• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bingley

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    If you can't afford food, do you just deserve to starve? Is that your answer?

That's right -- especially the children! Starving to death will teach them to be born to the wrong parents! Take some personal responsibility for once. I didn't tell you to go into that womb. So why should I have to pay for your mistake?

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell

No. Government solutions are not the only possible set of remedies available either. Many people seem to think if the government doesn't fix it, it won't get fixed though.

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN

I have enough trouble keeping my own family fed. Why should I take on YOU and YOUR kids as some additional burden? Why should *I* have to provide, not only for myself and MY family, but you and your family as well?

HenryWallace

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 7, 2013
    Fort Wayne
    Does anything federalized work? Socialized/Federalized services are already an every day part of our lives, and what has any of it gotten us other than the fEAr of having to do it for ourselves? When the need goes away so does the exercise and when we cannot make the motions any longer, we DEPEND on those who can do it for us. Like a slave.

nawainwright

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2009
    New Hampshire
    See now, I thought that if we gave poor people welfare/food stamps/SS/Medi/ObamaInsurance that everything would be fine then. Shouldn't the problem of "starving children" have been solved by one of these programs we HAD to have? I mean, really, if FDR and LBJ were to be believed, all this should have been solved with their programs, right? So since it wasn't, then we need more programs?

Wouldn't it be nice, if when we saw that a half dozen government programs (that overlap) have failed to solve the problem for which they were created, we would end them and try a different solution? But no, our politicians feel the need to keep "fixing the fix" rather than trying something different. Frankly, when you begin to build a house on a bad foundation, it doesn't matter how many coats of paint you put on it, or how mant times you replace the plumbing, the house will always be faulty. The only way to fix it is tear it down, or a complete overhaul.

Mad Macs

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 3, 2011
    Plainfield, IN
    I have enough trouble keeping my own family fed. Why should I take on YOU and YOUR kids as some additional burden? Why should *I* have to provide, not only for myself and MY family, but you and your family as well?

So let's say you lose your job and have trouble making ends meet. What happens then? If you can't afford to feed your kids (damn those critters eat a lot!)

Not trying to start an argument, just having a discussion.

bingley

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    So let's say you lose your job and have trouble making ends meet. What happens then?

Private charity will materialize from thin air instantly and bail him out, much like how public charity is meant for bailing out big companies. But Bombelli, being a man of personal responsibility, will refuse charity and just hunt enough squirrels to feed his family. And they live happily ever after. The end.

Mad Macs

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 3, 2011
    Plainfield, IN
    Let's say I do. Is it fair that I send you the bill?

If you lost your job and couldn't afford food I would buy you and your family a meal, or bring you something. No squirrel I promise you.

And you're also talking about a 1 to 1 relationship here. Compare that with the amount of tax dollars from how many people going to feed a relatively small amount of individuals.

Where do the private charities get their money from? Does it come only from private donors or does some gov money help fund them too?

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    If you lost your job and couldn't afford food I would buy you and your family a meal, or bring you something. No squirrel I promise you.

Let's dispense with this silly argument. Government handouts are not equivalent to your private charitable giving. Let's use a real analogy.

So, he lost his job and can't afford food. Would you come over to my house with a gun, point it in my face, and take food from my family to give to him?

That is a proper analogy to compare to the government redistribution that you are advocating.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Let's dispense with this silly argument. Government handouts are not equivalent to your private charitable giving. Let's use a real analogy.

So, he lost his job and can't afford food. Would you come over to my house with a gun, point it in my face, and take food from my family to give to him?

That is a proper analogy to compare to the government redistribution that you are advocating.

How about this question: It's too bad you lost your job...why didn't your save some money for this rainy day?

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2011
    Question: if my responsibility to pay for other people's kids to be fed, educated, housed, clothed, and transported prevents me from sending my kids to better colleges, getting them better tutors/access to better trades programs etc who is to blame? Me, for not planning to pay for other people, or the other people for demanding that I pay for their lack?

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Question: if my responsibility to pay for other people's kids to be fed, educated, housed, clothed, and transported prevents me from sending my kids to better colleges, getting them better tutors/access to better trades programs etc who is to blame? Me, for not planning to pay for other people, or the other people for demanding that I pay for their lack?

The rich. When in doubt, blame the rich.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Hey no problem, stop spending on the front end for kids and we WILL pay big time on the back end to prosecute and house them in jail. You may not want to pay to feed the kids but we will pay one way or another. Just call 911 when these kids get turned away by the schools and they decide to start stealing your stuff.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Hey no problem, stop spending on the front end for kids and we WILL pay big time on the back end to prosecute and house them in jail. You may not want to pay to feed the kids but we will pay one way or another. Just call 911 when these kids get turned away by the schools and they decide to start stealing your stuff.

If the billions of dollars already spent to quench poverty, to feed those unable to feed themselves, to clothe and house them too wasn't enough, how much more is required to stop those people from stealing my stuff? If we doubled or tripled the amount spent since the start of the great society, would the jails no be virtually empty?

BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    We pay big time with the culture of dependence creating a sense of entitlement. They steal, not out of destitution, but out of a sense of entitlement. If I were stealing because I needed food I'd steal food, not flat screen televisions.

I don't disagree with feeding children, but I believe it should be done with actual food (such as these school lunches) rather than a monthly check the parents will just spend on booze and cigarettes.

Top Bottom