• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I get that the ACU gear is cheap, but why, why, why would you buy it? God ACUs only ever blended in with this one image of a couch...

View attachment 202797

Hell, even though OCPs only really blend in with dry grass, even they are a step up from the ACUs.

Now MARPAT, or old school BDUs are the way to go for camo.
    Biggest problem with most acu gear isn’t just the camo it’s the design. The iotv was terrible and it was just about peak acu carrier

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    God ACUs only ever blended in with this one image of a couch...

1653774016994.png
    Oh man, I could've done some serious damage with that couch and a set of that camo when I was a kid with my Johnny 7 gun, ambushing my mom. I had to hide behind the couch for the element of surprise! :lmfao:

jsx1043

Master
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Apr 9, 2008
    Napghanistan
    I get that the ACU gear is cheap, but why, why, why would you buy it? God ACUs only ever blended in with this one image of a couch...

View attachment 202797

Hell, even though OCPs only really blend in with dry grass, even they are a step up from the ACUs.

Now MARPAT, or old school BDUs are the way to go for camo.
    I’ve always loved that picture!

As for ACU gear, I’d say it’s still a good buy if you buy something decent like a FLC, chest rig, or the like. Yeah, the pattern sucks, but it’s better than no kit at all and can be hit with a dusting of Krylon. Heck, all the future fighting is gonna be in the cities so it’s one step closer anyways.

MRE Milkshake

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2022
    Indianapolis
    I’ve always loved that picture!

As for ACU gear, I’d say it’s still a good buy if you buy something decent like a FLC, chest rig, or the like. Yeah, the pattern sucks, but it’s better than no kit at all and can be hit with a dusting of Krylon. Heck, all the future fighting is gonna be in the cities so it’s one step closer anyways.
    Yeah, the Army was stupid to adopt the ACUs. Camo in urban areas won't really matter though for the average infantryman anyways so I would say just go with whatever camo pattern fits best with the environment the region you are in goes with.

jsx1043

Master
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Apr 9, 2008
    Napghanistan
    I always figured that camouflage in the urban environment would end up being fairly useless after a point. While it’s a movie, I always felt an appreciation for the reality that the directors achieved in Battle: Los Angeles.

When they Marine unit started out, they had all of their desert kit with coyote PCs and desert Marpat uniforms. By the end of it, with all of the fighting, dirt and grime, their uniforms were a nasty mess and a solid dark grey:

7A3BD526-14DD-49DA-A112-FAE8934B4BC5.jpeg

36A7B10E-2664-49D6-9341-F43DBF130A28.jpeg

That being said, I think more muted tones like wolf grey, ranger green and even to some extent coyote and black would end up doing better. That still being said, if someone on a budget still needed kit, a good ACU or coyote chest rig or FLC (maybe Rit dyed or dosed with some spray paint) over readily available soft armor would put them light years ahead of the guy without anything.

akrylov

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2022
    Indianapolis
    So yesterday I made a I'll say big purchase I got a level IV plate from ar500 they are having a sale and I decided to jump on it, yes it's just the one plate but it's a start I'm very excited, of course I'll need another plate, trauma pads and a vest but in time, and I'm sure I'll get good or bad comments
    dont break my balls please,
    I think trauma pads are scam, you already have level 4 steel plate which stops Dragunov bullet, hard plates known to not bent after impact, so there is no reason to have trauma pads, it's my just my opinion

akrylov

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2022
    Indianapolis
    Any suggestions for brands that are currently available (meaning not a 2-3 month wait)?

For $300 or less, are you looking at the heavier hard plates?
    Scorpion tactical, 2 ar500 plates level 3 protection for 90$, what more important is that they are listed in NIJ website as trusted and passed all their tests, I would say this is the best deal you can ever get

Ruger_Ronin

Turkey Herder
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 22, 2017
    Outer Heaven
    I think trauma pads are scam, you already have level 4 steel plate which stops Dragunov bullet, hard plates known to not bent after impact, so there is no reason to have trauma pads, it's my just my opinion
    I retyped this twice to be nicer....
    Please do not spread misinformation based on opinion.

Backface deformation is common with steel plates of various "levels". This is what those pads were designed for, to mitigate blunt force trauma when rounds impact the armor. Ceramic/composite plates do a better job of dispersing the energy of the impact vs steel, mostly negating the need for such pads.

jsx1043

Master
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Apr 9, 2008
    Napghanistan

Backface deformation is common with steel plates of various "levels". This is what those pads were designed for, to mitigate blunt force trauma when rounds impact the armor. Ceramic/composite plates do a better job of dispersing the energy of the impact vs steel, mostly negating the need for such pads.
    Thank you.

Also, there’s a difference between pads and backers. Some companies use the term interchangeably. Pads are a cushion to make the plate more comfortable to wear, backers are a ballistic soft armor panel that helps protect against back face deformation, scale up certain (ICW/in conjunction with) plates, act as a lighter armor option protecting against frag and pistol calibers, and when worn on the front of steel plates, acts as a spalling protector.

Ruger_Ronin

Turkey Herder
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 22, 2017
    Outer Heaven
    Thank you.

Also, there’s a difference between pads and backers. Some companies use the term interchangeably. Pads are a cushion to make the plate more comfortable to wear, backers are a ballistic soft armor panel that helps protect against back face deformation, scale up certain (ICW/in conjunction with) plates, act as a lighter armor option protecting against frag and pistol calibers, and when worn on the front of steel plates, acts as a spalling protector.

yeah-tradingplaces.gif

akrylov

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2022
    Indianapolis

I would understand pads for soft armor which only stops force by capturing bullet in itself, but hard steel disperse force over entire surface, I am not expert, but watch tests of hard armor, it get almost 1 mm bent on back side even from AK 7,62

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Steel plate wearing you should also wear something like this. If your plate takes multiple hits it will still provide protection, however it with start sending fragments of the bullets into your face and neck. Something like this would provide protection from that.

1656048470929.png

This video can show you what can happen on impact with steel plate armor.

Last edited:

akrylov

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2022
    Indianapolis
    Steel plate wearing you should also wear something like this. If your plate takes multiple hits it will still provide protection, however it with start sending fragments of the bullets into your face and neck. Something like this would provide protection from that.

View attachment 207709

This video can show you what can happen on impact with steel plate armor.

I would say it is extremely impractical considering wearing that on hunting or public places, It can be easily substituted with hard plates with coating, it absorbs all fragments and does not make you look weird

Top Bottom