• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    I would like to see the city countersue for the damage caused in the riot that they played a big part in inciting.
    There is video evidence of Michael Brown's father yelling for the crowd to "burn this b**** down". I'd say that's pretty good evidence of their role in the riots.

slowG

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 15, 2010
    Now what do you think about this?

- Michael Brown's parents will file a wrongful death civil lawsuit against Ferguson, Missouri and the police officer who defended himself against the unarmed robbery suspect last August in the St. Louis suburb, a family attorney said on Thursday.
    "There were

just wanted to word it so that no one would care... Same facts..

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    This suit might have legs given the report that was released concerning the report that was just released. Wilson shoot was good, but they're going to ignore the specific facts of the case and place the general ill-behavior of FPD on Wilson.

bmbutch

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    Southern Indiana
    Wonder how the family would feel if he filed a counter suit for the mental anguish of having to kill another human. The thug was under 18 so doesn't that make the parents still legally responsible?

That would be awesome, would love to see some high profile lawyer represent him (for free) & just destroy the thug makers.

AA&E

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 4, 2014
    Southern Indiana
    I think his grandmother (the one that raised him) should be the only one that has a legal right to sue. These losers weren't a presence in his life until it was time to march in front of the cameras and boohoo about their thug ass son and his poor decision making skills.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    In a sane world, the city and the former officer would counter sue them and all their family members for contributing to the situation...and for 2-3-4x the amount. Include the parents, all siblings, all grand parents, any/all family friends they can identify. Every. single. one of them. Perhaps all those folks feeling the pressure would trickle down into some thicker skulls and the original suit would be dropped.

As an aside: Are YOU ready for a civil suit? Or three? Because if you ever use a firearm against another person or persons, it'll happen.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    In a sane world, the city and the former officer would counter sue them and all their family members for contributing to the situation...and for 2-3-4x the amount. Include the parents, all siblings, all grand parents, any/all family friends they can identify. Every. single. one of them. Perhaps all those folks feeling the pressure would trickle down into some thicker skulls and the original suit would be dropped.

As an aside: Are YOU ready for a civil suit? Or three? Because if you ever use a firearm against another person or persons, it'll happen.

I thought there was a statute in Indiana that protects you from civil lawsuits?

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I'm sure that the insurance coverage will be based upon Officer Wilson's status at the time of the incident, not currently. This includes the insurer providing a legal defense.

As for the merits, if the shooting was justifiable, that should carry the day, but the standard of proof is different, lower, in the civil court than in a criminal case. Ultimately, it will take 3 or 4 years to resolve unless the city really wants to dump this soon.....which I kind of doubt.

...and the report was released is irrelevant to whether this individual shooting was justified...not that weak willed judges may not allow it into evidence.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    Now what do you think about this?

Stopped caring months ago.

The information I have seen suggests a good shoot. Barring some new revelation, they should lose the suit. I don't have to hear any of their names again.

Rambone exits thread.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Almost 17 years of practice including defending several civil suits against law enforcement officers. I have never​ seen an officer have to pay for his own defense or pay damages for actions taken while on duty. Never.

Like everything else, I'm sure it's happened somewhere...some time, but I can't imagine it would happen here.

lazarus0213

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 98.3%
    58   1   1
    Jan 29, 2010
    Eden
    wouldnt it be dandy cool and human of people to accept that they did something really dumb , or thier kid/sibling/family member/ friend just did something really really dumb and paid for it dearly! I would like to know if its okay to file a civil suit againts browns dad for Yelling "burn this *****" and starting a racial riot? where has personal responsabilty gone? Why is it okay for dead beat suck a@@ parents to not care how a child acts or behaves until something like this happens, then the whole damn family is infront of a camera screaming about racial inequality and hes such a good kid bullsh!t........... I am so sick of seeing this around every corner. Please make it stop! Stop the world, I want to get off now!

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I thought there was a statute in Indiana that protects you from civil lawsuits?

These do not apply to civil rights suits brought under federal law.

A governmental entity or an employee acting within the scope of the employee's employment is not liable if a loss results from the following:

(8) The adoption and enforcement of or failure to adopt or enforce:

(A) a law (including rules and regulations); ...

...unless the act of enforcement constitutes false arrest or false imprisonment.

Ind. Code § 34-13-3-3

f the person reasonably believes that that force is necessary to prevent serious bodily injury to the person or a third person or the commission of a forcible felony. No person in this state shall be placed in legal jeopardy of any kind whatsoever for protecting the person or a third person by reasonable means necessary.

Ind. Code § 35-41-3-2

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Where is his "qualified immunity" that allows us to do whatever we want without fear of having to pay civil suit decision out of pocket?

Top Bottom