• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Nov 23, 2008
    Mishawaka
    Anyone here like to shoot black powder revolvers ? All the time i've been going to the range i've yet to see anyone shooting black powder.

Myself, i can't get enough of it. I have a Ruger Old Army stainless, Armi San Paolo 1858 and a Uberti Dragoon 3rd model. A Uberti Walker is next on my short list to get.

Right now I cast my own .454 & .457 round ball and make my own lube wads. Makes for some inexpensive & fun shooting.

I'm telling ya, nothing goes better together than the smell of Goex FFF and bacon in the morning. :rockwoot:

dburkhead

Master
    Mar 18, 2008
    Part of the reason you never see it could be range rules. For instance, at the indoor range where I do most of my shooting (only five minutes from where I work--lunch hour range trips :rockwoot:) black powder is verboten.

I'm looking to get a cap and ball revolver in the near future and possibly a black powder long arm, probably a flinty, as well.

Nov 23, 2008
    Mishawaka
    I do most of my shooting at a outdoor range where just about anything goes within reason.

I purchased the Ruger Old Army new about 2 years ago and figured if I didn't like it I could sell it and back out of black powder revolver shooting all together. Well needless to say I was hooked. Only part that can be a pain depending how you look at it is the gun clean up afterwards. Soap & water then dry everything and then clean as you normally would with a smokeless handgun.

Purchasing the Ruger Old Army turned out in my favor since Ruger has now quit production of these and the price has increased tremendously. The Uberti Dragoon is by far my favorite in the arena though. 50gr of fff out of a revolver just does something to the soul !

gunrunner1212

Plinker
    Jul 19, 2008
    Anderson
    They are alot of fun. I have a Lyman 1851 Navy .36 cal if it didn't take so long to reload it would get shot more, I took to Wilbur Wright once but it was kinda windy out and didn't work out too good.:draw:

Nov 23, 2008
    Mishawaka
    They are alot of fun. I have a Lyman 1851 Navy .36 cal if it didn't take so long to reload it would get shot more, I took to Wilbur Wright once but it was kinda windy out and didn't work out too good.:draw:

90% of the time I pour the powder while reloading at the range but for the times I feel lazy I make paper cartridges in the evening here at the house. That way you just drop them in the cylinder. Makes reloading alot faster and you don't have the wind to contend with.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Nov 2, 2008
    I shoot them. My buddy had a stainless Ruger for years until he messed it up.

I've got one but not a Ruger. It's stainless and I don't remember the brand. It's a lot of fun to shoot but not the gun a Ruger is. I want a seven inch Ruger in stainless with adjustable target sights.

Ricnzak

Master
    Nov 15, 2008
    Noblesville
    I have a replica of a Colt. I have never fired it and don't even know were to start. I would like to meet some people who shoot these to learn how. Black Powder shoot anyone?

dburkhead

Master
    Mar 18, 2008
    How do you make paper cartridges?

:+1:

My understanding is that the paper used for such cartridges is treated to be completely consumed, which would mean special paper. Then there's the act of making the paper cartridge itself.

I'd also like to know for paper cartridges for long guns. The invention of paper cartridges was one of the major developments in effective military firearms, reducing loading time dramatically (cartridge included bullet--bite off the bullet. Pour in the premeasured powder from the cartridge. Load the bullet. The paper even serves as a wad).

Nov 23, 2008
    Mishawaka
    dburkhead you are correct in how they did do it in the olden days :)

I don't go quite that far though. I just use a regular cigarette rolling paper. I then wrap it around a sharpie marker and wet the edge and seal. Leave enough hanging of the end of the marker so you can fold one end shut, wet the end a little when you do this. Now just funnel the proper amount of powder into the paper and "twist" the top end shut. I don't load the ball in the paper is one step I skip.

When you get to the range you just drop the cartridges in each cylinder and drop in a wad and ball and seat. That's it.

If you want to make sure all the paper gets consumed you could mix 50/50 acetone and black powder and stir it up and then use a small paint brush to lightly coat the paper cartridge. This "will" ensure total paper consumption.

Here's a tutorial on how to make the paper cartridges

Paper Cartridges, step by step photos.. - THR

Last edited:

Rafterman

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Apr 15, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I got into shooting BP revolvers a few years ago and liked it. On a whim I sold all the stuff and consontrated on tactical arms and such. After awhile we get tired or bored with the same type of arms and start pining to get back to basics of firearms.

I feel that way now and it is hard to beat the BP cap n ball revolvers. Back to basics, loads of fun to shoot and just plain messing with them.
    I think lots of people don't want the mess or just get a little lazy when it comes to loading and all.

Keep it up!

052.5GT

Plinker
    Jan 21, 2009
    Columbus
    I really like my CVA .36 Navy. It has some really nice engraving on the cylinder. I typically only take mine to the range once or twice a year.

Does anyone here that shoots one seal the cylinders with anything to prevent chain fire? I use crisco.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Jan 19, 2009
    Crisco works for me, never had a chain fire in 30 years. I would like to try the paper cartridges sometime.

052.5GT

Plinker
    Jan 21, 2009
    Columbus
    neither have i, but i figure using the crisco is an extra safety measure. I also wear my helmet and jacket and gloves every time I hop on my motorcycle. Guess I like to take all precautions.

Is there any alternative out there, or is crisco what most people use?

Sailor

Master
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    How does the .36 Navy shoot compared to the 44 Army?

I have both, and just shot the 44 for the first time. Very satisfying thump I must say.

Questions. Both are Uberti BTW. I have size 11 caps and they kept falling off, I read on the net that was the size to get. Also the barrel pin on the 44 is it supposed to go all the way through and stick out the other side? I can barely get it through enough for even the latch to connect.

Thanks.

Top Bottom