• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jbdhere

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    Floyd County
    This message was sent to me from AVG to my Facebook wall.
    Check out the link.

The world's 5th largest defense contractor has created software that is capable of tracking your movements and predicting future behavior based on data aggregated from various social networks and websites! Software that tracks people on social media created by defence firm | World news | The Guardian

Gathering this data is legal in most countries, and doesn't necessarily require a warrant. As always, be careful what and how much you share about yourself online!:ar15:https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/images/smilies/AR15firing.gif

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Oh. My. God.

They are going to know that it is highly likely that I will BBQ something in the near future. They will also know that I will drink some bourbon, shoot some guns and argue with people on the internet in defense of my profession.

I'm doomed!!!

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Oh. My. God.

They are going to know that it is highly likely that I will BBQ something in the near future. They will also know that I will drink some bourbon, shoot some guns and argue with people on the internet in defense of my profession.

I'm doomed!!!

You're laughing, but there have been efforts to outlaw the use of charcoal. No recent examples come to mind, but I do recall it happening.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    Of course charcoal needs to be outlawed. It causes moss to grow on the wrong side of trees causing people who are lost in the Sudan to to go all the way to Morocco Indiana to get a drink of watter.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2012
    Avon
    You don't think they have not been using word recondition on the internet, phones...I would bet they been doing that for years.

CTS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    Patterning and behavior prediction have existed for ages, they're just using some new tools to do it. It's a big part of advertising. This story broke around the beginning of 2012:

How Target Figured Out A Teen Girl Was Pregnant Before Her Father Did - Forbes

“My daughter got this in the mail!” he said. “She’s still in high school, and you’re sending her coupons for baby clothes and cribs? Are you trying to encourage her to get pregnant?”

The manager didn’t have any idea what the man was talking about. He looked at the mailer. Sure enough, it was addressed to the man’s daughter and contained advertisements for maternity clothing, nursery furniture and pictures of smiling infants. The manager apologized and then called a few days later to apologize again.

On the phone, though, the father was somewhat abashed. “I had a talk with my daughter,” he said. “It turns out there’s been some activities in my house I haven’t been completely aware of. She’s due in August. I owe you an apology.”

Top Bottom