• ...and so much more!
  • Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Warthog, every pistol mentioned here will qualify for a great gun and I don't think you could make a wrong choive. You just need to find the one YOU shoot best.

Maybe at the fall open shoot at ProTec, you can see if you can try as many out as you can.

I rented a Glock, M&P and a XDm to see which one I shot best. I really wanted the M&P but found out I shot the XDm better. That's what I bought. It was the 5.25 model and I haven't had a single problem with it yet. I've done steel plate matches, IDPA and more with it. 5,000+ rounds in 4 years so far. (It was used when I bought it)

I really like the 3rd gen S&W's too. But I wanted to stick with striker fired so mine had to go.

Good luck.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    Hate to burst your bubble but there is no best. Everyone will have a favorite out of what they have tried.
    I have 3 favorites depending on what I'm doing. M&P Shield fon ccw, Steyr M9-A1 is my daytime carry choice, HK VP9 W fflashlight for night time. I have a PPQ and it's awesome too but it's a 40. I feel it's trigger is a bit too light for defensive carry.

So pick what's best for you and the application you'll be doing.

I've worked the last 3 NRAAM and racked an awful lot of slides. One I'd like to try is a Sphinx.
    https://kriss-usa.com/shop/products/sphinx/firearms/standard

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    If you are ever in the Avon/Brownsburg area and want to try more than a few 9mm's let me know. You bring the ammo and I'll bring some guns for you to try (including some Glocks). A few of my favorites are the VP9LE, SIG P320 and Walther PPQ. I even have a Canik which will surprise you!
    Dan
    all good ideas and I can get to the Brownsburg area whenever it is good for you and bring ammo as well. I do know it is what is best for me that makes it best. Might not be the best for you. If I were looking for absolutes I would read my Bible and forget anything this world has to offer. :) training is an option as well

phidelt208

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2011
    +1 on the CZ
    CZ-SP01, hands down, Look at all the guys running it in USPSA production. Must be something there.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    4487CZ_Motivator_zpsyufbgiv0.jpg

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    I'm not reading all 6 pages, so sorry if this has been mentioned, but my pick for the top full sized 9mm would be the Sig P226 Legion SAO. Awesome gun out of the box that doesn't need anything done to it to be a fantastic shooter. The flat trigger on it is amazing and it's a serious tack driver. I've always found the grips on Sig's to be too fat to be comfortable, but the Legion series has slimmer grips that fit me great.

Alternatively, CZ has great picks as well. A CZ 75B or SP-01 would be great choices, though to be considered the best, they would need to be cajunized and have new sights installed. Out of the box they are good guns, but after new sights and cajun parts, they are some of the best guns made.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Maybe throw that new gun money at some training, so the choice of gun matters less? :dunno:

:yesway:

OP mentioned selling off the bulk of his collection. Not sure what that entails. I vaguely remember him mentioning a Para in .45 once. But back to basics could mean just getting down to a couple calibers to be able to setup and stock up to shoot. For me a full size 9mm is a bread a butter gun that can be used for all sorts of fun activities including training. Let's see if I can summarize the list from the thread:

Glock. :cool:
    HKVP9
    CZ75
    Walther PPQ
    Smith M&P
    Springfield XDm
    Sig 226
    Sig P320
    some type of modified Beretta 92G

If I were going back to basics there is very little I couldn't do with owning a full size handgun, a compact handgun, a .22 rifle and a good 20 or 12 gauge shotgun. Add in an some type of suitable "defensive" long gun and that should get back to the basics.

Doublehelix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 20, 2015
    Westfield
    As has been mentioned, there is no "best" only "favorites".

Striker = H&K VP9
    Hammer = Sig P226

I have yet to try out a CZ75, but they have a rabid following, and if I was to be in the market for a new gun today, I would certainly take a look and see what the fuss is all about.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    The perfect handgun does exist. When I'm at the range, looking at that front sight superimposed over the target, I cannot help but think that I'm holding the perfect handgun no matter which one I'm shooting.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    If you want "best," buy an S-V frame and a box full of S-V 9mm magazines. Do some research to find a true pistolsmith who meets your standards. Have them build a 9mm gun to suit you. Done. Nothing in a manufaturer's catalog will compare favorably.

Top Bottom