• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Butch627

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 3, 2012
    NWI
    I have like 6 seed feeders out over the winter, less in summer when the hummingbird feeders come out. Primarily for my elderly moms amusement. There must be 10 different kinds of seed where I shop and I probably have 5 different kinds of seed. Most of the seed looks pretty much the same, how fussy are these birds about what they will or will not eat? Is there one or two "blends" that will make all of them happy? I am in the south end of Lake County.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    I have like 6 seed feeders out over the winter, less in summer when the hummingbird feeders come out. Primarily for my elderly moms amusement. There must be 10 different kinds of seed where I shop and I probably have 5 different kinds of seed. Most of the seed looks pretty much the same, how fussy are these birds about what they will or will not eat? Is there one or two "blends" that will make all of them happy? I am in the south end of Lake County.
    No they're not that picky, at least the around here.
    I use this and buy a bag of safflower seed and mix it in. We have everything from finches, doves, cardinals, bluejays, titmouse, nuthatch, chickadee, cowbirds, mice, squirrel and even a flicker that shows up pretty regularly.

We also put out some peanut butter suet for the woodpeckers.

IMG_20230212_101336_743.jpg

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    I feed nothing but black oil sunflower seeds.
    Then again I feed the chickadee's and nuthatches by hand(and feeder).
    It is what they like.
    I have plenty of other birds that come and seem to like it as well.

It has another bonus. Doves will not eat it. Sadly neither will bunting's but I have no mess to clean up either(millet and milo all over).

The downside is cost. It certainly costs more.

DCR

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 6, 2009
    I only put out safflower seeds in the winter and only when it snows. Cardinals love 'em, most other birds don't. Squirrels won't touch them. The cardinals know when it snows they can get seed at my house. I once "counted" 35 of them at my feeder.
    I put out suet feeders and the raccoons took them down and hauled them away.

STEEL CORE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Fishers
    I get a giant bag from RK or Ft. Harrison commissary and put a cup in a feeder in the front yard.
    Mostly Sparrows, some Cardinals, but yes they do scatter it looking for what they want.
    However, Doves and late comers get the ground stuff.
    Squirrel better get its nuts before the Jays see them.
    RK has unsalted human peanuts at $5.99 a bag, or $10.99 a bag if its in the bird section.
    If its good enough for me, my skinny squirrel is getting the $5.99 stuff.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    We discovered our cardinals just dont like feeders. Wife couldnt figure out why we didnt have any. So I researched and it LOOKED like we were putting out the wrong blend. So we bought some sunflower/safflower mix for them.Still hardly any at the feeders. Theyd come and land on the rail, but typically wouldnt feed much.

Then one day the cats were going nuts running from the back door that leads to the elevated deck where the feeder is, and our bedroom. (also on the back wall)

When we went to see what they were looking at, there were a dozen cardinals on the ground under the feeder foraging through what was dropped. Turns out the just dont like any of the 3 types of feeders we put out. They have been there all along, we just couldnt see them from the back door.

pute62

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 29, 2009
    Lawrence
    I've bought bird seed from Rural King this last summer and the birds liked one blend over the other. I think our hood birds have different taste buds but them and the squirrels like cheap peanuts from Walmart and sunflower seeds. I feed it on the ground, it's up to them if they eat it or not.

Last edited:

Flingarrows

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 9, 2019
    Greenwood
    Our birds like the black oil sunflower seeds; that is typically all we use. I no longer buy any seeds blends since the birds usually go for the sunflower seeds and the rest of the blend ends up on the ground. ;) If you have a finch feeder with the small feeding holes you can fill those with nyjer seed aka thistle.

Same here

crewchief888

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 13, 2016
    NWI
    There's a bird seed place In Highland. Rt41& 45th st, SW corner. Owner is knowledgeable and very helpful

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    I just put cracked corn in mine so far all the birds you guys listed are there and I haven’t received a complaint yet.

Bzikot

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2022
    Allen County
    Blackoil sunflower seeds really do great for me, I also put out some of the different blends I purchase from my local AG Plus, the really have some good blends

Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Nov 2, 2017
    LaPaz Junction
    I buy 5 Grain Scratch mix from TSC. I feed the flying squirrels at dark and they kick the cracked corn out that feeds the rabbits. Come morning, the fox squirrels and the birds get what is left. Several times a year I clean under the feeder and that feeds the worms in my worm bed. Win Win

Willie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    Warrick County
    I feed strictly Black Oil Sunflower seeds in the main feeder. Another feeder is a small hole Finch feeder and it is stocked with Niger/thistle seed. I have two seed cake holders hanging off the main feeder for woodpeckers. Its baffled so squirrels and coons cant get to it. We get a few of the Pileated woodpeckers. They make short work of the seed cakes. I buy it all at Rural King. Like everything else the cost is sky rocketing.. but we do like our birds.

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    I feed strictly Black Oil Sunflower seeds in the main feeder. Another feeder is a small hole Finch feeder and it is stocked with Niger/thistle seed. I have two seed cake holders hanging off the main feeder for woodpeckers. Its baffled so squirrels and coons cant get to it. We get a few of the Pileated woodpeckers. They make short work of the seed cakes. I buy it all at Rural King. Like everything else the cost is sky rocketing.. but we do like our birds.
    I wish I could get a pileated. Got a couple running around in the woods but they won't come in to the feeders. Get plenty of flickers and downys but none of the big boys.

KJW

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Lamb's Crossing
    Black oil sunflower is the only seed I use and it attracts every bird that will visit a feeder. I also use suet cakes. I've tried all the other seeds and seed blends, and as others have said, it doesn't get eaten and ends up on the ground. A 40 lb bag has gone up from under $16 a year ago to $26 last week. As much as I enjoy watching the birds, they may have to get more calories somewhere else soon.

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    Black oil sunflower is the only seed I use and it attracts every bird that will visit a feeder. I also use suet cakes. I've tried all the other seeds and seed blends, and as others have said, it doesn't get eaten and ends up on the ground. A 40 lb bag has gone up from under $16 a year ago to $26 last week. As much as I enjoy watching the birds, they may have to get more calories somewhere else soon.
    Cracked corn is only $12 for 50#

Top Bottom