• ...and so much more!
  • churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I bet he was not even paid in cash for working the mines. My grandfather wasn't. My grandmother, who raised me a good portion of my childhood, lived in those "company camps" half her life, managed to get out, and told me a lot about it (we had plenty of time to talk). There are very few black people in America today who had grandparents who experienced anything closer to slavery than mine did. And if they do, they are probably recent immigrants from somewhere else.
    The narrative is on the rails and rolling fast. The "Gimme" freebees crowd is in the wings ready for the checks to hit the mail box.
    After they blow through that it will be some other cockamamy :bs: that we somehow owe them something because of the thing.......that was the thing.

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    One wing of my ancestors on my dad's side were taken from their homes in Ireland by Oliver Cromwell and sent to the new world in chains, and their properties and homes were stolen. People these days like to call them "indentured servants" in an effort to downplay and minimize the fact that white people were slaves too, but make no mistake. They were slaves.

smittygj

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 11, 2010
    Kingdom of Bahrain
    My family owned slaves in Alabama back in the 1850's. We only know so as my relatives parents died in a house fire, and he was sent to live with his other relatives in Texas, and they did not own or run slaves, so they rented them out. It's in the court documents. But none of them mention anyone by name, so we can't relate anything to anyone. How do you pay reparations for something you do not know?

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    My family owned slaves in Alabama back in the 1850's. We only know so as my relatives parents died in a house fire, and he was sent to live with his other relatives in Texas, and they did not own or run slaves, so they rented them out. It's in the court documents. But none of them mention anyone by name, so we can't relate anything to anyone. How do you pay reparations for something you do not know?
    Easy. You harmed the greater good of all mankind. Just pay your money to the government and they will figure out who deserves it. :rolleyes:

kickbacked

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    Let's see your proof that the professor is wrong. The professor spent time researching this you spent 5 seconds trying to refute him without proof.
    I literally explained why it was wrong using his own words. If you cannot read what I quoted and see why the numbers cant be compared thats the public school system's problem not mine.

If you do the same math that gets you 1.4% of whites in ALL of America you get 0.06% of Black freed slaves that owned slaves. That doesnt even adjust for the freed slaves that purchased family members.

Bugzilla

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2021
    DeMotte
    Just like the 9-11 survivors. I could not understand why we were paying all the money to them. Yes it was bad, yes people died, but why did that require the tax payers to fund the bill?

AtTheMurph

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2013
    Of course laying the blame on all white people is ridiculous.

But pretending slavery in America didn't have an effect on our society today is equally ridiculous.

What effects did slavery that ended 150 years ago have in our society?

AtTheMurph

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2013
    I am more than willing to pay reparations to every slave I’ve owned and their descendants. Matter of fact, I’ll cover the reparations for my father, his father, his father and his father as well.

Now what?
    What about the reimbursement for the price paid for the slaves, the food, medical care, clothing, housing and transportation?

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    More perspective.

...but I'm unsure as to why this is an argument against reparations as there are so much better reasons to be against them. Further, the Critical Race Theory oppressor vs. oppressed dynamic as a modern reality does not need this issue to show it for what it is, just another form of Marxist theory.

While I am not saying anyone here is saying it, that white supremacy was integral to slavery in the south and the push against reconstruction really can't plausibly be denied.

Last edited:

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    More perspective.

...but I'm unsure as to why this is an argument against reparations as there are so much better reasons to be against them. Further, the Critical Race Theory oppressor vs. oppressed dynamic as a modern reality does not need this issue to show it for what it is, just another form of Marxist theory.

While I am not saying anyone here is saying it, that white supremacy was integral to slavery in the south and the push against reconstruction really can't plausibly be denied.

Presenting a reason why reparations are dumb isn't excluding all of the other reasons it's dumb.
    If the entire premise is beginning on a flawed foundation, it proves how ridiculous the concept is on its face.

I mean, a significant portion of the US population has no roots here prior to 1890-1900. Especially in the midwest.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Presenting a reason why reparations are dumb isn't excluding all of the other reasons it's dumb.
    If the entire premise is beginning on a flawed foundation, it proves how ridiculous the concept is on its face.

I mean, a significant portion of the US population has no roots here prior to 1890-1900. Especially in the midwest.
    Agreed, but I was more getting at the idea that the fact that some (few) black people owned slaves only means that there are a few more people responsible for reparations and does not go to the main problem which is that reparations are not justified, nor a good idea on any level, regardless of who pays them.

Also, I refuse to buy into an "us vs. them" mentality as to race. That is all others want to talk about. I refuse.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    Agreed, but I was more getting at the idea that the fact that some (few) black people owned slaves only means that there are a few more people responsible for reparations and does not go to the main problem which is that reparations are not justified, nor a good idea on any level, regardless of who pays them.

Also, I refuse to buy into an "us vs. them" mentality as to race. That is all others want to talk about. I refuse.

The only concept for reparations I would have seen as reasonable would have been offering a territory to self govern on. Which we did attempt but due to some awkwardness involving blacks fighting for us in the civil war, that seemed a bit distasteful to fully implement as planned.

After that, the concept of trying to do it again should have been viewed by all sides as distasteful to go forward with anyway.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne

5lL.gif

Yup. Every store owner that put up a sign, everyone watching a poll, every one that uttered a slur etc., etc., etc. were all Democrats.

AtTheMurph

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2013
    Slavery may have ended then, but the racism, segregation, exclusion that derived from it certainly didn't end then.
    And what were the effects? Do the private thoughts of someone in regards to race have an effect? Are they even something that government has any business involved in?

Many people self segregate. My Sicilian ancestors self segregated (and perhaps were forced segregated). Did that have bad effects?

And I am unsure what you mean by "exclusion".

spec4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 19, 2010
    NWI
    Totally ridiculous logic. Two of my ancestors (that I know of) fount for the Union, one didn't make it. Should I be compensated?

The USA has come up with every welfare, giveaway program know to man. The reparations have already been made.

kickbacked

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    What effects did slavery that ended 150 years ago have in our society?
    I know that you mean legal slavery ended 150 years ago but it should be noted that slavery still exists in America and is something we should continue to work to extinguish.

Top Bottom