• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 574mag

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 20, 2022
    Osceola IN
    I have always been taught that speed kills! But, there is something said for a heavier bullet carrying that energy down range. I vote for faster myself.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Getting there quick helps when yardage isn't perfect.
    But (IMHO) you still want enough smack when it gets there.

Have no desire to even try the 55gr in my .243win.

574mag

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 20, 2022
    Osceola IN
    I’m getting a 223 bolt gun next. The deciding factor is I already load for that and I dont care to add another calibre at this time! I was thinking about loading some tangible bullets to help minimize ricochets. This will be for woodchucks for the most part. I wouldn’t use that for coyotes. I also trap, so I keep the coyotes coons possums and skunks pretty well in check on the farm. Not so much the ground hogs!

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I almost hate to speak of it, risking bringing bad karma for the future.

.243 was the first rifle cartridge I ever loaded. I done a pretty fair amount of research, a lot right here on INGO. (I need to look at least one INGO thread back up.)

I put together a ladder of .243 loads to test and went to the range. Of the two bullets I loaded for, each had a load that shot a half inch group at 100 yards. (First 1/2" groups I have ever shot in my life.)

Found the 6-7 year old thread about .243 loading.

Nate was extremely helpful back then, as he is in this thread.

:ingo:

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I too think barrel life an overblown subject.
    If one has worn out a barrel they've spent a fair chunk of money in doing it.
    So just get the thing rebarreled.
    Living life costs a few bucks.
    Don't be such a tightwad.

Ive had several .243 rifles and all shot decent, some very well.
    But I ran 70-100gr bullets. All "standard" construction.

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    I for one don’t shoot enough to burn out a barrel, but if I did somehow and liked the gun. I’d replace it. So that’s not a concern for me. At least for now.

Good man.

Shoot whatever you want...even extremely overbore .22 rifles are going to be good for quite a lot of varminting, as long as you don't trend into string firing.

.22-243 on a dog town is a bad idea, but around here... meh.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I for one don’t shoot enough to burn out a barrel, but if I did somehow and liked the gun. I’d replace it. So that’s not a concern for me. At least for now.
    That's the nice thing about AR rifles is the easy replacement of parts including the barrel.
    You can buy quality barrels like Shaw, and several other brands fairly decent priced especially on sale, and get more accuracy from them than your standard mil spec barrel, or mid grade barrels.
    That said you can get some inexpensive barrels that will shoot sub moa as well. Like most barrels you just have to find the load/ammo it likes.

cratz2

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 25, 2023
    Central, IN
    Fifteen years ago, I'd say the 243. These days, I'd go 6mm Creedmoor.

I've taken more Coyotes with lighter loaded 270s than any thing else.

cratz2

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 25, 2023
    Central, IN
    Nothing much... it's just what I'd go for these days.

If I had a perfectly good 243, I'd be unlikely to replace it with a 6mm Creed but I sold my 243 in about 2005 so... I bought a CZ in 6mm.

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    Sub 300 yd what does a 6mm CM get you over a .243 Win?

A teensy thicker web, in theory. More than likely, the better brass manufacturers are probably building their casings ALL to 65-70,000 PSI spec, but the 6 Creed is rated to 62,000, which is slightly higher than 243 at 60,000.

Main thing is that the Creedmoor is a legitimately better neck/shoulder design, drawing from the experience of Benchrest, Long Range, European work, and internal ballistics research that hadn't been done yet, in 1955.

Lots has happened in 70 years and very little has been accomplished at the foot of casing design; most real advancements have come from powder and bullet technology.

That being said, the small changes that HAVE realized success were, and are, meaningful.

Ballistically, the heavy-bullet .243 Custom, with handloads, is basically a wash at any normal range, compared to the 6 Creed. Put both in 30" tubes, and I'd bet .243 wo

Thing is--for users of FACTORY ammo--the Creed, x47 Lapua, ARC, GT, and other cutting-edge chamber designs are a lot better at long range precision because they have been built from the stamp up to use long, heavy bullets seated out of the powder column. 30-degree shoulders and good factory brass means no donuts, either.

Can I reform .308 Palma into 6mm Super, stick it in an equivalent rifle, and beat the snot out of 6 Creed?

Sure.

But not as easily as a guy opening a box he just picked up at Galyans, shucking a few into the mag, and going hunting.

Top Bottom