• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    I didn't really take drbob's comments as insulting. Different folks have different preferences. I own a lovely CVA Accura, and it's dead nuts at 200 yards. I love it. And I get emails from them a couple of times a week from them on their latest toys. Cool stuff. But my heart belongs to flint. Shoot one a few times and you'll probably know why.

rotag84

Plinker
    Jul 31, 2010
    Hamilton County
    I didn't really take drbob's comments as insulting. Different folks have different preferences. I own a lovely CVA Accura, and it's dead nuts at 200 yards. I love it. And I get emails from them a couple of times a week from them on their latest toys. Cool stuff. But my heart belongs to flint. Shoot one a few times and you'll probably know why.

Yup. I have an original Knight inline from the 1990's and a percussion from a Cabella's kit but this Kentucky/Penn style flinty is my favorite!

IMG_20201120_160154.jpg

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Trying to find #11 percussion caps for my rifles no one seems to have them. Does anyone know of someone who carries these in SE Indiana?

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    Can anyone point me to somewhere in the Bloomington-Columbus-Greenwood area that might have FFG black powder and priming powder? I dunno if it's been hit like reloading supplies have been hit. Would prefer the real thing over pyrodex but I'll take that if I can find it.

dennismassie

Plinker
    Dec 20, 2020
    West Lafayette
    It's come to the mods' attention that there may be enough demand to warrant the creation of a new subforum for muzzle loaders/black powder firearms. We don't want to create a new area for every specific type of gun out there because it would quickly devolve and make things harder to find rather than easier, however if there is enough demand for it, it's possible. So.... This is where we'll start, with a "sticky" thread. We'll give it a period of time and see how much activity there is and how much demand truly exists for such a forum.

Note that there is no poll. We're not asking to see if you think you'd use it. This is a discussion thread, so.... DISCUSS! :) What discussions will we be moving to this forum if/when you convince us by the numbers and content that the need is there?

I look forward to seeing what discussions will arise.

Ready? Annnnnnnd..... Go!

Blessings,
    Bill
    I'm in!!

dennismassie

Plinker
    Dec 20, 2020
    West Lafayette
    What is a good starting muzzleloader. nothing to expensive. id like to stay under 250 if possible. with some ammo

let me know
    thansk
    It would depend upon what you plan to use it for. If strictly for hunting, then look for a good used Thompson Center Hawken or Renegade. If more historical accuracy is wanted, then Cabelas/Bass Pro has some good entry-level caplocks and flintlocks.. But, finding anything in that category will me much more than $250.

jaymark6655

Plinker
    Jul 2, 2018
    Bloomington
    Trying to find #11 percussion caps for my rifles no one seems to have them. Does anyone know of someone who carries these in SE Indiana?
    I have been having the same problem. Almost out of caps. I am thinking about building a flint lock so I don't have to worry so much if I run out. If I find any, will definitely post it.

jaymark6655

Plinker
    Jul 2, 2018
    Bloomington
    I'm down to 5 total. Nobody has them in stock. Might have to buy a muzzleloader that uses the 209 primers.
    I had a couple friends tell me they couldn't find 209 primers, that starting me thinking about flintlocks. I passed the shortage off as strictly deer season related, but am having a hard time selling myself on that.

JHB

Sharpshooter
    Oct 7, 2016
    Columbus
    I had a couple friends tell me they couldn't find 209 primers, that starting me thinking about flintlocks. I passed the shortage off as strictly deer season related, but am having a hard time selling myself on that.
    I have to agree molds are not easy to find ether round ball or mini ball. I also see a lot of places are low or out of flints.

clelaj

Sharpshooter
    Feb 2, 2009
    Indy - North
    An old guy here new to black powder. INGO was great source when I started reloading wit 38/357/44. And I look here again now for black powder experience, building my own flintlock, where to find caps and powder, etc.

Top Bottom