Biggest users of ER is? Not who you think!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Here is a snippet from the article. Look at the item in red. Now that is a suprise. The article goes on to say that the ER wait time is going to be longer now and provided some reasons why.

Emergency rooms, the only choice for patients who can't find care elsewhere, may grow even more crowded with longer wait times under the nation's new health law.

That might come as a surprise to those who thought getting 32 million more people covered by health insurance would ease ER crowding. It would seem these patients would be able to get routine health care by visiting a doctor's office, as most of the insured do.

But it's not that simple. Consider:

_There's already a shortage of front-line family physicians in some places and experts think that will get worse.

_People without insurance aren't the ones filling up the nation's emergency rooms. Far from it. The uninsured are no more likely to use ERs than people with private insurance, perhaps because they're wary of huge bills.

_The biggest users of emergency rooms by far are Medicaid recipients. And the new health insurance law will increase their ranks by about 16 million. Medicaid is the state and federal program for low-income families and the disabled. And many family doctors limit the number of Medicaid patients they take because of low government reimbursements.

--More @ the source--
    Health overhaul may mean longer ER waits, crowding - Yahoo! News-

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    Not surprising at all.

Very few people take the time to find a doctor or a clinic. The ER is their one stop shop for all things medical.

Even people with good health insurance don't have a doctor. Here at work, people are constantly moving and when they do, finding a doctor isn't the #1 priority on their list of things to do.

chraland51

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 31, 2009
    Camby Area
    My son, the paramedic/fireman has to give many a medicaid patient a ride to the emergency room because that is what they demand and he can not refuse such demands even when he knows that such a ride is not necessary and that they are simply abusing the system to get something for nothing at taxpayer expense. My second ex used to tell me that the pushiest and most demanding people coming in to her emergency room were the medicaid recipients who were there for very minor injuries or other health problems. I can not wait for bammercare to fully kick in. I fully expect the waiting rooms of my doctors offices to look like something out of the movies after a major disaster has struck. Just my two cents.

homeless

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    indy
    My son, the paramedic/fireman has to give many a medicaid patient a ride to the emergency room because that is what they demand and he can not refuse such demands even when he knows that such a ride is not necessary and that they are simply abusing the system to get something for nothing at taxpayer expense. My second ex used to tell me that the pushiest and most demanding people coming in to her emergency room were the medicaid recipients who were there for very minor injuries or other health problems. I can not wait for bammercare to fully kick in. I fully expect the waiting rooms of my doctors offices to look like something out of the movies after a major disaster has struck. Just my two cents.

And this is why despite my certifications, training, and experience I am not an EMT.

radonc73

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2010
    Lowell
    Don't forget the free drugs that they get. But don't worry some will be back after they sell them and need more crack money. They are called frequent fliers, some call 911 and report chest pains b/c they are lonely, you didn't really need that money for your family did you?

AuntieBellum

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    Rensselaer
    Yeah, I kinda already figured who overuses the ER the most. I have a sister who's on Medicaid, as is her son, and since she doesn't drive the ER is the place to go. Unless, that is, she makes my mom miss a full day's work to take her to the doctor, which she does, too. :xmad:

Oh, yeah, and my parents let her live in their home for free, as well as her son (although she does have some food stamps to contribute - although my dad refuses, and rightfully so, to be seen with her in town while she uses them).

Top Bottom