• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jtgarner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    Bloomington
    Hey guys, I'm new to this forum so forgive me if this has been brought up before.

I am a student at IU and I am a Marine Reservist and I am wanting to get into competitive shooting, or at least try it once. The problem is that Bloomington is so liberal and I have yet to find anyplace worth going for shooting, browsing, or pretty much anything gun related.

Anyone know of anyplace close (like maybe 30 mins) that sells guns or has a good range that does some competitive shooting?

Thanks

Griffeycom

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 20, 2008
    There is a good range in Martinsville, but they have a max amount of members. I applied the first day available last year and got in just fine though. It's only $85 a year for basically unlimited (daylight hours) access. Here is there website:

Home - Martinsville Sportsman's Conservation Club

As far as buying guns in Bloomington..Dicks and MC Sports carry guns. There's a gunshop on Monon Street (Near Walnut and Grimes) called Four Seasons Gun Shop, but they have very limited hours and are not very big. There's also another place on West Third that is a gun/leather shop, I've never been in there so I don't know much about it.

That's all of the local stuff I can think of off the top of my head, I could have missed something, if so someone will add to it.

As far as competitions, the only competitions in the area I know of would be at Marion County Fish and Game, on the West side of Indianapolis. They have Friday Night Steel (which is tonight actually!) and I believe Trap shooting every Thursday.

If you travel East of Bloomington about 45-60 minutes there is the Atterbury gun range which has rifle and handgun ranges as well as shotgun trap/skeet field. They are an open range with hourly fees. There are also a few gun shops in that area I believe, but I am unfamilar with them so again, I'll let someone else chime in for those.

Hope this helps somewhat...Welcome to Ingo and Welcome to Bloomington!

Jtgarner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    Bloomington
    I actually just saw something on the Friday Night Steel but that it quite a drive. I have shot on Atterbury a lot thanks to the Marines, but never on their civilian range, might have to make a trip there soon.

Thanks

Anything else anyone knows about would be great.

oldbikelvr

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 1, 2010
    Bloomington, IN
    Wabash Valley Practical Pistol Shooters Wabash Valley Practical Pistol Shooters , shoots out of Riley east of Terre Haute. It takes me about 50 minutes to get there, but it is well worth the drive. I can't make Friday night steel, but it is about the same distance. Neither is really that far in the big scheme of things. Once you get hooked you won't mind the drive. I go out to Atterbury every couple of weeks or so as well. PM me if you are interested, you are more than welcome to ride along with me next time I go.

Semper Fi,

Brett

Jtgarner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    Bloomington
    OK thanks for the pointers guys, I have been down here awhile and I am just now starting to get into competition shooting so I thought I would ask what everyone else here does.

OWGEM

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 9, 2010
    Columbus, IN
    Google Hoosier Hills Rifle and Pistol Club. They have an outdoor range a few miles east of Nashville, IN. Maybe 25 minutes from Bloomington.

I would also recommend South Central they have a competitive match first Sunday every month 10 months of the year. Very reasonable membership at $45 1st year, $35 thereafter.

downrange72

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 3, 2009
    SW Indy/Camby/West Newton
    Come on out to Riley to Wabash valley next weekend.

Isn't Terre Haute near St. Louis:D. We hadn't heard that in awhile. I know I'm channeling Rhino.

I recommend an ACT Competitive shooting class. These are generally near Greencastle.

You do have several options that would be within a 60-90 minute drive. Trust me, most everyone I know in shooting sports will be more than willing to help you out. I hope to see you out soon.

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    We don't compete, but we have fun when we (INGO members) get together in BTown and shoot. Drop me a PM if you'd like to go along sometime.

sti38super

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 7, 2010
    Seymour
    I will be hosting a Shooters Class at the South Central Gun Range the 31st of Oct. that covers USPSA type shooting. Several people on this thread have taken the class. $50 for a 4hrs. class and you can scope out our range and I can sign you up as a Member also.

Goosepond Monster

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 15, 2010
    Ellettsville
    There are a couple of places near Spencer (20-25 minutes west of Bton) that sell guns. Walden Guns is a shop out in the country that a couple runs out of their house and Spencer Bait and Tackle is right across the highway from McCormick's Creek State Park.

Top Bottom