Breaking: Per SCOTUS, Same-Sex Marriage is now law of the land.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Thank you for attempting to bridge this gap. I feel kind of warm and fuzzy all over. :laugh:
    Seriously? People come on here all the time with questions about how we do this, why we do that, how do we address XYZ. I am one of a few here that try our best to show you where we are coming from (so many LEO's have come and gone quickly from this place). Attitudes and feelings of gun owners is also listened to here and is partially responsible for the guidelines that IMPD made clear with handling legally armed citizens. Man, I did not know that was so trivial. I'm glad you are so, "warm and fuzzy."

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Seriously? People come on here all the time with questions about how we do this, why we do that, how do we address XYZ. I am one of a few here that try our best to show you where we are coming from (so many LEO's have come and gone quickly from this place). Attitudes and feelings of gun owners is also listened to here and is partially responsible for the guidelines that IMPD made clear with handling legally armed citizens. Man, I did not know that was so trivial. I'm glad you are so, "warm and fuzzy."

I am not one of the cop-haters. I'm sure the attacks those guys can put on could have driven some away. But that is not my intention. I hold the original intent of the constitution in high regard and I expect those that have been loaned authority by the citizens to do the same. That is all. You appear to differ; as you've indicated, you're fine with our current situation. That's cool. Many agree with you.

MisterChester

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 25, 2013
    The Compound
    I am not one of the cop-haters. I'm sure the attacks those guys can put on could have driven some away. But that is not my intention. I hold the original intent of the constitution in high regard and I expect those that have been loaned authority by the citizens to do the same. That is all. You appear to differ; as you've indicated, you're fine with our current situation. That's cool. Many agree with you.

I can admire your view that the original intent of the constitution should be held in high regard. With that being said, I think it becomes increasingly difficult to follow the original intent the farther away we are in time from its ratification. It changes very rarely, and things that are in it now will continue to be there until it no longer becomes the law of the land. It becomes difficult when problems occur in the present that did not exist during its ratification. It is fascinating that it lasted as long as it has. Constitutional problems that come up now are merely solved by looking if it contradicts what's already in there or not. Original intent doesn't count as much if it has to do with new issues that are brought with time because the writers couldn't have had an intent on the question to begin with.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    Sure, if the USSC decides it is legal for me to round up jews and send them to camps (my gratuitous Goodwin's Law reference) I will have to resist. However, the possibility of this is laughable, same with your example. I have no reason to believe these hypotheticals will EVER happen in my lifetime therefore I exercise ZERO effort in thinking about them.

I am glad you would resist, but I don't think the possibility is zero. There are still living survivors of the last time (not the only time) the US Government rounded up citizens for internment camps. And thanks to SCOTUS, it was all legit and "constitutional."

Lowe0

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 22, 2015
    Indianapolis
    I am glad you would resist, but I don't think the possibility is zero. There are still living survivors of the last time (not the only time) the US Government rounded up citizens for internment camps. And thanks to SCOTUS, it was all legit and "constitutional."
    I would think that having living survivors of the last time would be a large part of why the probability is zero. A little shame is healthy; it keeps us from making the same mistake.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I would think that having living survivors of the last time would be a large part of why the probability is zero. A little shame is healthy; it keeps us from making the same mistake.

If my understanding of history is correct, we gathered up Germans during WWI, then a short 23 years later, we rounded up a bunch of other people. Don't count on living survivors of the last time preventing the next time, especially if the next time the people they're rounding up are of a different ethnic/religious/country of origin than before.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    So what you are saying is that "things change". Every generation can say, "20 years ago life sure was different than today." and it will continue to happen until the end of time itself. OK, anything is possible but not everything is probable. Arresting those not marrying gays is very improbable and I have not seen supporting evidence that this is anything more than an unwarranted fear.

I know Canada is not America, but they are basically 10 years ahead of us on this. And yes, arrests are being made up there.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville

I agree. It might be laughable, but I'm not laughing. We have, by turns, had indentured servitude, forced relocation of entire ethnic groups, slavery, mass imprisonment of Germans, mass imprisonment of Japanese, and other events I'm sure I'm forgetting. I love America, but we have done some heinous crap, and justified it through the courts. I think it is hubris to think this generation is incapable of imprisoning a particular group based upon some perceived threat.

I will also say that I respect Denny a lot, and when he says he takes the liberty of the people he has sworn to serve seriously, I believe him.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    All walls regarding sexual orientation (and probably gender) and marriage have been knocked down. Most people just don't realize it yet.

Yeah. With this ruling we've just gotten more socially progressive than half of Europe. I'm just wondering what's next. I'm thinking income inequality.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Yeah. With this ruling we've just gotten more socially progressive than half of Europe. I'm just wondering what's next. I'm thinking income inequality.

Maybe. I saw a headline this weekend where Hillary wants to go after the 1% and the Wall Street "fat cats". Envy is a powerful vice. And when you're struggling to get by, with very few prospects for improving your lot, and seeing some people get ahead in what you think is an unfair manner can result in populist legislation to try and fix it. I wonder if Hillary's ready to give up any of her multiple multi-million dollar homes to help the 99%...

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville

Most likely you're right. Although, we might start establishing Sharia enclaves like parts of Europe have done.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Maybe. I saw a headline this weekend where Hillary wants to go after the 1% and the Wall Street "fat cats". Envy is a powerful vice. And when you're struggling to get by, with very few prospects for improving your lot, and seeing some people get ahead in what you think is an unfair manner can result in populist legislation to try and fix it. I wonder if Hillary's ready to give up any of her multiple multi-million dollar homes to help the 99%...

If I were trained in CGI, I would take the video of her saying that and morph her into a very overweight feline as she spoke the words.

Someone could do that. Anyone?

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    Somewhere over the rainbow

We still have a bunch of survivors of another round-up living on the Rez. Didn't occasion much shame when Earl Warren and FDR did their thing to protect liberty in 1942.

Top Bottom