• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 13, 2009
    Southern, IN
    And those clues would be what?..... Profiling and that ain't gonna happen on Holder's watch. Hell the TSA won't even do it knowing that most terrorists are Muslim men aged 18-25. The feds won't do what needs to be done, they won't let the states do it either, and both parties want them here.(Dems for votes, Reps for cheap labor). When are we as Americans and the masters of our political parties ever gonna hold the congress critters accountable and make them do their jobs?

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Here's a different take, (likely the one the Mail got their story from). It gets mentioned in this that the border control people are the ones who likely screwed up, not the Scottish couple. They were treated shabbily by our immigration people and will never return to our country because of their crappy treatment. Can't help but wonder how many other people will take the same decision and avoid our police state country? There are plenty of other countries that will welcome them and their money. Tourism is one of the few things this country has left that anyone might possibly want and we've got morons ruining that.

Couple's dream road trip in US turns to nightmare after pair are jailed | Highlands & Islands | STV News

Garb

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 4, 2009
    Richmond
    It can't be done completely. But it's not as if there aren't other measures of evidence that can be used. And federal law allows for the request of immigrant papers. In fact, it demands their production upon request.

I'll grant the devil is in the details in knowing who to ask. And the catch-22 that if you knew who to ask, you wouldn't have to ask. :D But there are clues. So it's not completely impossible.

So let's say a legal immigrant who has already gained their citizenship gets pulled over. Are they required to produce their papers on request? No, it isn't completely impossible, but it would be much more difficult than some people on this forum assume.

joslar15

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Bloomington
    Here's a different take, (likely the one the Mail got their story from). It gets mentioned in this that the border control people are the ones who likely screwed up, not the Scottish couple. They were treated shabbily by our immigration people and will never return to our country because of their crappy treatment. Can't help but wonder how many other people will take the same decision and avoid our police state country? There are plenty of other countries that will welcome them and their money. Tourism is one of the few things this country has left that anyone might possibly want and we've got morons ruining that.

Couple's dream road trip in US turns to nightmare after pair are jailed | Highlands & Islands | STV News

But as they re-entered America the customs staff forgot to stamp their visa and when armed Border control guards in Texas spotted the error they were remanded.

Let's hear it for Janet Napolitano, ICE and Department of Homeland Security!

Bond 281

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    Broomfield, CO
    Nope, I don't care what they said they were doing. They can say anything they want. So what they were on vacation? They could be al qaeda operatives for all I know. They are illegal and they need to go back to England before they get too comfortable. Besides, who travels to other countries and not understand the limitations of their visa? I would be terrified to do that, but they "assumed" their stay would be automatically lengthened? Wrong!

I'd really like to think that this was meant to be purple. I really would. Older British couple visiting family might be al qaeda now? Paranoid much? I would think that they would just be allowed to leave on their flight. At the most, brief detention in a comfortable space until their flight, or on the next flight.

I can't conceive how you think 5 weeks in horrible conditions is somehow just punishment for what's an oversight, at best, by an elderly couple with family in the United States, and hailing from the country that's our biggest ally. ESPECIALLY considering that they had prior approval to be here. AND that this was much harsher than what we do with illegal immigrants who completely bypass proper channels. I can understand deporting them (though as a civilized country certain allowances ought to be made for a country we have such ties with), just as I could understand getting a ticket for jaywalking. Both sort of petty, but hey, you did break the law. What I can't understand is 5 weeks in squalid conditions for them, just as I couldn't understand a police beat-down and jail time for jaywalking. Part of a proper legal code is fitting punishment for crime. Do you honestly think 5 weeks in those conditions is fitting for that?

All of this is even ignoring the OTHER article which cited a mistake by the customs person. THEY WERE LET INTO THE COUNTRY BY A UNITED STATES CUSTOMS OFFICIAL. They didn't sneakily cross. If their visa had expired and they still were let in as though it wasn't an issue, that's a hugely mitigating factor. The actions of our government, based on the knowledge at hand, is nothing less than absolutely deplorable.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Lets bring up Operation Wetback II.

Besides, you think we would have been treated differently(less harshly) in another country, if WE let our VISA expire while there???

I seriously doubt it.

Riiiiight.... there couldn't possibly be a worse idea than reviving that operation.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    I'd really like to think that this was meant to be purple. I really would. Older British couple visiting family might be al qaeda now? Paranoid much? I would think that they would just be allowed to leave on their flight. At the most, brief detention in a comfortable space until their flight, or on the next flight.

I can't conceive how you think 5 weeks in horrible conditions is somehow just punishment for what's an oversight, at best, by an elderly couple with family in the United States, and hailing from the country that's our biggest ally. ESPECIALLY considering that they had prior approval to be here. AND that this was much harsher than what we do with illegal immigrants who completely bypass proper channels. I can understand deporting them (though as a civilized country certain allowances ought to be made for a country we have such ties with), just as I could understand getting a ticket for jaywalking. Both sort of petty, but hey, you did break the law. What I can't understand is 5 weeks in squalid conditions for them, just as I couldn't understand a police beat-down and jail time for jaywalking. Part of a proper legal code is fitting punishment for crime. Do you honestly think 5 weeks in those conditions is fitting for that?

All of this is even ignoring the OTHER article which cited a mistake by the customs person. THEY WERE LET INTO THE COUNTRY BY A UNITED STATES CUSTOMS OFFICIAL. They didn't sneakily cross. If their visa had expired and they still were let in as though it wasn't an issue, that's a hugely mitigating factor. The actions of our government, based on the knowledge at hand, is nothing less than absolutely deplorable.

So your stance is that because they entered the nation legally, and are from a nation we have strong ties with, they get to avoid the headaches associated with deportations? :scratch:

Uh, not sure if you know this, but about 5 million illegals came here legally. Well, 4,999,998 now.

The funny thing about this, is that Obama's latest "executive order," (there's a thread) could have been used in this instance.

Bond 281

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    Broomfield, CO
    So your stance is that because they entered the nation legally, and are from a nation we have strong ties with, they get to avoid the headaches associated with deportations? :scratch:

Uh, not sure if you know this, but about 5 million illegals came here legally. Well, 4,999,998 now.

The funny thing about this, is that Obama's latest "executive order," (there's a thread) could have been used in this instance.

5 weeks in prison isn't exactly a headache. My stance would be that given they had been to this country many times before, had at least initially a valid visa, were let back in from Canada by a customs official with no issue, have no major criminal history, weren't trying to illegally immigrate, already had tickets to go home within a week, AND they were from a country that we have strong, friendly ties with.....imprisoning them in that manner was completely idiotic and excessive.

You're a cop, right? Have you give tickets to every single person you've ever pulled over for a traffic violation? I HIGHLY doubt it. I'm sure you understand that there can be a lot of mitigating factors and sometimes a simple warning is all an offense warrants. If we really wanted to "send a message" or something then just detain them until their plane was scheduled to go. That would be enough of an inconvenience. 5 weeks in a dirty detention center with actual criminals? Excessive.

Edit: I'm aware that many illegal immigrants came here on temporary work visas and the like. There wasn't even a remote suggestion that they were attempting to stay. The facts that they have visited then left many times before, had a plane ticket to leave, and, let's face it, aren't really from a country with which we have major issues with illegal immigration don't really imply to me that there was any real intent to stay. But then again, maybe I'm just being too logical about this.

Last edited:

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    5 weeks in prison isn't exactly a headache. My stance would be that given they had been to this country many times before, had at least initially a valid visa, were let back in from Canada by a customs official with no issue, have no major criminal history, weren't trying to illegally immigrate, already had tickets to go home within a week, AND they were from a country that we have strong, friendly ties with.....imprisoning them in that manner was completely idiotic and excessive.

You're a cop, right? Have you give tickets to every single person you've ever pulled over for a traffic violation? I HIGHLY doubt it. I'm sure you understand that there can be a lot of mitigating factors and sometimes a simple warning is all an offense warrants. If we really wanted to "send a message" or something then just detain them until their plane was scheduled to go. That would be enough of an inconvenience. 5 weeks in a dirty detention center with actual criminals? Excessive.

I see you're point, and lucky for you, ICE has just instituted a policy change where this would have been relevant. I'm actually wondering if this instance didn't play a role in that change.

Bond 281

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    Broomfield, CO
    I see you're point, and lucky for you, ICE has just instituted a policy change where this would have been relevant. I'm actually wondering if this instance didn't play a role in that change.

It may have, if so that would be a good thing. I also think that citing "policy" as reasoning is cowardly and incredibly stupid. "Policy" is the reason for so many atrocities it's sickening. I'm sure there were already provisions available to resolve the situation in a more fitting manner. I doubt that policy even states that they HAD to imprison them like that, just that it was the standard.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    The detention centre 'was like something you see in films – there was a huge 10ft wall with razor wire and we got used to being yelled at by armed guards'.
    'I don’t think we'll ever fully recover from our ordeal and I'll never set foot in America again,' said Mrs Dixon.

Does anyone else think its a little bit sad how our reputation has gone from Land of the Free to the Prison Capitol of the World? Peaceful visitors vow never to return. International newspapers warn the world to stay away. We lock visitors in camps while we invade country after country.

Such a shame.

Top Bottom