• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • econnell

Marksman
    Apr 22, 2009
    Howard Co IN
    Would any BP lads near Howard county mind offering any instruction for hands on learning about my fathers ky longrifle, i have his leather bag contains flints, patches, measures, what looks like brass balls, and so on, but no idea on powder loads, caliber, how to tell if flints need changed and so on. Or any direction would be wonderful. Thanks!

Crash

Plinker
    Jul 31, 2021
    Shelby County
    #2 son and I did some shooting with cap/ball and cartridge BP today, all original View attachment 151743 guns.
    Thats a pretty impressive collection. Thats cool you are including your son and introducing the next generation to black powder !!

Today for the first time, I shot my first modern inline muzzle loader ( I bought a cheap CVA Wolf) using premade pellets (100 grains worth) and powerbelt 348 grain bullets. For some reason at 100 yards I was all over the map. I'm talking a 15 inch spread while using a brand new vortex scope cranked up to 12x on a brand new rifle. I was using a brush and running a patch with bore butter after every shot but the accuracy was terrible. I'm new to modern inline muzzleloading, but to me this level of accuracy seems to indicate that something is seriously wrong. I have a lot of experience shooting larger boar bolt guns and shotguns with a lot of recoil, so I don't think I was flinching. Could it be possible that 100 grains of powder is not enough to accurately shoot the 348 grain round consistently straight ? I did not use Loctite on the scope mount threads or the threads on the scope rings. My brother in law told me his rifle never shot consistently with powerbelts, but could they be that bad ?

Crash

Plinker
    Jul 31, 2021
    Shelby County
    Traditional BP, I usually start with 50gr and go up about 5gr increments. Seems like you find a sweet spot for that particular rifle. Some are more sensitive to powder change than others.
    Thanks ! Next time I go to the range I'll start with 50gr of powder and I'll also try using some 240 grain sabots this time. Maybe I can get this thing to shoot consistently before deer season.

ScouT6a

Master
    Mar 11, 2013
    Would any BP lads near Howard county mind offering any instruction for hands on learning about my fathers ky longrifle, i have his leather bag contains flints, patches, measures, what looks like brass balls, and so on, but no idea on powder loads, caliber, how to tell if flints need changed and so on. Or any direction would be wonderful. Thanks!
    I am a bit of a drive from Howard County but I will answer any questions that I can. Been shooting BP for 35 years and I am an 18th century Living Historian.

Simple way to find out the caliber is check one of the balls with a caliper or micrometer. Typically, the balls are around 10 thousandths less that bore size. .350" = .36 caliber. .440" = .45 caliber. .490" = .50 caliber, etcetera.

Once you determine your caliber, a good rule to start with on your powder charge is to shoot your caliber. i.e. 50 grains for a .50 caliber.

You'll want to lube your patches. If you are loading and firing it within a few minutes, spit patching is fine. Pop a patch in your mouth as you are measuring out your powder, and just get the patch moist. Doesn't need to be dripping. If using it for hunting or going to be loaded several hours or all day, you'll want to use a natural oil or grease product, such as olive oil or mink oil to lube the patch. Again, not dripping, just damp.

The flint is going to need knapped (re-sharpened) when it stops sparking. Many good videos on YouTube on knapping a gun flint. They are a natural product, so you may get a dozen shots or 60 shots out of one before it needs replaced. Something you'll learn fairly quickly.

ScouT6a

Master
    Mar 11, 2013
    It's come to the mods' attention that there may be enough demand to warrant the creation of a new subforum for muzzle loaders/black powder firearms. We don't want to create a new area for every specific type of gun out there because it would quickly devolve and make things harder to find rather than easier, however if there is enough demand for it, it's possible. So.... This is where we'll start, with a "sticky" thread. We'll give it a period of time and see how much activity there is and how much demand truly exists for such a forum.

Note that there is no poll. We're not asking to see if you think you'd use it. This is a discussion thread, so.... DISCUSS! :) What discussions will we be moving to this forum if/when you convince us by the numbers and content that the need is there?

I look forward to seeing what discussions will arise.

Ready? Annnnnnnd..... Go!

Blessings,
    Bill
    Do we have enough interest in BP, yet, to create that sub forum?

I would post more, on it, but honestly forget to look for it, up here, many times.

Regards,
    Jason

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy

View attachment 158076

I've got my eyes on this bad boy. Any thoughts good or bad on these rifles?
    Presumably, if you've done research you know about the chain fire risks and the specific way you need to grip the rifle. Otherwise, it's just a longboi 1858. I'd be curious to put one through a chrono against a regular 1858 and see how dramatic the difference is.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Presumably, if you've done research you know about the chain fire risks and the specific way you need to grip the rifle. Otherwise, it's just a longboi 1858. I'd be curious to put one through a chrono against a regular 1858 and see how dramatic the difference is.
    No research done, I know very little about blackpowder firearms other than the uses in history. So all information you can provide would be fantastic including suggestions, and tips.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    No research done, I know very little about blackpowder firearms other than the uses in history. So all information you can provide would be fantastic including suggestions, and tips.

For safety reasons, you have to keep your hands out from around or in front of the cylinder. It requires a weird grip that might not be obvious to everyone who picks it up.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County

For safety reasons, you have to keep your hands out from around or in front of the cylinder. It requires a weird grip that might not be obvious to everyone who picks it up.

Thanks Ark for the safety lesson. I did a little research on this subject. One fellow says the reason for it is the chambers in the cylinder are not perfectly round. Which can cause chain fire. He said to have a gunsmith check the chambers and fix them if they are out of spec. You would think a modern firearm company would make a better product.
    Who makes a better revolver carbine that should help eliminate chain fire? Or is that part of black power revolvers?

Last edited:

Kurr

Expert
    May 18, 2011
    Jefferson County
    I like an over size ball, so that when I squeeze it down into the cylinder it shaves off a ring of lead I can see, that assures me the chamber is sealed and I should not have a chain fire from that end.

Edited to add: I'd like a black powder sub forum as well.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    Thanks Ark for the safety lesson. I did a little research on this subject. One fellow says the reason for it is the chambers in the cylinder are not perfectly round. Which can cause chain fire. He said to have a gunsmith check the chambers and fix them if they are out of spec. You would think a modern firearm company would make a better product.
    Who makes a better revolver carbine that should help eliminate chain fire? Or is that part of black power revolvers?

The slim possibility of chain fire is a potential risk with all cap and ball revolvers. I wouldn't worry too much about it. Run .454 balls so you get a complete or near-complete ring of lead shaved when you load. That gives you a full seal. You can do even better with lubed wads over the powder. Chain fires at the back end can be prevented with aftermarket nipples and by ensuring that you use caps that fit very snugly.

I've never had one. A chain fire typically doesn't blow the gun up and doesn't injure you unless your hands are in front of the cylinder. Without the barrel, the bullet has less than an inch to accelerate. I wouldn't worry too much about it, just keep fleshy bits out from in front of the cylinder.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    The slim possibility of chain fire is a potential risk with all cap and ball revolvers. I wouldn't worry too much about it. Run .454 balls so you get a complete or near-complete ring of lead shaved when you load. That gives you a full seal. You can do even better with lubed wads over the powder. Chain fires at the back end can be prevented with aftermarket nipples and by ensuring that you use caps that fit very snugly.

I've never had one. A chain fire typically doesn't blow the gun up and doesn't injure you unless your hands are in front of the cylinder. Without the barrel, the bullet has less than an inch to accelerate. I wouldn't worry too much about it, just keep fleshy bits out from in front of the cylinder.
    Thank you. Being new to this I'll take all the advice I can get. I've fired my dad's Traditions muzzleloader rifles. And know about hang fire I've actually experienced it a few times over many years. That was one of the things dad taught me and drilled into me. Keep it pointed until it goes off if it doesn't go off keep it pointed in a safe direction until he could get to it himself. He would pour his canteen over and still didn't trust it. He would eventually take the plug out and clean it up. I got to watch at a safe distance. So I have a healthy respect for them.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    Thank you. Being new to this I'll take all the advice I can get. I've fired my dad's Traditions muzzleloader rifles. And know about hang fire I've actually experienced it a few times over many years. That was one of the things dad taught me and drilled into me. Keep it pointed until it goes off if it doesn't go off keep it pointed in a safe direction until he could get to it himself. He would pour his canteen over and still didn't trust it. He would eventually take the plug out and clean it up. I got to watch at a safe distance. So I have a healthy respect for them.
    Yeah, I won't say that black powder guns are "unsafe", but the reality is that firearms loaded with loose propellant and ignited via a touchhole have ways they can inadvertently discharge that do not apply to sealed cartridges. Combine that with the inability to really unload them without firing, they should be treated with an extra layer of respect.

Hell, my flintlock bit me when I was taking the lock off for cleaning. Drive the razor edge of the flint right into the top of a finger right below the nail and hurt like an SOB. Like, oh, look at that, none of my other guns have a spring loaded razor blade to watch out for.

Top Bottom