• ...and so much more!
  • actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Bethlehem up there used blast furnace and coke oven gas in their boilers for the power plant (89-90); wasn't there long enough to figure out if the pipes tarred up...got out when they wanted to put me on swing shift as a supervisor just after the first child was born. Got a sit down engineering job, then...quickly.
    A lot of our stuff used COG and BFF.
    Back in the day when American steel was big, money and manpower were almost unlimited.

Once crews shrunk, and budget also...

yeahbaby

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Portage
    Back in the day I worked for a company called American Maize (Amaizo). Right on Indianapolis blvd. across from Lever Brothers. Talk about some rancid/odors smells from that plant. When you went out to your car in the parking lot you could expect some type crap on your vehicle. Luckily I worked indoors in a computer room. I felt for the people working in the plant. I believe it's called Cargill now.

Butch627

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 3, 2012
    NWI
    Back in the day I worked for a company called American Maize (Amaizo). Right on Indianapolis blvd. across from Lever Brothers. Talk about some rancid/odors smells from that plant. When you went out to your car in the parking lot you could expect some type crap on your vehicle. Luckily I worked indoors in a computer room. I felt for the people working in the plant. I believe it's called Cargill now.
    I don't want to derail the thread but I frequently ride my mountain bike around wolf lake and go past that plant and then under the tollway with lots of great riding on the Illinois side. That plant is the only place that is still on Wolf lake that you have to ride around. Im not a tree hugger but it would really make a nice difference to the Wolf Lake area if that place moved away and was taken over by Hammond or whoever else would be in charge of it and use it for recreation.

yeahbaby

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Portage
    I don't want to derail the thread but I frequently ride my mountain bike around wolf lake and go past that plant and then under the tollway with lots of great riding on the Illinois side. That plant is the only place that is still on Wolf lake that you have to ride around. Im not a tree hugger but it would really make a nice difference to the Wolf Lake area if that place moved away and was taken over by Hammond or whoever else would be in charge of it and use it for recreation.
    I'm pretty sure the Cargill plant location is considered in Hammond. One of my brothers lives in Hammond. There was complaints from residents living around the plant of loud noises in the middle of the night literally shaking houses. It had been going on for a while. My brother said the mayor of Hammond met with the plant management to address the issue. Not sure if it's still going on.

firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012
    You guys are taking me back to all my trips up to the Hammond Marina and the Portage Public Marina.

Wife’s mom lived in Hammond… it always smelled like ass up there from the refinery.

I kept a boat in Hammond for a year and I'll never forget that smell.

We moved it to Marina Shores (Portage) for a few years and when the wind blew the right way, the steel dust was insane...

But, the best on the Indiana lakeshore is Michigan City (where we last kept it). No steel dust or smells and amazing sunsets being right on the lake...

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I
    I remember the Lever Brothers smell

yeahbaby

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Portage
    And here we go.

Shadow01

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2011
    WCIn
    When I was loaned out to the Griffith area working for Indiana Bell, we had work to complete in manholes near Lever and due to contamination we had to have each manhole professionally cleaned by safety clean before we could enter. Any water that needed to be removed had to be hauled away for proper reclamation.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    I did some work there back in the day. Not sure what was worse, the smell or the rats. The rats were big and brave.

Lmo1131

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2020
    east of the Pacific
    All your memories of smells reminded me of growing up in Columbus in the 60s; Golden Foundry churning out cast iron diesel engine blocks and other castings spewing ash out 24/7; Cummins, the smell of cutting oil and diesel smoke from the 40 engine test cells day and night; Arvin Industries cutting oil building exhaust systems for Detroit, Hamilton-Cosco and others doing injection molding plastics; the acidric odor of creosote from the railroad tie company, and my favorite hot-afternoon aroma, Stadler’s Packing House kill yards.

But if you lived on the north side, all the heavy industrial odors were mixed with the sweet bakery smells from SAP’s Doughnut Mill churning out 1.5 million (literally) doughnuts a week.

All in a community of 35,000.

Top Bottom