• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hit

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 19, 2010
    I just started reloading this summer in 9mm, .38spl and .45ACP. For each caliber I have been trying to keep the brass separated by the number of times they have been fired. Since I still shoot factory ammo periodically (usually because I don't have enough reloads on hand yet) I am beginning to get brass that's been fired 1x, 2x, 3x and 4x in three calibers. I can see this getting out of hand after a while ... not to mention I have already made mistakes and dumped brass into the wrong container.

I am wondering whether other people separate their brass by the number of times fired for handgun ammo (used for IDPA/USPSA/Steel and plinking) or if they just keep containers for each caliber only.

Last edited:

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Since .38 and .45 are low pressure cases, I do not really keep them seperated as to the number of times loaded. I just look at them as I put them in the press and pitch any that have cracks at the mouth. I do not seperate the 9mm either. For rifles I do keep them in lots by the times reloaded.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    I started separating, but also realized it would quickly become a logistics challenge (not that it would be impossible) so have just made a habit of case inspection when I get ready to load, and when the load is complete.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    in bullk reloading i dont seperate by firings. in precision reloading i do seperate by firings. i have ar ammo that is 6ish fired in the same pile with once fired. there is very little diffrence in the preformance. defintally little enough diffrence that i cant say for sure if its comming from that or another place.

indycruzr

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 9, 2009
    Indy Westside
    I've been reloading for about a year now. Mostly reloading 9mm. Like most I started to keep them separate based on a friends suggestion. (Note he reloads rifle calibers for long distance match shooting.) But again like most that have posted, it become more hassle than it is worth. Everything gets sorted into one contain then moved along in the process of cleaning and reloading. I pitch those that "don't look right" before they enter the press.

92FS

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Phoenix
    If you pick up brass at the range left by other shooters you have no way of knowing if or how many times it has been reloaded. Like others have said, inspect for splits in the mouth when you put it in the press for resizing and discard if necessary.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    Plinking pistol brass I shoot until it cracks. I've posted here on the .40s&w brass I did last year to see if there was a life difference between nickel plated and regular brass (there is a slight difference), and the average seems to be about 20-50 loadings depending on how hot they are loaded.

Really hot loads, I generally use new or once fired brass and load a couple of times until they get thrown into the general plinking bucket.

Rifle loads, I load bolt gun brass until the neck splits. I load semiauto gun brass 3-5 times before it gets retired for use in the bolt guns.

Hit

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 19, 2010
    Thanks everyone. That confirms what I had thought ... just throw them together and inspect them before each use.

Hazwhopper

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2010
    I have a lot of brass. I reload too. However, I just separate by caliber only.
    I have lots of coffee cans, that work gives me. That way I can separate. If I separate by reload times, I would have bunch more, and not enough room to store these.

hf3787

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    I shoot competition international and bullseye pistol. There is a lot of discussion about seperating cases. It is generally accepted that you only need to seperate cases by head stamp -- "shootem till they split". --- There have been some tests that show that even mixed head stamps shoot just as well.
    I would concentrate on my shooting and not worry about seperating cases.

DNRrangemaster

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2011
    Andrews, In
    x times fired brass

The magnum pistol and all rifle cases should have a label stating how many times fired along with any 40 S&W cases fired in most Glocks(not reloader friendly there with bulged cases due to feed ramp issues). Most manuals warn of issues with this caliber in guns that don't fully support the cartridge in the chamber. Fella new to reloading stopped by the range the other day and found out he couldn't chamber 3 out of 5 rounds in his Glock 23 due to not setting up the sizing die properly in an RCBS set. I showed him the bulge in a reloaded round then he understood the issue. Said he would be back at a later date with better ammo. I've reloaded a lot of rounds in 40 years and when the 40 Glock came out, reloaders had tom put on the gloves to make it work for reloads. I understand the latest versions of the 40 Glock have made improvements along that line, but I don't own one.:twocents:Redding and a couple other companies offer thru-the-die-sizing set-ups to eliminate the bulge...

Last edited:
    Top Bottom