• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I mean. I have a 2009? Hoyt Vectrix XL. Probably 500 arrows or fewer through it; for a guy that used to shoot 50+ arrows a night, that's a little embarrassing.

I'd entertain selling it. I shot a PSE Nova heavily through high school, some 3D, some field, several deer, more split arrows than Dad wanted. Dad was rumored to be pretty damn good with a recurve from the 60's onward, and picked up compounds at about the earliest stage. He started shooting with me at age 5 in the backyard, and I dropped off shooting in...about 2009. (see the trend here?)

Shooting a bow at an expert level is, like many things, all about shooting a lot of arrows well.

I surely didn't get on here to sell a bow today, but the Hoyt's a helluva piece, and would only need a string, maybe a newer (faster) rest (mine is a RipCord), and some arrows.

Being that I do not arrow hunt deer anymore, and haven't picked it up in over 5 years, it's probably time to let it go.

Talk with the guys around here, and let me know if you want to chat about it.
    I liked my Ripcord rest. Ground the prongs shorter.

My issue w drop aways is you gotta run a D loop and that changes anchorpoint.

Much prefer eliminator buttons and longer axle to axle rigs. Anchor is solid and no need to bend head. Its just right there....

Every time.

Alas, drop away is a thing now so my current bow has one, and D loop. Will kill my scores but for 30 yards and in whitetail.hunting itll be fine. FWIW the bigger peep doesnt help w bullseyes.

I got the Specialty Archery one to run a verifier when eyes get worse

I had the PSE Vector, and my buddy had the Nova. Think the Nova was supposed to be a little faster. Sold mine to another bud. Good fingers bows. He shot a 300 indoors fingers, dont think it w that bow, proly a roundhweeler.

No way i could ever do that fingers.

Last edited:

Hoosier Carry

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2012
    In the Woods
    In my experience, darned few bows have anywhere near their original price for resale. After a year, the values are generally 1/2 or less. Start with a yard sale/pawn shop/eBay bow. Spend a few bucks at the pro shop getting it tuned and set up. If you want to, or can easily afford to spend $1000-$1500 on a bow, go for it. But don't expect to sell it next year for anywhere close to that money. Cheap bows will kill deer just fine. I've had my Mathews for 20+ years (SQ2 and $550 new) and it still works fine. I've replaced the string once. But resale value is about $10.
    Yeah you’re right there. I was thinking more of the last 5 year models. But you’re right that probably wasn’t great advice. My creed wouldn’t sale more than 300. But the Traverse on up to the V3 seem to hold a little value.

CWMC

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 13, 2022
    Jasper county
    Go to a reputable archery shop and get a bow and some arrows that fit your draw. Some shops have an indoor range so you can try it out before you purchase it. Accuracy is everything in bow hunting.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    In my experience, darned few bows have anywhere near their original price for resale. After a year, the values are generally 1/2 or less. Start with a yard sale/pawn shop/eBay bow. Spend a few bucks at the pro shop getting it tuned and set up. If you want to, or can easily afford to spend $1000-$1500 on a bow, go for it. But don't expect to sell it next year for anywhere close to that money. Cheap bows will kill deer just fine. I've had my Mathews for 20+ years (SQ2 and $550 new) and it still works fine. I've replaced the string once. But resale value is about $10.
    Buddy hunts w a minty old SQ2.
    Works fine

kickbacked

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    Finally got my new bow yesterday. It was a blast testing bows out. Ended up with a hoyt torrex xt with the bells and whistles. It’s currently set to 55lbs. I don’t think I’m ready to go higher than that at the moment. Currently have 4 icy hot patches on. 2 on each shoulder and 2 on my lower back. I’m still kind of scared of the thing. I had a moment when they were setting up the bow for me. I was drawing and holding, while being asked like 50 questions. When you get to the let off it’s not difficult to hold but I think I got too comfortable and was weak after shooting for 4 hours. I just felt the bow unloading itself and I was along for the ride. Guy asked why I didn’t pull the trigger but I wasn’t on target. I didn’t know where the arrow would go and my firearm rules clicked in despite being on a completely empty range. The bow didn’t explode or anything as I did my best to slow the bow “decocking” for lack of a better word. But it spooked me a little because I’m sitting there easily holding the let off and suddenly the full draw weight kicks in.

I wish in a way I bought a bare bones bow so I knew what each attachment does, how it’s fitted and works. For instance I got home and the sight light was on, there’s no branding on the sight so I couldn’t google it and figure out myself how to turn it off. I ended up calling the shop back and asking. Simple unscrew but I like to be independent and there’s still so much I have to learn. When fatigue kicked in I started getting sloppy, even bumped the hair trigger release when I went to draw back and sent an arrow skidding down the floor 15 yards. I took a few more shots and ended the day with a decent shot on target.

Thanks everyone for your help, hopefully I can get enough practice in to be confident for spring turkey. I won’t be unethical though so if I’m not there yet I’ll use my shotgun.

Limpy88

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Nov 12, 2009
    Lafayette
    all the sight lights are nearly the same. chinesse repackaged stuff. its an after thought for sales so they dont care about it. kinda sucks. same crap in the gun world.
    look at nock on archery. there is bunch of how to videos for proper stance and form for drawing. if you're getting sore quickly. then your form may be wrong. form is what everyone who shoots a bow works on no matter how many titles they win.

Im not the most familiar with hoyt. most cams can user adjust the hold weight. dial it up and down to suit your style.
    my 80lbs pse can do 92% left off. i moved it to 85%, felt more comfortable. plenty of work out routines to help with strength for pulling back the bow. but proper reps always preferred.
    you can dive deep as you want in the weeds with bow as guns stuff. arrows are like bullets. length, spine weight, shaft size, finished weight, how many of which vanes. and then matching all to the right broad head. the tuning and spin aliment. nocks too.

if you using a foam style target, some arrow lube helps with pulling out. and bag targets work the best hanging.

Have fun shooting

kickbacked

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    Currently sick with a fever but yesterday I started out in the part of my basement that’s unfinished. Felt like a natural until I missed the target by a foot and shattered an arrow on the cement wall at about 10 yards. Went outside and shot at 20 yards off the deck. Can’t wait to get back out there. F51BDFA8-5ABB-4249-AC6E-5087596E6277.jpeg

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Hoyt Torrex is a decent bow.
    I have the non XT model.
    Set at 58#.
    Am old school and like more back tension, prefer 65% letoff.
    But hard to find in new bow models.

Torrex is a cast riser, but looks billet. Isn't too thick for a casting.

Mine is just a backup bow, in case I have back or shoulder issues again.
    Had it listed in classifieds LOL

My main rig is a 46# recurve. I might order a heavier set of limbs for it next yr.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    My Torrex wears an HHA single pin sight.
    I still don't like a vertical pin, prefer horizontal.
    May swap out the front if the bow stays.
    Quiver mounting on Hoyts sucks
    W an HHA mover the spacing of the quiver attachment points, the riser curve..........screws up mounting most quivers. Can get an offset plate. Works but still sucks.
    Then of course, there's Hoyts proprietary mounting.
    May convert mine to the Treelimb bracket.

Balance of mine, w full quiver, I added a weight from Lancaster on the lower riser hole, opp side of quiver. Don't run a back bar/stabilizer. Just a front one. Noticeably heavier w weight. But it balances very well.

Trying to find a better quiver option that isn't half the price of the dang bow (Hoyt 2 pc is $$$).
    I should knock the cobwebs off and design/make a bracket myself.

Weight and balance, plus quiver...........same BS I had when i got the top of the line Hoyt back in 2005 (Safari finish Protec- 65%............pretty bow, wouldn't mine an Ultratec in that).
    Loved the feel of the Hoyt Cam and a Half system.

That cam system, swapped in on a Mathews Switchback XT woulda been pretty darn cool.
    Almost did that LOL. Would have taken some experimentation, couple cable builds. $$$

Top Bottom