to facilitate getting home to safety OR allowing you to survive in a less than ideal location." Either way, it helps you survive to get home. I believe I am far more likely to be stranded on the road somewhere in a crisis and will need help to get home than I am to face an event without warning that necessitates my leaving my home.

As such, my get home bag has emergency food, clean water, basic camping tools, the ability to make more clean water, some trade items, a change of underclothes, a good army blanket, a John Wayne can opener, the ability to make and carry clean water, FM 21-76 (since I don't know a lot), and a few other miscellaneous items. This way if I ever become stranded in almost any location I can survive there until help arrives or start humping it out and have the confidence that I am at least equipped to go for at least ten (10) days before running out of food. All of that is contained in an ALICE pack, so I can just grab it and go. My water supply is only at three (3) days so I need to improve that.

Consider where you live and the most likely risk you will face. Prepare for that. Then go down the list to the second most likely, third, and so on. Preparing for one of these will heavily overlap with the others so that makes things easier. Then consider the most likely place you will be if that were to occur. At home, in the car, at work, visiting with friends or family, and so on. Then consider planning for both the event and the geographic location. I think you will find a "get home back" will have higher priority than a "bug out bag." Of course, you also have to consider "bunker mode." Where you are in the best location possible and your supplies there. This is probably the greatest risk to plan for. What if power goes out? What if power goes out in the summer or winter? On brutally cold days during winter you won't need power for the freezer, so your priorities may shift for a home generator.

Just make certain you never, ever overlook preparing for the zombie apocalypse (or Mad Max)!:ar15: After all, if it weren't for zombies we'd have almost nothing to prompt our prepping minds.;)

Regards,

Doug

Last edited:

flatlander

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Noblesville
    3 minutes without air
    3 hours without shelter (Think winter/ cold rain etc)
    3 days without water
    3 weeks without food

Security? Use what's between your ears and, more often than not, you'll be ok. The O.P. asked about a "Bag" anyway so most here would already be armed anyway.
    Somebody asked me many years ago in my former profession what 3 things I would like to have with me if I knew I'd be in a survival situation. I stated- A knife..........................something to start a fire with............................................... and a fat friend. Can't understand why nobody want's to go camping with me anymore:dunno:

Bob

obijohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Terre Haute
    While I believe that material preparedness is very important, in this case a BOB, training is the first thing that should "go in the bag". Consider that without knowledge, you may, and likely will, weigh your self down with items that are useful, but you haven't a clue how to utilize. Are you relocating due to natural disaster or because of a dictated evacuation? Or is it the other end of the spectrum, a zombie apocalypse? One BOB could serve in all scenarios, but loading a ruck for what YOU perceive as the most likely would be prudent.

If I were to recommend BOB contents, my list would include a few days worth of food, some water, the ability to make fire, a good blade, the means to shelter yourself, some cordage and some basic first aid supplies. Add to that any maintenance prescriptions: meds, glasses etc and you are good to go. And toilet paper. I cannot express the importance of toilet paper.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    3 minutes without air
    3 hours without shelter (Think winter/ cold rain etc)
    3 days without water
    3 weeks without food

Security? Use what's between your ears and, more often than not, you'll be ok. The O.P. asked about a "Bag" anyway so most here would already be armed anyway.
    Somebody asked me many years ago in my former profession what 3 things I would like to have with me if I knew I'd be in a survival situation. I stated- A knife..........................something to start a fire with............................................... and a fat friend. Can't understand why nobody want's to go camping with me anymore:dunno:

Bob
    Your assuming most people have something between their ears. That's nice of you. Shelter is part of security. I don't know how they taught survival 50 years ago but I do know how it's taught within the last 10 and that's all I have to go by. Sorry

flatlander

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Noblesville
    Your assuming most people have something between their ears. That's nice of you. Shelter is part of security. I don't know how they taught survival 50 years ago but I do know how it's taught within the last 10 and that's all I have to go by. Sorry

LOL. You are correct. Figured if somebody was here asking questions they had at least a desire to increase the density of the mass. Not real sure how they taught it 50 years ago either as I was only 6 and having fun. For the decades I was a .mil instructor, and most the current instructors, they separate security and shelter unless you go to .mil type operations vs strictly survival situations. If we go there, the basics still apply unless you DO want them to pry it from your cold dead fingers because you forgot the rules of 3.
    As in anything, use what you want and leave the rest but this is just my opinion based on my experience. I stick to my original recommendations to the O.P.

Bob

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    LOL. You are correct. Figured if somebody was here asking questions they had at least a desire to increase the density of the mass. Not real sure how they taught it 50 years ago either as I was only 6 and having fun. For the decades I was a .mil instructor, and most the current instructors, they separate security and shelter unless you go to .mil type operations vs strictly survival situations. If we go there, the basics still apply unless you DO want them to pry it from your cold dead fingers because you forgot the rules of 3.
    As in anything, use what you want and leave the rest but this is just my opinion based on my experience. I stick to my original recommendations to the O.P.

Bob
    That's where most of my training comes from also. Shelter should start with appropriate clothing for your environment. But security was always strongly emphasized first. I agree the purpose is to learn from each other. Hopefully people listen. I have my doubts. On gun stuff I can literally have someone ask my opinion (prefacing it by saying they don't know anything about guns) and when I give my recommendation they try to argue with me. Wtf? People are so dumb

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    I know its already been said, but it need to be stressed again, whatever bag and gear you decide on, take it out and actually USE it, before telling yourself you are now prepared for bad circumstances! You'll learn a lot more by humping the thing around for a few miles than you'll ever learn by reading about it. Not that places like INGO are a bad idea, but I know quite a few people that have put together GHBs or BOBs, but have never really spent any time getting familiar with the stuff.

LtScott14

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Porter County
    Just watched a segment of "Alone", and one guy bailed due to losing his way to make fire. No fire means no water boil, food prep, or warmth. Not to argue, but I understand he was now in a jam. Take 3 ways, always. They are on a TV show, but dying isn't acceptable anytime. Make sure you check everytime before you go it all works. Spare batteries, sparkers, lighters, store as much gear in zip freezer bags.
    Just remember the line 'It can happen to you".

ghunter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 23, 2009
    nap-town
    Whatever you put in your BOB, don't forget a tooth brush and tooth paste. You can go on Youtube and see guys with the most tacticool bags on the planet, and they have no hygiene items at all.

My bug out bag is also my patrol bag, so there's some job related stuff in there as well. Just consider what you use everyday, and make sure you have spares of such things. Two is one and one is none.

Top Bottom