• ...and so much more!
  • Super Bee

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 2, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    One thing I learned today is Twitter blows. I do not have an account and I have literally been on it twice for maybe 30 seconds total. When this happened I figured Twitter was the place for instant updates. What I did not realize was the amount of false information made to look legitimate. I am no longer interested in getting the there ever again. Sorry for posting information thinking it was good when in reality it wasnt.

Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    Bumped into the wall, hit in the face in mid air, and sliding on the track on his face while sitting in a fire. How he made it, :dunno:

JCSR

NO STAGE PLAN
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2017
    Santa Claus
    One thing I learned today is Twitter blows. I do not have an account and I have literally been on it twice for maybe 30 seconds total. When this happened I figured Twitter was the place for instant updates. What I did not realize was the amount of false information made to look legitimate. I am no longer interested in getting the there ever again. Sorry for posting information thinking it was good when in reality it wasnt.

Jayski is the only Twitter I trust. You can follow on his website if you're an non-twitt like I am. :ingo:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I didn't catch the race live, just caught the last of it while Hamlin was in Victory Lane.

Y'all ain't gonna like me, and I know this isn't the *****in' thread: F NASCAR! All the way off!

19 years ago we lost Dale. Same turn, same lap. The tone of Jeff and Joy was the same as it was 19 years ago. Just now on channel 8 they have released an update that Newman is going to live. Thank God.

But by dammit, get rid of restrictor plate racing!

CM- smoke this post if you feel the need. I'm not in a good mood right now.

That I agree with you and am in the same mental state I think we are all in right now this is on point. But in respect for the OP we will not put heat on NAPCAR.

Yes I did that.

Thank the powers above Ryan will again see and hug his kids.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I didn't catch the race live, just caught the last of it while Hamlin was in Victory Lane.

Y'all ain't gonna like me, and I know this isn't the *****in' thread: F NASCAR! All the way off!

19 years ago we lost Dale. Same turn, same lap. The tone of Jeff and Joy was the same as it was 19 years ago. Just now on channel 8 they have released an update that Newman is going to live. Thank God.

But by dammit, get rid of restrictor plate racing!

CM- smoke this post if you feel the need. I'm not in a good mood right now.

While I am not a fan of restrictor plate racing, I don't feel like this was a result of the plate. This was the result of allowing a driver to push another car and slingshotting to attempt to pass the leader. Whether Blaney was really trying to push Newman across for the win or trying to make a last ditch attempt to slingshot past Newman and grab the win doesn't matter. Even Gordon said multiple times how dangerous it can be.
    Second, if they had thrown the caution when Chase was crashing on the backstretch who knows how things would have shaken out.
    Newman has spoke out about plate racing and the pushing before as dangerous and going to get someone hurt...maybe now people will listen.

I can understand trying to keep quiet until they had something to report but it did lead many to expect the worst. I'd rather they stay quiet in abundance of caution vs give bad info that could have been changing
    Glad he is going to get to hear he is going to be able to love on his kids again for sure.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    While I am not a fan of restrictor plate racing, I don't feel like this was a result of the plate. This was the result of allowing a driver to push another car and slingshotting to attempt to pass the leader. Whether Blaney was really trying to push Newman across for the win or trying to make a last ditch attempt to slingshot past Newman and grab the win doesn't matter. Even Gordon said multiple times how dangerous it can be.
    Second, if they had thrown the caution when Chase was crashing on the backstretch who knows how things would have shaken out.
    Newman has spoke out about plate racing and the pushing before as dangerous and going to get someone hurt...maybe now people will listen.

I can understand trying to keep quiet until they had something to report but it did lead many to expect the worst. I'd rather they stay quiet in abundance of caution vs give bad info that could have been changing
    Glad he is going to get to hear he is going to be able to love on his kids again for sure.

Well said sir.

There was a pic on FB of him, wife, 2 beautiful daughters on the yard of bricks at the speedway. The oldest daughter (maybe 3-ish) was giving her dad a hug from heaven. That rips at my heart.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Well said sir.

There was a pic on FB of him, wife, 2 beautiful daughters on the yard of bricks at the speedway. The oldest daughter (maybe 3-ish) was giving her dad a hug from heaven. That rips at my heart.

And obviously that was created by someone who assumed the worst and acted without first learning the facts. I could see why it would rip at the heart

At least they reported with an update once there was reasonable confidence that none of the injuries are life threatening vs waiting until morning to hold a press conference.

GlockRock

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    I’d like to see his car with the sheet metal removed with just the roll cage and his cockpit. The strength of it amazes me. Even though it failed, obviously it saved his life.

Hatin Since 87

Bacon Hater
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Mooresville
    I don’t see them ever getting rid of restrictor plate racing. I, personally, don’t enjoy it as much as tracks like Richmond and darlington. I like a drivers track, where you race the track instead of the other drivers. Those take skill. Restrictor plate racing is holding it to the floor and a bit of luck, with a small side of making the right moves when lines are moving. Racing is always going to be a dangerous sport. Look at Michael Waltrips Bristol crash. That was a horrible crash for a short track.

The key thing to remember here is when I was a kid we had a death every year in racing. Whether it be stock car, Indy car, Le Mans, whatever. Now we have went YEARS without a fatality. The racing is a lot safer now, but there will always be that one instance of just the right hit in just the right spot that nothing could have saved. I’m no fan of restrictor plate racing, but it is part of the sports history and for that reason alone I’d like to see it stay. Maybe just run 1 Daytona and 1 talladega race a year instead of 2 at each.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Not to pick nits, but last year's Daytona 500 was the last race where NASCAR used "restrictor plates".

They now use "tapered spacers"...

DoijdbeWwAAbwTa.jpg

Not that it changed the on track product much.:rolleyes:

JCSR

NO STAGE PLAN
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2017
    Santa Claus
    I read this earlier today. This is a stunning piece of info showing how fast the cars were, and how huge Lajoie's impact with Newman was. Ryan got spun, hit the wall, flipped, was thrown across the finish line... and his average lap speed for the final lap was still 193.89 mph and is credited with a 9th place finish. What a miracle. :rockwoot:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Took them from 400HP to around 550. They hung a billboard of a spoiler on them to slow them down.

The taper actually increases velocity and tunability. It does not act like a doorstop.
    The cars seemed to track differently this year. Maybe the spoiler....???

Super Bee

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 2, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    That is great news. Hopefully he makes a quick recovery. I am curious how many would want to get behind the wheel again after going through something like that. Ryan and Jimmie came in the same year, so after Jimmie leaves Ryan will be the "old" guy in the series. If he was 25 he would probably return, but going on 43, will he?

I saw the list for the next race and the driver is TBA. I am sure RFR has someone already lined up to go or close too. Might be someone like David Ragan.

gunsisgood

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 19, 2010
    Maine
    I’d like to see his car with the sheet metal removed with just the roll cage and his cockpit. The strength of it amazes me. Even though it failed, obviously it saved his life.

The guy who did the welding is kind of the unsung hero at this point.
    I think he should get a mention or maybe some screen time at the next race!:):

Top Bottom