• ...and so much more!
  • STFU

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Sep 30, 2015
    Hamilton County
    Are you allowing walk ons? Had to order some replacement parts and didnt want to sign up if they didnt arrive in time. Just tried to sign up and practiscore is closed
    AFAIK, the answer is Yes.

That said, do not miss the Safety Meeting!

(Edit: G7 beat me to it by a minute.)

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    Great match! Maybe throw the "paint dots on the target" thing in the trash can with the other good idea fairies that didn't work out. But I guess it was a gimmie for the cylinder choke guys who lost big on another stage.

Felt better about the spinner after watching everyone else eat crap trying to clear all the targets on that stage.

My squad had extremely good luck with guns this time. Nobody struggled with malfunctions and nothing broke, even for the guy with the VR80.

STFU

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Sep 30, 2015
    Hamilton County
    Concur. It was a great day (read as: No rain), and we all had fun...except for the star and the spinner.

Scores are up:

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Concur. It was a great day (read as: No rain), and we all had fun...except for the star and the spinner.

Scores are up:
    You are an awful person for putting stars in matches.

There. I said it. :p :):

Hope to make the next one. Though its a bit hard on Sundays. I cant always find somebody to cover for me in the booth.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    The star was cool! It's just that with our super light birdshot loads and cylinder chokes, many of us weren't able to knock those targets off and had to call the hits instead.

Only a 5 second penalty for skipping the spinner was a little silly. Without tight chokes and zippy loads, nobody was spinning it at that distance anyway. Nice idea but most of us needed to be at half that distance to have real effect on the spinner.

STFU

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Sep 30, 2015
    Hamilton County
    The star was cool! It's just that with our super light birdshot loads and cylinder chokes, many of us weren't able to knock those targets off and had to call the hits instead.

Only a 5 second penalty for skipping the spinner was a little silly. Without tight chokes and zippy loads, nobody was spinning it at that distance anyway. Nice idea but most of us needed to be at half that distance to have real effect on the spinner.

The issue with the star is (as you mention above) that the "lite hits" on the plates would push them straight back and they would wedge down between the arm and the bolt (that holds the spring). :wallbash: I saw evidence of this when resetting it more than once.

That^^^ seems to be the reason that certain plates would not fall even with multiple direct hits.

As for skipping the spinner...I have been told that the penalty can be as high as 30 seconds for not getting it to make a complete rotation.
    I tried twice today...that cost me closer to 40 seconds due to reloading, etc. I should have skipped it for sure. Would have moved me up a spot in the rankings. Live and learn! :dunno:

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    The issue with the star is (as you mention above) that the "lite hits" on the plates would push them straight back and they would wedge down between the arm and the bolt (that holds the spring). :wallbash: I saw evidence of this when resetting it more than once.

That^^^ seems to be the reason that certain plates would not fall even with multiple direct hits.

As for skipping the spinner...I have been told that the penalty can be as high as 30 seconds for not getting it to make a complete rotation.
    I tried twice today...that cost me closer to 40 seconds due to reloading, etc. I should have skipped it for sure. Would have moved me up a spot in the rankings. Live and learn! :dunno:
    Yeah I just got tired and gave up. Saved what probably would have been another 30+ seconds burning the rest of my ammo on it.

The star not dropping threw me for a loop. I couldn't quite spot the impacts on the steel through my ghost ring sights, I was thinking I was sending shots into the dirt under them or something.

rosejm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 28, 2013
    NWI
    Great match!

Yeah, the spinner is almost always a throwaway without extra capacity and/or a tight choke. Being forced to engage all other clusters before engaging it again was just 6+ shells in the can (or more depending on your stubbornness tenacity).

IMO, balancing number, distance and type of targets for a variety of equipment in a shotgun match is what makes stage design so difficult. Too few and the box-mag/big-tube fellas are bored, but too many and the 4+1 guys are reloading 5 or more times. Too much distance and you'll need a full choke to even see movement, much less knock down.

On a bright note, I think everyone enjoyed the toaster pigeon thrower!

I definitely think a SxS or O/U would have done well today, especially if the extractor worked well.
    Think how many stages would have been drastically shorter if you only engaged 5 of the targets...

STFU

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Sep 30, 2015
    Hamilton County
    Great match!

Yeah, the spinner is almost always a throwaway without extra capacity and/or a tight choke. Being forced to engage all other clusters before engaging it again was just 6+ shells in the can (or more depending on your stubbornness tenacity).

IMO, balancing number, distance and type of targets for a variety of equipment in a shotgun match is what makes stage design so difficult. Too few and the box-mag/big-tube fellas are bored, but too many and the 4+1 guys are reloading 5 or more times. Too much distance and you'll need a full choke to even see movement, much less knock down.

I definitely think a SxS or O/U would have done well today, especially if the extractor worked well.
    Think how many stages would have been drastically shorter if you only engaged 5 of the targets...
    Yes, but the most ridiculous part of having the spinner was only being able to engage it once per series of engagements.
    That was just 6 shells thrown away for no reason. SMH. Only one guy on our squad got it to go and he had a 28" barrel and hit it 5 times at the very end of the stage. Seems like most took a "Mike" on that one.

As for the variety...that's why we have different divisions, right? That said, I did change chokes between two of the stages just due to the distance. Moving to a "lite-modified" made the the Carnival "stars" much easier.

The toaster was great and I would love to see a few more of those sprinkled in.

Reactions: Ark

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    Great match!

Was there a target number cut for the break actions? I thought about my SxS but I had no way to carry doubles and no ejectors.

Ended up winning at pumps, but honestly just because I gave up the spinner outright. The pump did force some more deliberate aimed shots versus being able to just hose.

The IWIs were cool but it looked like it was easy to get thrown off by the tube changes. They're much smaller in person than they look online.

STFU

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Sep 30, 2015
    Hamilton County
    AFAIK, there were no break-action competitors. I did not see any and none show up in the Division column on PractiScore.
    They would show up as DBN or DBO.

I gave up after two or three concerted tries as well. I should have given up after the first try...would have easily shaved 35-40 seconds off on that one target AND would have cost me the exact same "Failure to Neutralize" penalty. What a waste.

I have a Tavor SAR and love it. I have just never been interested in the IWI shotgun. Not sure why...to each his own. :cool:

And I hope no one takes this as me bitching. I had a great day and look forward to the next BSC!

rosejm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 28, 2013
    NWI
    Was there a target number cut for the break actions? I thought about my SxS but I had no way to carry doubles and no ejectors.
    Yeah, there's a handicap that only requires engaging the first 5 targets on each stage.
    I bet some of those cowboy action shooters could really rip through 2 reloads.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    Yeah, there's a handicap that only requires engaging the first 5 targets on each stage.
    I bet some of those cowboy action shooters could really rip through 2 reloads.
    Yeah that's a big advantage. If you could load doubles and clear your spent shells fast, you could rip. Defeats some of the fun.

Top Bottom