Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 31, 2010
    Happy to. Links included:

Carrier is a Condor MOPC - $80
    Kangaroo mag insert - $16
    Med pouch - $17

Various generic pouches for Leatherman, TQ (Cat7). Lamp is a Milwaukee headlamp from HD recommended by another INGO'er.

I pieced the EMT kit together myself as opposed to a preset kit. All in all it's about +/- $650 worth of goodies. It is capable of accepting side plates (pouch not included), I just don't use them. The buckles are for a pack I have integrated into the system. Link I was inspired by.

Happy answer any more specific Q's
    Thanks for all the component info and links, it was very helpful. I do have a few more specific questions.
    • Did your RTS Level IV plates fit nicely into your Condor?
    • How much does your complete setup weigh?
    • How comfortable is the complete setup? Have you worn it for extended periods of time like during training?
    • Is it easy to quickly put on?
    • How do you store it for quick home defense use for that "bump in the night"?
    • Anything you'd change or do differently now that you've had yours setup?
    Thanks, I really appreciate the advice and experiences you'd like to share.

Ruger_Ronin

Turkey Herder
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 22, 2017
    Outer Heaven
    Thanks for all the component info and links, it was very helpful. I do have a few more specific questions.
    • Did your RTS Level IV plates fit nicely into your Condor? YES, near perfect.
    • How much does your complete setup weigh? Not sure, need to weigh it all.
    • How comfortable is the complete setup? Have you worn it for extended periods of time like during training? I have, quite comfortable. The trick is to fit it properly.
    • Is it easy to quickly put on? So-so. Shoulder straps a bit tight around my big head, but manageable.
    • How do you store it for quick home defense use for that "bump in the night"? On my closet floor behind the door. I really didn't intend on it in that scenario.
    • Anything you'd change or do differently now that you've had yours setup? Everytime I train in it something changes. Always evolving as I learn.
    Thanks, I really appreciate the advice and experiences you'd like to share. Not former LEO/service. Limited civ exp, but I do enjoy training in it.

Last edited:

firefighterjohn

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 31, 2010
    Thanks again, sounds like a really well-thought-thru setup you've got in place. Curious...do you have a 'better-half'? Do you have the same setup for them or did you go with something not as complex but still give Level IV protection?

turnerdye1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    North Central IN
    Thanks again, sounds like a really well-thought-thru setup you've got in place. Curious...do you have a 'better-half'? Do you have the same setup for them or did you go with something not as complex but still give Level IV protection?

Not the original OP but I did something similar for my wife but not the same due to weight.

I'm running level 4's, 3 AR mags, 1 pistol mag, 1 tourniquet, a radio pouch, and a medical dangler with another tourniquet and supplies.

She's running level 4's, 1 AR mag, 1 pistol mag, 1 tourniquet, and a full medical pouch. May add a general purpose pouch for a radio or more mags depending on any situtation.

Also have a spare carrier with level 4's and a clone HSP DC3 thats running 3 AR mags, 2 pistol mags, and the front pocket is full of medical supplies

firefighterjohn

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 31, 2010
    Not the original OP but I did something similar for my wife but not the same due to weight.

I'm running level 4's, 3 AR mags, 1 pistol mag, 1 tourniquet, a radio pouch, and a medical dangler with another tourniquet and supplies.

She's running level 4's, 1 AR mag, 1 pistol mag, 1 tourniquet, and a full medical pouch. May add a general purpose pouch for a radio or more mags depending on any situtation.

Also have a spare carrier with level 4's and a clone HSP DC3 thats running 3 AR mags, 2 pistol mags, and the front pocket is full of medical supplies
    Thanks turnerdye1, I was wondering how others might have set one up for their wife/spouse. Makes sense to have some of the same capabilities on theirs as well but lighter.

Ruger_Ronin

Turkey Herder
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 22, 2017
    Outer Heaven

I did make her a rig, but lack of training interest was cause for me to sell secondary rig and steel plates out of both to help fund RTS upgrade.

She has been relegated to an old ALICE rig to carry mags and a backpack.

Goodcat

From a place you cannot see…
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    152   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    New Pal
    So yesterday I made a I'll say big purchase I got a level IV plate from ar500 they are having a sale and I decided to jump on it, yes it's just the one plate but it's a start I'm very excited, of course I'll need another plate, trauma pads and a vest but in time, and I'm sure I'll get good or bad comments
    dont break my balls please,
    Not breaking your balls, just reality. AR500 steel style armor is prone to sprawling, which can be incredibly dangerous for the user. Modern AR500 armor has anti sprawl coatings, which can help, but not eliminate this. I recommend ceramic armor whenever possible. Hesco is a gold standard. The Hesco L210 special threat is a affordable (around $340 a pair from TRex Arms and similar), and offer outstanding protection utilizing ceramic armor. Great balance of weight and protection.

That being said, I would wear AR500 armor vs nothing any day, I just always encourage people to go ceramic when possible.

Be sure to read up on armor sizing. You will find measurement charts to determine your size on Google. Sizes are based on height and vital areas, NOT what shirt or jacket size you wear. Most people make the mistake of sizing armor WAY too big.

Ruger_Ronin

Turkey Herder
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 22, 2017
    Outer Heaven
    Safariland QLS system updated to full load out. Primary location for holster (TRex Ragnarok) is mid-height UBL on belt. Secondary location is directly above on carrier.

IMG_20220305_191102919.jpg

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    Not breaking your balls, just reality. AR500 steel style armor is prone to sprawling, which can be incredibly dangerous for the user. Modern AR500 armor has anti sprawl coatings, which can help, but not eliminate this. I recommend ceramic armor whenever possible. Hesco is a gold standard. The Hesco L210 special threat is a affordable (around $340 a pair from TRex Arms and similar), and offer outstanding protection utilizing ceramic armor. Great balance of weight and protection.

That being said, I would wear AR500 armor vs nothing any day, I just always encourage people to go ceramic when possible.

Be sure to read up on armor sizing. You will find measurement charts to determine your size on Google. Sizes are based on height and vital areas, NOT what shirt or jacket size you wear. Most people make the mistake of sizing armor WAY too big.

I don't think AR500 makes a steel IV plate, theirs is ceramic. There's no sane person who would use a plate that is 13 pounds alone.

crosse

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2015
    PNW
    So who makes the best budget plate carrier??? And anywhere now I should be looking to order plates from?
    @cg21 you should be wary of getting a budget carrier unless you are just getting a pc for the sake of telling everyone you "have a PC". If you do plan to get some use of out of it, a bit more info about you're intended use will help weed out various carriers and plates.

I have ICW setups and stand alones. the ICW's are more definitely more mounted transport/overt security job oriented. Stand alones are usually much more minimalist very "oh ****" moment use. US military grade PC's are built to be used several hours a day for potentially multiple deployments with sometimes no real regard to range of motion or civilian use. Minimalist PCs are great for larping or limited situational use. And there's a ton of options in between the two. Not to mention some carriers only fit certain plate shapes.

I support capitalism so if there's a demand and someone meets it w/o lying AR500 Armor is fine by me. Buyer beware about all the cons about steel tho. The best thing to do with your existing steel plate or newer styles is try it out and then figure out if you can get better gear or better tactics. :) I have a cabinet full of plates that didn't work out for me. lol Rooster had a great primer.

Last edited:

turnerdye1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    North Central IN
    I’ve got a Ferro concept slingster, a 5.11 tactec carrier, and a LAPG low vis all setup differently.

I wouldn’t go any cheaper then those. They run 75-150 for just the carrier. Just select one for what you think you want. Don’t get a low vis carrier and then load it up with a bunch of ****. They aren’t designed for the weight. If you wanna put a bunch of stuff on one pay extra for a carrier that’s designed for it and has good shoulder pads.

Goodcat

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    152   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    New Pal
    I’ve got a Ferro concept slingster, a 5.11 tactec carrier, and a LAPG low vis all setup differently.

I wouldn’t go any cheaper then those. They run 75-150 for just the carrier. Just select one for what you think you want. Don’t get a low vis carrier and then load it up with a bunch of ****. They aren’t designed for the weight. If you wanna put a bunch of stuff on one pay extra for a carrier that’s designed for it and has good shoulder pads.
    I love Ferro. I run a Slingster, a Ferro Bison Belt, and Slickster carrier.

turnerdye1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    North Central IN
    I love Ferro. I run a Slingster, a Ferro Bison Belt, and Slickster carrier.

Well I made a mistake lol. I have the Slickster carrier. I don't have their sling yet. I've been looking at getting one but I've been pretty happy with my new gen Magpuls and Centerfigue Training slings.

Belts are my new venture. I wear a duty belt for work everyday so I've been avoiding building a tactical one because I hate belts lol

Goodcat

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    152   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    New Pal
    Well I made a mistake lol. I have the Slickster carrier. I don't have their sling yet. I've been looking at getting one but I've been pretty happy with my new gen Magpuls and Centerfigue Training slings.

Belts are my new venture. I wear a duty belt for work everyday so I've been avoiding building a tactical one because I hate belts lol
    Lol, they sound so close. You’ll love the Slingster too. :)

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    Yes. See posts #85 - #87.
    Thank you, I recently got into “rucking” and I was going to buy a weighted vest. But I figure if I get a plate carrier, dual purpose. But I wasn’t sure how to add more weight as I train. A backpack would allow me to add more weight as I get more in shape.

MRE Milkshake

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2022
    Indianapolis
    Good score! I own a couple soft versions of Armor from former LEO jobs. The carriers were getting ripe with use, but the kevlar was dry and not even discolored.New outside carriers got ordered, and now own 2 "ready to go" hanging up in closet.

While surfing net, found a pair of class 4 plates, and lightweight cover for sale. New and unused, so put in a bid, and won the deal for $80, shipped. Received, very nice shape, although heavy and carrier sent seemed pretty light duty.

Saw an unissued military carrier, in ACU camo, and an unissued water carrier included, for a whole $25 plus $6 shipping so bid it out, and won it too. Its enroute now, so hope to see it soon.

My plan is to keep one in each car trunk, and spare mags attached for my Glock 19, maybe a can of OC, and a tactical flashlight. On an extreme call to work, a cased rifle with spare 30 rounds mag can be added.

Im looking for a PASGT helmet now to add, although i do have a fiberglass model which isnt kevlar. Ordered the ACU camo cover for helmet, and it installed in 5 minutes. Perfect fit. The ACU gear is $ cheap right now. so if you desire keep looking on FleaBay. Good luck.
    I get that the ACU gear is cheap, but why, why, why would you buy it? God ACUs only ever blended in with this one image of a couch...

1653774016994.png

Hell, even though OCPs only really blend in with dry grass, even they are a step up from the ACUs.

Now MARPAT, or old school BDUs are the way to go for camo.

Top Bottom