Breakfree good for corrosive ammo and getting rid of Cosmoline?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    We are about to pick up Cathy's Mosin Nagant 91/30 off of layaway. The cheapest ammo seems to be corrosive. I understand Hoppes is supposed to be very good for cleaning up after corrosive ammo, does anyone know if Breakfree CLP is any good for the same purpose?

How is Breakfree for cleaning up Cosmoline? I've always just taken a rag, wiped as much off as I can, then started scrubbing with Hoppes. Any better ways?

What is some decent cheap 7.62x54R that is not corrosive? Wolf, maybe?

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    We are about to pick up Cathy's Mosin Nagant 91/30 off of layaway. The cheapest ammo seems to be corrosive. I understand Hoppes is supposed to be very good for cleaning up after corrosive ammo, does anyone know if Breakfree CLP is any good for the same purpose?

How is Breakfree for cleaning up Cosmoline? I've always just taken a rag, wiped as much off as I can, then started scrubbing with Hoppes. Any better ways?

What is some decent cheap 7.62x54R that is not corrosive? Wolf, maybe?

for removing cosmoline try mineral spirits... will liquify cosmoline.... this with a toothbrush and you are good to go.... for the stuff stuck in the hard to get places try putting it in your oven turned to 150 or use a hair dryer and some mineral spririts.... break free i dont believe will thin the cosmoline enough to really help a ton with removal....

i dont think break free will help with the corrosive ammo either.... to be sure to netralize it all try a 50 50 mix of vineger and water on a bore mop.... followed by a bit of hoppes.... then just relube to protect the bore with clp as you normally do

IGW

hardtrailz400

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2008
    Batesvegas
    for removing cosmoline try mineral spirits... will liquify cosmoline.... this with a toothbrush and you are good to go.... for the stuff stuck in the hard to get places try putting it in your oven turned to 150 or use a hair dryer and some mineral spririts.... break free i dont believe will thin the cosmoline enough to really help a ton with removal....

i dont think break free will help with the corrosive ammo either.... to be sure to netralize it all try a 50 50 mix of vineger and water on a bore mop.... followed by a bit of hoppes.... then just relube to protect the bore with clp as you normally do

IGW

Nice simple explanation. Does the type of vinegar matter? Maybe some Long John Silvers Malt Vinegar???

Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 7, 2008
    Greenfield
    For corrosive ammo, after shooting, just use some windex or plain old water. Dish soap with water works too. That will disolve the salts from the corrosive, then use your normal cleaning process with Hoppes or Breakfree. I personally use windex cause its convenient in the spray bottle.

Cosmoline is another story and one I don't have the answer to, but I know there were a couple of threads floating around on the subject. I will see if I can track them down for you.

Non-corrosive ammo is more expensive than the typical bulk/surplus ammo...usually quite a bit more expensive although you can find some deals here and there. For me its worth the 5 extra minutes to clean it properly. I get ammo from AIM, Sportsmansguide, and of course locally when possible. Sportsmans Guide appears to have some Hungarian bulk that claims to be non-corrosive, 440 rounds for approximately $95, but I am not sure I would trust that it is completely non-corrosive.

Hope that helps!

EDIT: Apparently I type too slow, IGW covered the Cosmoline and other topics nicely.

Steven

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 2, 2008
    Whitley County

IGW

100% my preferred method to deal with this.
    Some people bring up some really weird concoctions to deal with cosmoline, Eds Red, boiling hot water, ect.
    Mineral spirits are cheap and do the job, be sure to use outside or in a well ventilated area. it won't hurt the wood or raise the wood grain either.

water and vineger is the time tested way to deal with corrosive ammo.

Time to rock that Russian...:ar15:

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    Is cosmoline the "white grease" on a new gun ?

cosmoline is a brown yellow color really really thick grease... almost the consistancy of soft wax... its used to preserve old milsurp guns that were going to be put into storage for an indefinate period of time.... i know of NO NEW MANUFACTURE guns that come with cosmoline on them.... but cosmoline left in the bore can lead to unsafe firing condistions and MUST be removed prior to use.

2ADMNLOVER

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 13, 2009
    West side Indy
    Oh , ok thanks for the info . I picked up a new gun Monday and it had a white grease in it , I cleaned it up with Hoppes # 9 and was going to suggest that .

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    Oh , ok thanks for the info . I picked up a new gun Monday and it had a white grease in it , I cleaned it up with Hoppes # 9 and was going to suggest that .

The new guns should actually be broken in WITH the grease... some of them have mild abrasives in them to help speed up the break in proccess and get it done in 1-200 rounds instead of as many as 500...

no biggy since you cleaned it out but for future referance leave it in there until AFTER your first range trip with the gun.

Top Bottom