• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Browning levers are great will shoot with the same browning bolt actions. You can get them in 22-250 308 ect. Long and short action.

Send it to arts gun shop and they can tame the trigger a bit. That is where they lack a bit. Not horrid but no nice. Mags can be ultra expensive.

daddyusmaximus

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.9%
    89   1   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Remington
    I like a pistol cartridge lever gun myself. Something in a .357 or .44 mag. I have one of each.
    Then again, my 94/22 is awful damn fun to shoot. Especially with the new Skinner rear sight.

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    Learn something new everyday...
    Cool story, the Springfield 1903 actually came out in what they called 30 caliber US but the ballistics were off. They went back to the drawing board and reworked it into the .30-'06 (3 years later). The original was named the 30-'03 as to not get a confusing issue any more confusing.

Guns were manufactured in the 30-'03 round, Winchester comes to mind, but the lone survivor of the ill fated 30-'03 (today) is the .270 which is a fantastic round in my eyes. In hilly country like the southern part of the state you rarely have a longer shot than 200-250 yards, if you sight the .270 in at 100 yards it will hit about 1 inch low at 200 yards. Now that is a deer getter, point and shoot...

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    Ya can't beat a good lever-action rifle in .357 magnum / .38 special...the .357 magnum, out of a 16" - 20" barrel provides sufficient power to hunt or defend yourself with and .38 special, out of a rifle barrel, is absolutely a hoot-to-shoot. There're other, more powerful calibers, .30-30, .308 Win., .44 magnum / .44 special, and .45 Colt...to name a few, but are not absolutely necessary for your above-mentioned purpose.
    Good lever-action rifles to choose from would be Henry, Marlin, Winchester, etc. to name a few.
    I prefer the 16" barreled lever-action rifles as, typically, in my application, it won't be used for much that surpasses 100 meters and, the best news is, I have a Ruger GP100 and SP101, both in .357 magnum / .38 special...so the calibers are compatible!

Last edited:

mmpsteve

Real CZ's have a long barrel!!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 14, 2016
    ..... formerly near the Wild Turkey
    It is hard to beat a .30-30 as a general purpose cartridge. At least for anything normal Indiana will throw at you.

Personally, I like companion guns. So I'll go with the .327.

Love my Henry carbine in 327 Federal. Pairs nicely with the Ruger GP100 and SP101. I havn't chronographed it yet, but the 327 is moving pretty good out of the carbine.

Since this pic was taken, and after I put the red dot on the Marlin, I switched this scope out for a red dot. The red dot changed the game for my aging eyes, and is a joy to operate. I hit what I'm aiming at from up close to 100 yards now, instead of guessing with the iron sights. The red dot also allowed removing the scope rail for lower position on the receiver. Really quick handling now.

H1 Cropped 2.jpg

Grogmister

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 13, 2012
    Love my Henry carbine in 327 Federal. Pairs nicely with the Ruger GP100 and SP101. I havn't chronographed it yet, but the 327 is moving pretty good out of the carbine.

Since this pic was taken, and after I put the red dot on the Marlin, I switched this scope out for a red dot. The red dot changed the game for my aging eyes, and is a joy to operate. I hit what I'm aiming at from up close to 100 yards now, instead of guessing with the iron sights. The red dot also allowed removing the scope rail for lower position on the receiver. Really quick handling now.

View attachment 295211

I just ordered a Henry in .44 mag. Any pics of the red dot? Not sure what optic if any I am going to use if any. Beautiful gun btw.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson

View attachment 295211

The .327 is the one Henry I want.

Michigan Slim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2014
    Fort Wayne
    I'm just not a Henry fan. Every single one I've seen a cowboy shooter use self destructs. The .22s run like a watch but anything else loses parts in a hurry. Good rifles if not run like we run them.

mmpsteve

Real CZ's have a long barrel!!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 14, 2016
    ..... formerly near the Wild Turkey
    I'm just not a Henry fan. Every single one I've seen a cowboy shooter use self destructs. The .22s run like a watch but anything else loses parts in a hurry. Good rifles if not run like we run them.

I have not run any of my Henry's hard, but I'm curious what goes bad on them when they are run hard. One thing I do not like about the Henry's is the lack of the half notch cock. It just don't seem right for some reason.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I have not run any of my Henry's hard, but I'm curious what goes bad on them when they are run hard. One thing I do not like about the Henry's is the lack of the half notch cock. It just don't seem right for some reason.

My Henry Frontier has a half cock notch.
    It's actually more like a 1/4 notch.
    Just used it this morning.

warren5421

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 23, 2010
    Plainfield
    I like the .38-55, new you can get in a Winchester. Used you can find Marlins. Don't know about a Henery. The .38-55 is good to 500-600 yards after that the wind moves it to much.
    It is a very soft shooting round. When you stop shooting a .45-70 you can keep shooting the .38-55 till the sun goes down. It is the .22 of the old buffalo rounds.

Uberti makes some good lever guns, most are pistol caliber. Pistol caliber I like the .44-40, but you need to reload.

Top Bottom