• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jaygentry

Plinker
    Apr 23, 2018
    Noblesville
    Looking forward to reading through this. I am a rookie to black powder. Have owned one for about 5 years, but only use it for hunting. It is a CVA and is dead on at 50byards. I use the palettes for my source of powder, but have been looking to swap to grain powder. Any suggestions on this. I'm not looking to shoot all the time. But looking for something to make it more of a challenge.

MrSmitty

Master of useless information
    Jan 4, 2010
    New Albany
    I wish we could get a sub-forum for BP, inline, Traditional, pistols, revolvers...Personally I dislike inline BP guns, but that is me, I was raised shooting sidelock guns, and just consider them "real" BP guns, shot some at Friendship years ago, just re-signed up to the NMLRA...I'm hoping the spring shoot happens!!

NKBJ

at the ark
    Apr 21, 2010
    Played with concrete today and need to take a day off.
    Tomorrow will be shooting my inline, a .45 Colt break over with muzzleloaded 370 grainer.

NKBJ

at the ark
    Apr 21, 2010
    Started up with the .386 bore half stock. Using .375 ball and a .36 revolver spout for the flask.

Got a bunch of NEI 198-388 SWC plain bases molded up to use as maxis but need to order a sizer from George Gomph over at TN Bullet Molds. And need to mold up some more Ideal #386178 hollow bases to use as minies.

With the 375 ball and revolver flask it sounds about like a subsonic 22 short but makes a clean pass through on out of date spaghetti sauce.
    :)

Warwolf

Plinker
    Jun 19, 2020
    Harrison
    I’m interested in getting more into black powder, but no one in my family is which makes it a little more difficult. I was gifted a .44 revolver which is what really got me interested. Recently I’ve been looking into getting a bullet mold and some prime-all to make my own caps, does anyone know if prime-all is corrosive or not? It’s this stuff, if someone hasn’t heard of it.
    https://sharpshooter-22lr-reloader.myshopify.com/products/prime-all-repriming-compound

DangerousDave

Marksman
    Jan 3, 2014
    Cayuga
    I wish we could get a sub-forum for BP, inline, Traditional, pistols, revolvers...Personally I dislike inline BP guns, but that is me, I was raised shooting sidelock guns, and just consider them "real" BP guns, shot some at Friendship years ago, just re-signed up to the NMLRA...I'm hoping the spring shoot happens!!
    I agree 100%, I too grew up shooting sidelocks. The inlines are too modern looking for me. Used to go to Friendship religiously every year. Haven't been there for awhile now. Hope it's still a good time just like it used to be.

Ford Truck

Master
    Jan 20, 2008
    Franklin Twp., DeKalb County, Ind.
    When it comes to handguns, I rely on my Smith & Wesson Mod. 66 revolvers but the Remington style replica .44 percussion revolvers really turn my crank & start my engine. Currently saving nickels & dimes for a 12", stainless steel with adjustable sights for hunting & plinking. I'll get 2 extra percussion cylinders & 2 .45 Long Colt cylinders for it as well.

dereedy

Plinker
    Apr 11, 2013
    I've only been to Friendship once but it was a lot of fun and I need to get reconnected with those folks. I'd like to find a black powder instructor and maybe set up a private class. I enjoy shooting black powder and I think I'd enjoy it more if my skills & knowledge were better.

dereedy

Plinker
    Apr 11, 2013
    Is there a particular manufacturer of Remington style replica .44 revolves that you have your eye on? I might be in the market for one myself.

drbob93

Shooter
    Apr 19, 2009
    South Central Indiana
    I agree 100%, I too grew up shooting sidelocks. The inlines are too modern looking for me. Used to go to Friendship religiously every year. Haven't been there for awhile now. Hope it's still a good time just like it used to be.

I will probably offend a lot of people, but comparatively how much skill does it take to hit a target at 100 yards with a rifle using a plastic sabot containing a modern jacketed bullet, with what is essentially a modern smokeless powder, using a scope with a built in laser range finder. I have no objection to a modern traditional bow or crossbow as long as it doesn't sport a scope and a bunch of cams to make it easier.

Restroyer

Expert
    May 13, 2015
    SE Indiana
    I will probably offend a lot of people, but comparatively how much skill does it take to hit a target at 100 yards with a rifle using a plastic sabot containing a modern jacketed bullet, with what is essentially a modern smokeless powder, using a scope with a built in laser range finder. I have no objection to a modern traditional bow or crossbow as long as it doesn't sport a scope and a bunch of cams to make it easier.

At 15 posts you want to insult fellow gun owners. Not a good start. Who cares what you think about inline muzzle loaders? I like all types be it modern or old percussion or flint locks. To each his own. Comment on what you like and try not to be an a$$ and insult people who like something different!

yetti462

Master
    May 18, 2016
    Unglaciated heaven
    At 15 posts you want to insult fellow gun owners. Not a good start. Who cares what you think about inline muzzle loaders? I like all types be it modern or old percussion or flint locks. To each his own. Comment on what you like and try not to be an a$$ and insult people who like something different!

+1 well said

Top Bottom