• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Redemption

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 6, 2009
    I was at a local sporting goods store last night while waiting for a seat at a nearby restaurant. We will call it Cock's sporting goods. Anyway, I went over to the gun section and was looking around when a sign on the wall caught my attention. It said "Cock's sporting goods 225 will not sell R-15 or R-25's to non-Indiana residents."
    My interest piqued, I asked the guy behind the counter what the deal was with the sign. I know we IN folks can buy long guns from states that touch our borders and assume we are reciprocal as well. He said " It is an Indiana law, Indiana has some funny gun laws." I told him, no, this is a Cock's rule not an Indiana rule as it is a rifle the same as any of the bolt action rifles or shotguns on the wall next to them. He said no, it is IN law. I said surely he had the IC code explaining this and asked if he could show it to me. Another customer walked up and he asked if he could help them. He obviously didn't want to talk about it anymore.

IC 35-47-5-6
    Purchasing or obtaining a rifle or shotgun
    Sec. 6. (a) Any resident of Indiana:
    (1) who is eighteen (18) years of age or older; and
    (2) who is not prohibited by law from obtaining, possessing, or using a firearm;
    may purchase or obtain a rifle or shotgun in Ohio, Kentucky, Michigan, or Illinois.
    (b) Any resident of Ohio, Kentucky, Michigan, or Illinois:
    (1) who is eighteen (18) years of age or older; and (2) who is not prohibited by the laws of Indiana, his domicile, or the United States from obtaining, possessing, or using a firearm;
    may purchase or obtain a rifle, shotgun, or ammunition for a rifle or a shotgun in Indiana.
    (c) Any transaction under this section is subject to the provisions of the Gun Control Act of 1968 (82 Stat. 1213, 18 U.S.C. 0.922(B)(3)).

Why not just say it is a Cock's rule, and admit it is stupid? Why **** on our backs and tell us it's raining?

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    I'm lost. What's the problem?

Are you out of state right now and Dick's won't sell you a rifle? Or, are you in Indiana and a friend from Ohio wants to buy a gun?

Are you just arguing with a misinformed clerk?

Remember, Dick's is based in Pennsylvania. Often the chain will use the laws of its home state in other states.*

*See Kirk's First Law of the Internet

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    I was at a local sporting goods store last night while waiting for a seat at a nearby restaurant. We will call it Cock's sporting goods. Anyway, I went over to the gun section and was looking around when a sign on the wall caught my attention. It said "Cock's sporting goods 225 will not sell R-15 or R-25's to non-Indiana residents."
    My interest piqued, I asked the guy behind the counter what the deal was with the sign. I know we IN folks can buy long guns from states that touch our borders and assume we are reciprocal as well. He said " It is an Indiana law, Indiana has some funny gun laws." I told him, no, this is a Cock's rule not an Indiana rule as it is a rifle the same as any of the bolt action rifles or shotguns on the wall next to them. He said no, it is IN law. I said surely he had the IC code explaining this and asked if he could show it to me. Another customer walked up and he asked if he could help them. He obviously didn't want to talk about it anymore.

IC 35-47-5-6
    Purchasing or obtaining a rifle or shotgun
    Sec. 6. (a) Any resident of Indiana:
    (1) who is eighteen (18) years of age or older; and
    (2) who is not prohibited by law from obtaining, possessing, or using a firearm;
    may purchase or obtain a rifle or shotgun in Ohio, Kentucky, Michigan, or Illinois.
    (b) Any resident of Ohio, Kentucky, Michigan, or Illinois:
    (1) who is eighteen (18) years of age or older; and (2) who is not prohibited by the laws of Indiana, his domicile, or the United States from obtaining, possessing, or using a firearm;
    may purchase or obtain a rifle, shotgun, or ammunition for a rifle or a shotgun in Indiana.
    (c) Any transaction under this section is subject to the provisions of the Gun Control Act of 1968 (82 Stat. 1213, 18 U.S.C. 0.922(B)(3)).

Why not just say it is a Cock's rule, and admit it is stupid? Why **** on our backs and tell us it's raining?

Why not? Most likely because that's exactly what the clerk in question was told and he didn't know they had told him something that was not true.

That'd be my guess.
    Never attribute to malice what can be as easily attributed to ignorance.

Blessings,
    Bill

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    It's a shame, but places like Cock's will have people that work there knowing that it's a temporary gig and the skills and knowledge that should be present at the firearms department are secondary to youthful sales banter.

Sorry for the run-on sentence. My brain feels really weird today.

Redemption

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 6, 2009
    I'm lost. What's the problem?
    The problem is that they will not sell an evil looking rifle, well, gay camo looking.... to someone who might lawfully be able to purchase it and then say it is because of Indiana law, when it's not. That doesn't bother anyone?
    If the guy had said it was store policy because we are uncomfortable selling them in the first place, I would have said Oh, ok.....I see. But I know the only reason they won't is because it looks like an AR and AR= bad.

Anytime I see gun rights trampled for any reason I make a point to comment to those doing it. If you are fine with it, belly up by all means, but I'm not.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    10°17'42.48"N 85°5
    It's a shame, but places like Cock's will have people that work there knowing that it's a temporary gig and the skills and knowledge that should be present at the firearms department are secondary to youthful sales banter.

Sorry for the run-on sentence. My brain feels really weird today.

I agree. I went to the "peckers" in Bloomington. They had a killer deal on 10/22's with a coupon. I have my FFL and they refused to do a dealer to dealer transaction. The guy looked at me like I had a third eye. He insisted on my filling out a 4473. I refused and they lost a sale.

rjstew317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 13, 2010
    Fishers
    The problem is that they will not sell an evil looking rifle, well, gay camo looking.... to someone who might lawfully be able to purchase it and then say it is because of Indiana law, when it's not. That doesn't bother anyone?
    If the guy had said it was store policy because we are uncomfortable selling them in the first place, I would have said Oh, ok.....I see. But I know the only reason they won't is because it looks like an AR and AR= bad.

Anytime I see gun rights trampled for any reason I make a point to comment to those doing it. If you are fine with it, belly up by all means, but I'm not.
    as a private business don't they have a right to choose how they do business? as i see it, this practice can only hurt their business, but it is still their choice to make. my:twocents:

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Tampa, FL
    If it's any consolation, the Cock's in Orland Park, Illinois had an agreement with the city to be able to sell guns there before they built their store. After they invested millions into building the store, Orland Park reneged on the deal and won't let them sell gun now that they're built and stuck there.

Play the big fish game and there's always a bigger fish out there that will one day bite you.

Redemption

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 6, 2009
    as a private business don't they have a right to choose how they do business? as i see it, this practice can only hurt their business, but it is still their choice to make. my:twocents:

True dat. But the point is, he said it was the law..........never mind.:rolleyes:

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    to someone who might lawfully be able to purchase it and then say it is because of Indiana law, when it's not. That doesn't bother anyone?

:D

No does not bother me. It is the gun culture in action. Maybe I just have been around it more. Afterall I have Kirk's First Law of the Internet named after me.

Redem, can I ask how long you have been into guns? The law is a gun dealer's cut out . . . always.:D

There is the bait and switch gambit:

"I want a _______. Sir, those are illegal, but I can sell you _______."

This was big when I was at Galyan's. Guys would want AR-15s, but the department head would tell them that they were "just banned" but we could sell him a Mini-14 on the shelf.

There's the "I don't want to get off my stool" gambit:

Guys walks in and wants a ________. Sir, those are illegal so I cannot look for one.

Guy walks in, is an FFL holder. Clerk is trained to fill out 4473 for EVERYONE. He's not going to make the call and get a copy of HGC's FFL; he IS going to sit on his stool and tell HGC that it is "highly illegal" not to fill out a 4473.

There's the "give me the money now" gambit:

Guys walks in and sees, say, a Ruger Blackhawk in .32, jumps up and down but only has half the money. Payday is Friday. Guy wants to give you half of the money now and rest on Friday and pick up gun and fill out 4473.

"No, sir, it's highly illegal for me to take the money, we need all the money right now."

(Heard that one at Galyan's too and yes it was a Ruger .32).

Stick around, Redem, you'll hear them all. Sloth, greed, it all gets blamed on something "highly illegal" or "weird laws in Indiana."

Redemption

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 6, 2009
    :D

Redem, can I ask how long you have been into guns? The law is a gun dealer's cut out . . . always.:D
    ...25 years
    frellingsmilies.gif
    ......... and yes I have heard a lot of whoppers. I call ever single one out now,...... after the BS train from 1994-2004 rolled through, I had my fill, so I now spit it out when it is fed to me.
    amenw.gif

......on an aside, parts guns are where the real BS gets shoveled.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Parts gun?

You can't have a parts gun! They are highly illegal.

However, I can sell you this brand new Les Baer AR that I just happen to have on the shelf.:D

after the BS train from 1994-2004 rolled through, I had my fill, so I now spit it out when it is fed to me

My favorite was the "Closed Magazine" BS of 1989 when gun dealers started telling us that Mini-14s, ARs, M14s were all going to have the designator "CM" for closed magazines (like Garands) as detachable magazines were all secretly banned by Bush.

Redemption

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 6, 2009
    I had a guy tell me one time that it is illegal to put together an AR with non same manufacturers upper and lower....he couldn't tell me why though. I remember a few "secret bans" I never new when they went into affect because they were secret.:dunno:

Top Bottom