Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    From Facebook

CONFESSION
    I will address this issue one time, for the many friends that have reached out in support, and also for those that are reveling in my recent mistakes.
    I recently made mistakes and exercised horrible judgement.
    I acknowledge:
    My recent mistakes and horrible judgement.
    My ownership of them. I own it 100%.
    My acceptance of the court’s judgement.
    I’m getting professional help.
    My ETERNAL gratitude that no innocent people were hurt.
    I’m human.
    I have humiliated myself, loved ones and friends.
    I’ve learned and will continue to learn everyday for the rest of my life from these mistakes and errors in judgement.
    I am and will be a much better person because of this.
    For my wife, Michelle Lucas, you’ve been a rock and I love you. I am truly blessed that our paths crossed and we are together!
    For the countless friends that stopped by or reached out with such incredibly kind words of support and encouragement; thank you from the bottom of my heart. Your support helped me get through a very dark (self inflicted) period of my life and you showed me so many beautiful sides of humanity.
    For the haters; thank you. You’ve shown me the ugly side of humanity and have helped me recognize the necessity of striving to be a better person. Yes, you will remind me of my shortfalls for the rest of my life and I accept that. I’m human and make mistakes, but I will be stronger and more driven because of the ridicule.
    After this very painful and public ordeal and the ensuing hate, I’ve discovered and recognize (with much help from the hate) how incredibly important it is to be kind to people and not judge anyone, we never know what people are going through.
    We’re all different and we can disagree, and I will strive to give people the benefit of doubt until they prove otherwise.
    Thank you all for reminding me of the importance of constantly striving to be a better, stronger person today than I was yesterday.
    God Bless,
    Jim Lucas

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    From Facebook

CONFESSION
    I will address this issue one time, for the many friends that have reached out in support, and also for those that are reveling in my recent mistakes.
    I recently made mistakes and exercised horrible judgement.
    I acknowledge:
    My recent mistakes and horrible judgement.
    My ownership of them. I own it 100%.
    My acceptance of the court’s judgement.
    I’m getting professional help.
    My ETERNAL gratitude that no innocent people were hurt.
    I’m human.
    I have humiliated myself, loved ones and friends.
    I’ve learned and will continue to learn everyday for the rest of my life from these mistakes and errors in judgement.
    I am and will be a much better person because of this.
    For my wife, Michelle Lucas, you’ve been a rock and I love you. I am truly blessed that our paths crossed and we are together!
    For the countless friends that stopped by or reached out with such incredibly kind words of support and encouragement; thank you from the bottom of my heart. Your support helped me get through a very dark (self inflicted) period of my life and you showed me so many beautiful sides of humanity.
    For the haters; thank you. You’ve shown me the ugly side of humanity and have helped me recognize the necessity of striving to be a better person. Yes, you will remind me of my shortfalls for the rest of my life and I accept that. I’m human and make mistakes, but I will be stronger and more driven because of the ridicule.
    After this very painful and public ordeal and the ensuing hate, I’ve discovered and recognize (with much help from the hate) how incredibly important it is to be kind to people and not judge anyone, we never know what people are going through.
    We’re all different and we can disagree, and I will strive to give people the benefit of doubt until they prove otherwise.
    Thank you all for reminding me of the importance of constantly striving to be a better, stronger person today than I was yesterday.
    God Bless,
    Jim Lucas

Do we think this fixes all the damage? Explains the sweetheart deal? Accounts for the illegal activities from an elected official, in charge of making law in Indiana?

:scratch:

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Do we think this fixes all the damage? Explains the sweetheart deal? Accounts for the illegal activities from an elected official, in charge of making law in Indiana?

:scratch:
    Do you have proof of “sweetheart deal”? Upthread the INGO legal team seemed to agree this was a typical first offender response.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    I think drunk drivers don't get much when it comes to penalties based on personal experience. The woman who hit my daughter has had multiple DUI's dating back to 1994. Some were felonies but because this one was more than five years since her last, it was a misdemeanor and they dropped the charges for fleeing and endangering others. Her bac was .198 when she ran my daughter and her family off the road into a guardrail...totaled my daughter's car and fled the scene. She ended up crashing her car after nearly hitting another vehicle head on. There were no charges related to the second incident that caused her to crash. She got a year's probation, owes my daughter $255 for missed work and what the insurance didn't cover to replace the car seat her son was riding in. We bought the same seat that she had in the car when they were hit, but insurance doesn't allow what it cost. She is very lucky that none of them were hurt. Car seats did their job and protected the babies. Cole was asleep when she hit his door so he was a bit traumatized and was afraid to be in the car for a bit and was having sleep issues at night, but we have worked through that.

Almost everyone that they ran through the courtroom the day of her hearing was there for charges related to drunk driving...slap on the wrist and out they go.

Last edited:

DataGeek19

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 9, 2017
    Southern Indiana
    Representative Lucas attended Trooper Smith’s funeral last week to pay his respects. Others may have a different opinion however I felt that was an honorable thing for him to do. A jack@ss wouldn’t have done that.

He has publicly announced that he screwed up and has the conviction to match. In my book he paid up. I just pray that he truly learned from his mistakes and is moving forward with the grace he has been granted.

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    It does seem to be mostly inline with first time offense for the DUI charge but much more transpired than being pulled over while drunk.

Also the court system does not work that fast, unless you've got connections to want it to be done so quickly, so I do believe he got a "sweetheart" deal

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    It does seem to be mostly inline with first time offense for the DUI charge but much more transpired than being pulled over while drunk.

Also the court system does not work that fast, unless you've got connections to want it to be done so quickly, so I do believe he got a "sweetheart" deal
    Well that's true - only a two months or so.

Got a good lawyer? :dunno:

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central

I do not see expediency as a “sweetheart” deal, from the reporting he and his attorney (the sweetheart is getting an attorney to work that fast for you) wanted to get this done, prepared to get it done in the two weeks before the initial hearing, I suspect the prosecutor wanted it done too, as the media crush was likely a huge burden on their office, so they made what seems to be a normal deal for a first time offender.

The fine seems higher than what I read as typical online but that may be the leaving the scene fine added in. He also has $4000 of guardrail repairs to cover as well.

At the initial hearing all parties wanted this over so they presented the judge with the plea deal, probably sent it to the judge before the hearing, the judge likely did not see benefit to the citizens nor the court in postponement of a decision either and a ruling was made.

Cavman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 2, 2009
    Thank you for posting Lucas' apology from Facebook! Not all of us do the Facebook.

The question was not directed at you sir. Ment to ask opinion of all of INGO.

:ingo:
    He should have came out weeks ago and did this. To me he should have stopped right before he started with "and to my haters" maybe he should expect all the back lash. Hes a law making politician..

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    He should have came out weeks ago and did this. To me he should have stopped right before he started with "and to my haters" maybe he should expect all the back lash. Hes a law making politician..

That's what irritates me. Lucas should be humble and apologetic about this issue. Not waiting until he is caught to seemingly fake it. :xmad:

There is NO room for Mr Lucas to be arrogant or smart-assed right now, yet he waves that flag.

The issues of admitting to the past OWI charge, (that strangely didn't go to court :scratch:) and now the illicit drug toxicology report, should be obvious to any non-addicted person.

"I'm sorry. I will stop using alcohol and drugs, whatever it takes." Should be the only words out of Mr Lucas. It's what a mentally sound person does after completely losing control of self, as he did. (Even if knowingly lieing, it's what you'd say to CYA. )

:twocents:

Last edited:

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy

Cavman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 2, 2009
    Without confessing too strongly that I am an idiot, I must say that I didn't really understand the legalese mumbo-jumbo word salad that the article was.

Maybe a smarter than me could translate?

:dunno:
    I am definitely not that man. But seemed to read that that records showed he still owed money, but they said they already made restitution but there's no records of it? And the judge said yea thats fine? I am definitely not this guys biggest fan. Yea he is pro gun which is fantastic but thats where the line stopped. He was my rep and was always super sparky in responses of responded at all. And didn't meet a tax or fee he didn't love and thinks if ya dont like it wither you don't love indiana

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 7, 2021
    central indiana
    Shady. Sketchy. Stinky.
    But the judge said, 'since all parties agree that restitution had been paid, so be it' (paraphrased). On its face it seems reasonable, inability to provide documentation not withstanding. After all, 'it might be in piles of documents at the clerks office that still need to be processed' (paraphrased).

Then the article states that the judge ordered, 'ammend the Sentencing Order to reflect that the $3k in restitution has been eliminated' (paraphrased). I just note that the quote suggests that the original order for restitution was "eliminated", which is different than "paid".

Top Bottom