• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 2in1evtime

Master
    Site Supporter
    Oct 30, 2011
    retired-midwest

View attachment 158076

I've got my eyes on this bad boy. Any thoughts good or bad on these rifles?
    Oh they are fun to shoot but don't do what another shooter did and put his hand to close to the cylinder might get some burn!! as to accuracy mine isn't bad trigger could be sweetened up if wanted.

Nazgul

Master
    Site Supporter
    Dec 2, 2012
    Near the big river.
    Yeah, I won't say that black powder guns are "unsafe", but the reality is that firearms loaded with loose propellant and ignited via a touchhole have ways they can inadvertently discharge that do not apply to sealed cartridges. Combine that with the inability to really unload them without firing, they should be treated with an extra layer of respect.

Hell, my flintlock bit me when I was taking the lock off for cleaning. Drive the razor edge of the flint right into the top of a finger right below the nail and hurt like an SOB. Like, oh, look at that, none of my other guns have a spring loaded razor blade to watch out for.
    Been there, done that. I shoot several different flintlocks and keep a hardwood piece in the cock in place of the flint. You should always keep that or an eraser of the appropriate size in the jaws. Might bend the cock if it goes off without anything there.

Keep extra flints with you so you don't get to the shooting range with a piece of wood instead of a flint......

Don

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    1632840130508.png

Well, I guess that's that for everyone who got into BP shooting because smokeless shooting costs blew through the roof. No more GOEX means zero domestic BP production and 100% reliance on imports.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    Swiss and Schuetzen. It's very good quality stuff.
    Imported in quantities to compete with Goex? For less than twice the price? In this shipping situation?

And that's assuming our boy Brandon doesn't ban all powder imports because he thinks American terrorists will fill pressure cookers and take them to school boards. :rolleyes:

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Jan 19, 2009
    Really it isn't that hard to make more powerful explosives than black powder. Stopping imports of BP would have no affect on bomb construction if somebody was wanting to make one.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    YknXUFX.jpg

addiction.jpeg

Winamac

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Sep 11, 2011
    Logansport
    Traditional BP, I usually start with 50gr and go up about 5gr increments. Seems like you find a sweet spot for that particular rifle. Some are more sensitive to powder change than others.
    This^^^^^^^ I had a Lyman Great Plains 50cal and every guy in the ML club I was in told me the above method is the best way to do it. So I did, and it worked. Mind you, per the clubs direction I swabbed the bore between every shot. Yes, it takes time but I found the "sweet spot" for my ML and I could knock the nut off a gnat at 100yards with it and it was a great way to spend a Sunday afternoon at the range.

Nazgul

Master
    Site Supporter
    Dec 2, 2012
    Near the big river.
    I find ML's a nice break from center fire shooting. Slow paced, making every shot count. I analyze the shot as I reload for the next. Striving for consistency in the reload. Firing 20-30 shots takes a while and is relaxing.

Nothing wrong with any type of shooting but a ML makes a nice shooting session.

Don

Beowulf

Master
    Site Supporter
    Mar 21, 2012
    Brownsburg
    What I find interesting is that there are now threads going back to 2008 in the Black Powder forum that didn't exist until this weekend.

Did someone just do a search of all threads with relevant subject headings and stuff them in there? Sounds like a PITA.

Top Bottom