• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Garb

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 4, 2009
    Richmond
    I am thinking of getting a revolver, specifically the Ruger sp101 or the LCR, for deep concealment. Personally, I like the SA option if I choose to use it, but I don't know if the hammer would be sticking me in the side constantly while I carry. How many here carry a compact revolver without the bobbed hammer? For a reference point, this gun will be carried in the pocket and/or IWB.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    My small carry revolver has an internal hammer, so no stories from me about standard vs. bobbed. However, the main reason for bobbing / internal hammers are for snag resistance rather than for carry comfort against the love-handles.

Especially for pocket carry, you want as smooth a profile as possible as to not hinder the draw.

-J-

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I am thinking of getting a revolver, specifically the Ruger sp101 or the LCR, for deep concealment. Personally, I like the SA option if I choose to use it, but I don't know if the hammer would be sticking me in the side constantly while I carry. How many here carry a compact revolver without the bobbed hammer? For a reference point, this gun will be carried in the pocket and/or IWB.

I had an SP101 many years ago and the hammer was a constant problem for IWB carry. It was constantly jabbing me. However I will say that I did not have a decent holster at the time, so that may have been part of it.

Ruger has an SP101 that has the hammer bobbed from the factory:

Ruger® SP101® Double-Action Revolver Models

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    I wouldn't worry about the hammer jabbing me as the gun is carried to be comforting, not comfortable. I would be worried about snagging the hammer when I needed to get it out.

I carry a Smith M638 with a shrouded hammer. If you still want hammer cocking capability (not sure why, but OK not my gun), why not go this route?

Captain Bligh

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2008
    I sometimes carry a S & W Model 60 in a Galco Summer Comfort. I have never been jabbed by the hammer. Granted a bobbed hammer could be better for pocket carry, but I don't do that. I prefer a hammer.

Garb

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 4, 2009
    Richmond
    I wouldn't worry about the hammer jabbing me as the gun is carried to be comforting, not comfortable. I would be worried about snagging the hammer when I needed to get it out.

I carry a Smith M638 with a shrouded hammer. If you still want hammer cocking capability (not sure why, but OK not my gun), why not go this route?

I was under the impression that a shrouded hammer could not be cocked.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I carried an SP101 for a while. I never remember the hammer being in the way. The hammer on those are pretty narrow, so I think that helps. Mine was a 3 inch barrel, and because of that it was hard to find a really good concealment holster. The 2 inch barrel had a lot more good holster choices.

orange

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 13, 2009
    Gary! Not cool.
    You're probably thinking of guns like the 642, photo here.

The 638 has a regular hammer that sticks out just a bit - you can see it in this photo. Allows for cocking it single action and in my opinion, which isn't very humble at all, makes for the ugliest gun ever made in the history of everything ever.
    JIaEI.jpg

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana

I use shrouded hammer to describe the 638. I use internal hammer or "hammerless" to describe firearms as the M640.

I am skeptical of any value that thumb-cocking offers the operator. However, if you must have the option, then why not the M638?

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    If it's strictly a defensive carry piece or HD then you probably have no need for a hammer anyway and should train to shoot with and get comfortable with a DA trigger.

mikerccie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    Indy - North Side
    You're probably thinking of guns like the 642, photo here.

The 638 has a regular hammer that sticks out just a bit - you can see it in this photo. Allows for cocking it single action and in my opinion, which isn't very humble at all, makes for the ugliest gun ever made in the history of everything ever.
    JIaEI.jpg

I really really want a 642 like that!

Haikufunk

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2009
    I have and carry a SP101 in a Blackhawk IWB holster. The hammer never jabs me, but I imagine that this would depend on your body type. I too debated hammer or no hammer before purchasing mine. My reason for sticking with the hammer is that I like having the option of single or double action. Just remember the SP101, while built like a tank and able to handle hot loads comfortably, is on the heavy side.

usermax2000

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 11, 2010
    Hi
    I personally like the hammers it gives you the opion s/a or d/a. As far as gabing you in the side never had that problem i always use pancake type holster. If you don't like the hammer buy a hammerless gun..:ar15::ingo:

X ring

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 11, 2010
    I also like the single action or double action option. My Smith&Wesson model 60 with a Don Hume inside the waistband holster is one of my favorite carry options.:twocents:

Garb

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 4, 2009
    Richmond
    I use shrouded hammer to describe the 638. I use internal hammer or "hammerless" to describe firearms as the M640.

I am skeptical of any value that thumb-cocking offers the operator. However, if you must have the option, then why not the M638?

I would train with it DA, but personally, I think more options are better. This is why I will never own a revolver chambered exclusively in .38 special (unless I get a killer deal on one). I see no reason not to carry a revolver chambered in .357 magnum that will also handle .38 specials. Likewise, I see no reason not to carry a revolver with the single action option, when the double action would still be fully functional. Just a pet peeve of mine I guess. :dunno: And I will look into the M638.

Top Bottom