Biden tells Chuck Schumer to 'go ahead' with calls for $50,000 in student-debt cancellation

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    This is a perennial football the Democrats hold in front of younger, ignorant people and then pull away when they kick. It's never actually going to happen.

rooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Indianapolis
    College used to be free pre WW2(funded by land grants) , then was cheap post WW2 until the federal government started backing student loans.

CPI (inflation) was 238% from 1980 to 2020 but college went up 1200%.

too bad for millennials and Gen z. Guess they should just all go live on welfare or get a trade. If they wanted to go to college they should have been born in the 60’s.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    too bad for millennials and Gen z. Guess they should just all go live on welfare or get a trade. If they wanted to go to college they should have been born in the 60’s.
    Or someone should have taught them to live within their means. Go to a school that only costs you instate tuition, go to a small, less expensive school that offers transfer credits for the first year or two. Apply yourself in high school and qualify for some scholarships. Go ROTC

If you want it bad enough it can be done

rooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Or someone should have taught them to live within their means. Go to a school that only costs you instate tuition, go to a small, less expensive school that offers transfer credits for the first year or two. Apply yourself in high school and qualify for some scholarships. Go ROTC

If you want it bad enough it can be done
    Did all that and more. Still cost almost 30k in student loans above and beyond what I managed to pay for with the army, an RA job during freshman, sophomore year, odd jobs during breaks and then working full time my last 45 credits.

ya it’s possible to bring the cost down but even a 4 year state schools costs upwards of 80k now.

gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central
    Did all that and more. Still cost almost 30k in student loans above and beyond what I managed to pay for with the army, an RA job during freshman, sophomore year, odd jobs during breaks and then working full time my last 45 credits.

ya it’s possible to bring the cost down but even a 4 year state schools costs upwards of 80k now.
    There`s ways to feel the pain less, or, there`s trade school, or, there are employers who allow you to work up through the ranks and offer free training on the job. Moral of the story is, if someone takes out a loan, THEY are responsible for paying it back, NOT strangers who are working hard trying to raise and support their OWN families.

oze

Mow Ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 26, 2018
    Fort Wayne

An RA as an underclassman? Wow, you must be really special.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    This has been a "crisis" (of stupidity and poor character) for decades.

Yet all the people in the student loan business continue to beg people to borrow more money. That is at least as serious of problem as the irresponsible recipients.

A girl in the family ran up school debts for 4 years and cannot find work. The College is helping her to return to get her Masters Degree, and the money is already approved. I think the Senate needs to shut the money off before they decide to forward the bill to us.

Without the easy money, a whole lot of unmarketable study programs will dry up.

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    Let me see, my daughter not only received money from me as a concerned parent to let her know that her education was number one and not to worry about paying, but managed to earned her way through college with grants and scholarships, graduating with no debt. So if Biden wants to pay students for taking out loans, then I want a refund of monies I spent making sure that as a good and concerned parent my daughter got an education without worrying about where the money came from.

Sorry kiddies, if you can't pay your debts, learn how to pay your debts because tax payers should not have to pay for any student not directly related to them!!!!!
    The first year of college for my oldest was completely paid for thru her hard work. Grants, scholorships, anything she and her mother could find to help.

We were so proud and happy we bought her a new car, It was cheaper than the cost of college.

Both my kids did well earning money that was there for the taking. Graduating early. Being smart.

My youngest has gone on to get her Master's degree, and still owes nothing.

Maybe both of them should have taken out student loans. Would have been easier on them and with a 50k payout as well.

I am actually happy that they did it the way they did. Budding careers, no student debt and a feeling of self accomplishment.

The number of friends and associates of theirs that are still paying off student loans is amazing to all of us.

maxipum

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Feb 6, 2012
    Bloomington

Don’t care, your choice your reward. Did it not work out? Refer to phylodogs post above. I did not go to college( not for long anyway) I instead knocked up my girlfriend and quickly realized I needed a paycheck to raise my son and provide for my family. Started at the bottom and worked my way up. I’m a bridge builder and I make a good living. I owe nothing to people who make crappy Choices. I made it with no help none!! Personal responsibility live it love it or not. I ate my poop sandwich because I was the one who made it. I will not help you with yours.

maxipum

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Feb 6, 2012
    Bloomington

Though I quoted your post I don’t mean you specifically. Sometimes when trying to make a point I get excited. Not trying to be a Richard.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    The first year of college for my oldest was completely paid for thru her hard work. Grants, scholorships, anything she and her mother could find to help.

We were so proud and happy we bought her a new car, It was cheaper than the cost of college.

Both my kids did well earning money that was there for the taking. Graduating early. Being smart.

My youngest has gone on to get her Master's degree, and still owes nothing.

Maybe both of them should have taken out student loans. Would have been easier on them and with a 50k payout as well.

I am actually happy that they did it the way they did. Budding careers, no student debt and a feeling of self accomplishment.

The number of friends and associates of theirs that are still paying off student loans is amazing to all of us.
    Sounds like you did a fine job raising productive citizens. Congrats and thank you.

grillak

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 22, 2021
    Indianapolis
    Feel like a sucker for working my ass off to pay all my wife's off. :xmad:
    no...you should feel like a responsible man.

i personally know a few people who signed up for the online colleges just to get free money. the schools would do all the paperwork. the check would go to the school where they would take their cut and send the rest to the "student". 3-4k a semester.

these "students" partied their @**es off. they had a guy they'd give $500 a semester to do the coursework.

now they're crying about having to pay it back. i don't feel sorry for them. and it's not fair for the responsible people to be forced to pay their debt.

when i went to school i took advantage of grants and scholarships as well. i also worked and paid as i went. when i graduated i owed less than $200. i'm currently furthering my education on MY dime.

grillak

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 22, 2021
    Indianapolis
    a lot of these kids were sold a dream.

"the only way to be successful is with a degree"

now we have too many degreed people and not enough jobs that actually need a degree.

i know one person that earned a master's and the only job she was offered paid $12/hr. i made more than her as a janitor. she had $180k in loans. i had $0 in debt.

some education.

04FXSTS

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2010
    Eugene
    My wife got her RN then went back and got her Masters and did it with no loans. She worked as much as possible and I was working a good job also. We had no extra money during this time but seeing her with a diploma and no debt was worth a few years of no money. Jim.

grillak

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 22, 2021
    Indianapolis
    My wife got her RN then went back and got her Masters and did it with no loans. She worked as much as possible and I was working a good job also. We had no extra money during this time but seeing her with a diploma and no debt was worth a few years of no money. Jim.
    back when i was unfortunate enough to be married...i paid for my wife's degree. the "counselor" tried to twist her arm to take out a loan. i paid with a cashier's check. every semester. best move marriage-wise i could have made.

too bad she didn't learn anything.

Top Bottom