• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    Any shotgun that you have until you see that you like it. I've shot with my 500, not as fancy as other guys stuff, but it definitely works if you want to have fun :)

tallend

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    I have 75,000 ("registered with the ATA")trap targets------I have tried MANY makes of shotguns over 30 years of shooting trap--------I still have my TM-1 Perazzi---but--my first "trapgun",and still my favorite is a Remington 1100

0.02 tallend

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    Two main requirements:

1. Long

2. Heavy

To answer further, you might need to define what your bank size is. To some folks, a BT99 might break the bank...to others, a Rem. 870 seems too costly. Your 500 will work, especially if it has a 28" barrel or longer. Maybe add a bit of lead in the stock bolt hole to soften recoil and give it a shot.

tallend

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    If I may add----------- there are 3 types of trap---singles(shot from the16yd line) handicap (from 20 to 27yds) and doubles (2 targets at a time) from the 16 yd line---so,if you think you might want to really get involved in trapshooting---you will need a gun that is capable of two quick shots.
    Indiana Gun Club has loaner guns---------talk to them, they are usually very helpful

tallend

geno2k

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 23, 2011
    Something with a killer recoil pad. I shot with a bare bones Beretta 686. I outshot guns costing thousands more on a regular basis. But I did have issues with flinching when shooting a lot. You want a gun that patterns a little high so you can always see the target. A lot of field guns you have to cover the target with the front sight to make hits. Avoid that. Any gun will work but ideally something that shoots a little high, good recoil control and practice a lot.

Big Guy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 25, 2014
    Greenwood
    I also have been considering getting into shooting trap. I've already got an 870 pump, but have been thinking about getting a semi-auto. pix664436068.jpg
    This is a new Remington 1100 Competition, I have only seen it online, but think it looks like what I want.

fastwally

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    Peru
    I've shot thousands of rounds of Trap with many different guns and because I am (or was) a fast shooter my best gun was a BT99 combo for a faster swing.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    I have 75,000 ("registered with the ATA")trap targets------I have tried MANY makes of shotguns over 30 years of shooting trap--------I still have my TM-1 Perazzi---but--my first "trapgun",and still my favorite is a Remington 1100

0.02 tallend

1100's are so popular for trap shooting without breaking the bank. Anything will work, but as the guys are saying shoot with the 500 and find what you like. I think that would be fine, I personally like to shoot clays in any form as practice for hunting etc, not to shoot clays. So I will run whatever I'll hunt with next most often (same choke and all). That being said tallend here is most likely an example of an exceptional trap shooter, or at the very least he was some what serious not just about his guns. Because a Perazzi is nothing to be laughed at in that world. You are looking at a minimum a good chunk of change. Heck you can spend half a million on those suckers!

I bet that TM1 is a beautiful gun tallend! Just had to let you know I think it's awesome you have it!

Ammo Dump

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 30, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Combos consist of 2 different interchangeable barrels consisting of a under-single barrel for single trap and an over/under barrel for shooting doubles. The BT-99 is a Browning. Come to MCFG on Thursday nights if you want to see a lot of shotgun variations being shot. Indiana Gun Club has lots of different trap guns and configurations.

snuffy33

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    136   0   0
    Apr 25, 2008
    Indy
    I know what a single barrel BT99 is, I owned one.
    What I'm asking, since an O/U barrel won't fit a BT99 receiver, is what does a BT99 combo consist of?

tallend

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    where is the Indiana gun club located in from nwi

From I-69----south on Olio rd to 113th(just north of Geist lake) East on 113th aprox 1 1/2 miles--watch for large sign at the entrance(left side,North side)------trap,and skeet=6.00 pr round--5.00 with membership

Several Trap,Skeet,guns---Several ARs-----lots,and lots,and lots of handguns(drool)-----------

tallend

Dakota

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 17, 2009
    Near Hagerstown
    Won almost $6000 at the Grand years ago with a Remington 870 Competition. The last two of us shooting in the shoot off both were shooting 870's. Doesn't really matter what you shoot, just shoot it a lot and learn it.

Top Bottom