• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TheDude

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    104   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Southeast Kentuckiana.
    This...while a good idea seems like fantasy to me. Probaly better to put the money in a primary residence. It would be incredible luck to get to a BOL 100+ miles away as well as knowing the "Right time" to go.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    My dream BOL would be the Upper Penninsula of Michigan. You can still find heavily wooded land up there on a river for $1K per acre give or take. The soil isn't the best for gardening in a lot of cases, but you would be isolated from the big city mobs and looters. I love it up there and if you've got enough firewood, winter shouldn't be all that bad.

The major flaw of the Upper Penninsula is that you have to either count on benig able to get across the bridge, or try your hand at getting around Chicago. Both cases rule out the land up there as a BOL if the SHTF, but if a guy had a plane it might be different.

chrstian_indy

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 20, 2011
    I've said it once and i'll say it again :tinfoil:

If an earthquake hits Cali

ring_of_fire_earthquakes_map2.jpg

Or the new madrid fault line

New-Madrid-Fault-Earthquake-Zone.jpg

It's only going to take a few days for radiation to spread all over the west. Contaminating soil, vegetation, water and animals.

Do some research on the jet stream, find out where all the active nuclear plants are located in the US. And find that Goldilocks spot. Stay away from
    1. Fault lines
    2. Nuclear plants
    3. Volcanoes
    4. FEMA camps

ar15_dude

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 12, 2008
    This...while a good idea seems like fantasy to me. Probaly better to put the money in a primary residence. It would be incredible luck to get to a BOL 100+ miles away as well as knowing the "Right time" to go.

I agree with the above. Reinforcing some of the thoughts:

- sufficient land to provide privacy and an equipped place to hunker down is unavoidably expensive. Most people cannot afford it. And debt is evil.
    - If it is more than 1 hour from your home or work you won't visit it much to prep and take care of it ...somebody can easily steal your stuff while you are mostly not there. In trying times it will be exponentially harder to get to your place the farther it is from were you normally are (bridges, traffic jams, passing through towns, etc)
    - There simply are not many remote places in Indiana that don't have neighbors within 1/4 mile or that aren't regularly visited by hunters or passer-bys.
    - The mythological dream of BOL is part of the "grass is greener" fallacy: "if only ___ then I would survive when others won't". Better to prep where you are or MOVE TO A BETTER PLACE FULL TIME.

jsx1043

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Apr 9, 2008
    Napghanistan
    I agree with the above. Reinforcing some of the thoughts:

- sufficient land to provide privacy and an equipped place to hunker down is unavoidably expensive. Most people cannot afford it. And debt is evil.
    - If it is more than 1 hour from your home or work you won't visit it much to prep and take care of it ...somebody can easily steal your stuff while you are mostly not there. In trying times it will be exponentially harder to get to your place the farther it is from were you normally are (bridges, traffic jams, passing through towns, etc)
    - There simply are not many remote places in Indiana that don't have neighbors within 1/4 mile or that aren't regularly visited by hunters or passer-bys.
    - The mythological dream of BOL is part of the "grass is greener" fallacy: "if only ___ then I would survive when others won't". Better to prep where you are or MOVE TO A BETTER PLACE FULL TIME.

Spot on!

djl02

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 18, 2009
    Indiana
    Im gonna say in a woods, far from civilization, yet close enough to make any necessary resupply. Near some form of natural water source or water collection point, and enough space for a small garden and a few animals. I think alot of it would have to do with how bad of SHTF senario youre prepping for.

Thats about the best answer you can give,being noone knows exactly what could happen.Who knows what the landscape would look ike after a disaster.

scarboni

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 21, 2010
    Unknown
    The problem would be getting there and having everything ready to go at a moments notice,that to me is the tricky part.....Think about it

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    Teddy12b, what is SHTF in the US is every day living in other countries.

Yes, Mexico and other central America countries are on my short list of places to go. New Zeeland is another place, but I cannot drive or fly there in my personal aircraft. but if I could get there, I would....

You guys can defend your smoking piles of rubble all you want. I will be gggggone.

roisigns

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    Oct 5, 2011
    cincy
    Southern Indiana in the karst topography area. Relatively low population, close, relatively easy to control access, less ag chemical runoff, wood, springs, less visibilty to major roads due to hills.

Last edited:

WyldeShot

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 28, 2011
    Greenville
    I would be nice to be able to make a trip to a remote location but in the event of a disaster it might not possible to travel long distances.
    What would be nice is to form some sort of network or organization throughout the State that could help each other out in the event of a disaster. With the hopes of having people with farms participate and willing to open up their land to others that participate in the network. Each person usually brings a needed skill to a group. I've given this some thought and it would be great if it could get created.

tom1025

Master
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Underground
    If you were going to buy property as a place to bug-out to during a time of disaster, social chaos or economic depression, where would it be and why?

That's like asking for the winning lotto numbers. You will never know when or where a shtf situation is going to happen until after the fact.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    That's like asking for the winning lotto numbers. You will never know when or where a shtf situation is going to happen until after the fact.

To an extent. You can rationally think through likely scenarios however. For example, if you're concerned about prepping from an attack against an existing nuclear facility then a location downwind of one wouldn't be so good. If you're thinking allong the lines of a terrorist attack then places with high population with big targets (911 in NYC) would be a likely place. If you're concerned about supervolcano's like the one under yellowstone, then wyoming and the surrounding states would be out of the question as well.

As far as places in america that are wooded with plantable ground, low population and wildlife, my vote still goes for the UP of Michigan, if you can get there. If you don't care about keeping put in the USA, then I'd say anywhere at least 2 hrs north of the US border in Ontario would be a fine place to hold up. They've got so many lakes, and wildlife with so few people. Plenty of wood to burn to get through the winter too.

tom1025

Master
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Underground
    To an extent. You can rationally think through likely scenarios however. For example, if you're concerned about prepping from an attack against an existing nuclear facility then a location downwind of one wouldn't be so good. If you're thinking allong the lines of a terrorist attack then places with high population with big targets (911 in NYC) would be a likely place. If you're concerned about supervolcano's like the one under yellowstone, then wyoming and the surrounding states would be out of the question as well.

As far as places in america that are wooded with plantable ground, low population and wildlife, my vote still goes for the UP of Michigan, if you can get there. If you don't care about keeping put in the USA, then I'd say anywhere at least 2 hrs north of the US border in Ontario would be a fine place to hold up. They've got so many lakes, and wildlife with so few people. Plenty of wood to burn to get through the winter too.

If EMP's are set off it wont matter where you are at. At this point population of an area is irrelevant, everyone will be heading for the hills so a town of 2000 could be 10000 overnight. Then you have to worry about wild fires from inexperienced woodsmen and wild game becoming extinct because laws and regulations will be thrown out the window. So there really isnt a right or wrong answer here until things unfold.

flatlander

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Noblesville
    I used to have 64 ac in Greene county. Had to sell it in the first divorce. Had 13 acre meadow ,on top of a wooded hill with a 1 acre spring fed pond. Along the front of the property was a creek . Road was maintained gravel, could see where it came off the hardstand from the property. Bought it for $770 per acre around 1993/4. Sold it in 1999 for $1100 per. Took about 3 years to find it.
    To do it all over again, I would probably look for 10-15 acres with about 1/2 in woods, good drainage, spring, well off hardstand and good fields of observation.

Bob

Top Bottom