• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central
    I haven`t heard anything about that yet. I need to take a look at the IDNR Fish and Wildlife site and see if there`s any word there. I wouldn`t be surprised, but at the same time, sometimes a rumor get`s started that has no basis.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    had not heard about the expiration, and I don't recall any articles about people injured or property damaged from rifle hunting.

gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central
    I don't see it as a huge deal. What I'm more concerned about is eliminating the rifle laws for private land.
    Why would you seek to keep others from using a firearm on private land that the state has deemed to be legal? What I personally am concerned with are those who are busy bodies that look to control everyone else.

gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central
    I'm OK with this. I think we have been killing too many does lately. My basis for this is a consistent downward trend in the number of mature does I see in the area I hunt over the last 6-7 years.
    Fortunately, the professionals at the DNR, i.e., Wildlife Biologists, have a good handle on the health of the herd. If you don`t think does ought to be killed, the solution is simple, YOU ought to not kill does. Everyone else can hunt their conscience as well, and, within the law.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Rifles made a big difference when taking deer. I've taken several right around 200yrds with my 308. I'd never even think of doing that with a shotgun or handgun. I knew eventually the high power rifles would make a difference in deer population.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Why would you seek to keep others from using a firearm on private land that the state has deemed to be legal? What I personally am concerned with are those who are busy bodies that look to control everyone else.
    I think you're misunderstanding him. I think he's concerned that they will revoke the use of rifle calibers on private land.

gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central
    Rifles made a big difference when taking deer. I've taken several right around 200yrds with my 308. I'd never even think of doing that with a shotgun or handgun. I knew eventually the high power rifles would make a difference in deer population.
    I`d believe that, but I`d qualify that with saying that it won`t be the same everywhere. Even though there are a couple places I used to have access to hunt that I could see deer in the field or across it out to 300 or more yards, I`d personally never take that shot because I do not practice that range. Additionally, where I currently will likely hunt, the terrain is such that I`d not have a shot much past 75 yards at best. Having said that, I still want to kill a deer with my Ruger M77 Mark II .30-06, and so long as it`s legal, I mean to.

IMHO, too many people are too interested in telling everyone else what they can and cannot do. I`m really only interested in what the wildlife professionals at the DNR have to say. And I mean what they have to say, ONLY using sound biological science, WITHOUT the catering to the trophy goons. With hunter numbers declining, it only makes sense to allow more tools for hunting, so long as it doesn`t hurt the resource, and so long as it`s safe. I`d say it`s been clearly shown that the use of HPR`s is safe. As to whether it`s detrimental to the herd, that`s for the DNR to decide.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Fortunately, the professionals at the DNR, i.e., Wildlife Biologists, have a good handle on the health of the herd. If you don`t think does ought to be killed, the solution is simple, YOU ought to not kill does. Everyone else can hunt their conscience as well, and, within the law.
    Now you're contradicting yourself. You say that the DNR has a good handle on things (and decided to eliminate the bonus antlerless hunts), and then turn around and say that if people don't want to shoot does, then they shouldn't, implying that the DNR is wrong. :scratch:

gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central
    I think you're misunderstanding him. I think he's concerned that they will revoke the use of rifle calibers on private land.
    Ahhhh, my apologies! We`re on the same page then for sure. I`m no insider and have no information that anyone else doesn`t have, but I`d be hard pressed to believe that the DNR is going to do away with the HPR`s for private land. They`ve been proven to be safe, and in fact, from what I`ve heard, there`s a push to try to get the DNR to approve them for public ground as well.

gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central
    Now you're contradicting yourself. You say that the DNR has a good handle on things (and decided to eliminate the bonus antlerless hunts), and then turn around and say that if people don't want to shoot does, then they shouldn't, implying that the DNR is wrong. :scratch:
    No contradiction in the least. The poster said that he disapproves of the bonus antlerless season in general because he thinks too many does are being taken. I said, pretty clearly I thought, that when the bonus antlerless season is open, he should just decline from killing does.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Ahhhh, my apologies! We`re on the same page then for sure. I`m no insider and have no information that anyone else doesn`t have, but I`d be hard pressed to believe that the DNR is going to do away with the HPR`s for private land. They`ve been proven to be safe, and in fact, from what I`ve heard, there`s a push to try to get the DNR to approve them for public ground as well.
    I agree personally, even though I'm not a deer hunter. I've always thought it was silly to have no caliber restrictions on squirrels for example, but to restrict them for larger game.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    No contradiction in the least. The poster said that he disapproves of the bonus antlerless season in general because he thinks too many does are being taken. I said, pretty clearly I thought, that when the bonus antlerless season is open, he should just decline from killing does.
    Okay, then maybe I just misunderstood you. My apologies as well. :thumbsup:

gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central
    I agree personally, even though I'm not a deer hunter. I've always thought it was silly to have no caliber restrictions on squirrels for example, but to restrict them for larger game.
    Well, I get it in general. It`s overall a safety thing. I think it`s obvious to everyone that there`s a greater risk potential with a centerfire rifle than a slug-gun or a muzzleloader. Indiana, unfortunately is more and more densely populated all the time. Houses pop up in front of, in the middle of, crop fields all the time. And as some have implied here, there`s a greater risk to the resource as well, in terms of killing more deer. I get both concerns, and if the DNR said today, that they are suspending the use of HPR`s for white-tail deer, I`d be disappointed, but hey, they make the calls. I have a Knight Disc Extreme .50 caliber muzzleloader, and a sweet Wicked Ridge Invader HP crossbow, and I`ll put all the venison I need into the freezer with those.
    Bottom line for me is that the resource is in good shape, and we have the ability to hunt into the foreseeable future.

Top Bottom