• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    I have a 4.5-30 Tenmile and it is, hands down, my favorite high mag scope.

Hope you end up with a similar experience!
    Thanks, me too. It came down to the Tenmile 3-18×44 or the Burris XTR III 3.3-18X50. I ended up picking the Tenmile because a lot of reviews on the XTR say it has good glass and and excellent eyebox but the reticle is so fine its barely usable except for in the highest magnification which kind of defeats the purpose of FFP and the illumination isn't great plus being 34mm tube makes it nearly 30oz. So usable reticle throughout, lighter weight and better illumination plus the sale and the Tenmile is on the way.

kyledmiller36

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2023
    Fishers
    I have an 18" Armalite that's been sitting in my safe for years, poor thing really needs some love. I've had it for so long they no longer even make this model. It's got an 18" nitride coated 416R stainless barrel, 1/8 twist and .223 Wylde chamber. I'm thinking it would make a nice base for a DMR build. It has a pretty decent two stage trigger already but it needs some good glass. What have you used on your longer range ARs? What would be a good magnification range? 2.5-10x? 3-12x? 4-16x? Does more than 10x even really make sense for 5.56? What say INGO?
    A good rule of thumb is you want 1x magnification per 100 yards. Some say anywhere from 1x - 3x magnification per 100 yards. With that being said, maybe also take into consideration what the average distance you will be firing from.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    A good rule of thumb is you want 1x magnification per 100 yards. Some say anywhere from 1x - 3x magnification per 100 yards. With that being said, maybe also take into consideration what the average distance you will be firing from.
    That works out then. If maximum range is 600 yards 6x3=18. The scope I went with is 3-18×44.

Little update again. Scope was delayed in arrival because Optics Planet likes to use no name fly by night delivery carriers that can't get a package from Illinois to Indiana in under a week. Was supposed to arrive Friday the 12th. But it finally arrived today after tracking went dead for 7 days.

kyledmiller36

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2023
    Fishers
    That works out then. If maximum range is 600 yards 6x3=18. The scope I went with is 3-18×44.

Little update again. Scope was delayed in arrival because Optics Planet likes to use no name fly by night delivery carriers that can't get a package from Illinois to Indiana in under a week. Was supposed to arrive Friday the 12th. But it finally arrived today after tracking went dead for 7 days.
    Awesome! What scope manufacturer did you go with? I've ordered from Optics Planet twice and I felt like it took a little longer than most.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    Waiting on 45° BUIS and this one is FINALLY done.

According to my "accurate" bathroom scale it comes in right at 10lbs empty. Not sure if I'm a fan of the PRS stock. Seems length of pull is just a tad long for me even fully retracted

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    Waiting on 45° BUIS and this one is FINALLY done.

According to my "accurate" bathroom scale it comes in right at 10lbs empty. Not sure if I'm a fan of the PRS stock. Seems length of pull is just a tad long for me even fully retracted

Fixed Stock possibilities?

Can’t get a good link to paste from RRA.

Last edited:

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    Fixed Stock possibilities?

Can’t get a good link to paste from RRA.

Thanks! I like the look of the RRA one. I've not seen it before, may give it a try. The B5 requires a carbine buffer tube. I've looked into it before and I cant use it for this rifle. This rifle has an A2 length extension and rifle length gas system.

BIGE7.62

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 98.5%
    65   1   0
    Jul 29, 2010
    The Hills of Brown
    Thanks! I like the look of the RRA one. I've not seen it before, may give it a try. The B5 requires a carbine buffer tube. I've looked into it before and I cant use it for this rifle. This rifle has an A2 length extension and rifle length gas system.
    Check out the A5 buffer system (Vltor ,BCM , PSA ) . I run one on a 18" with rifle length gas . Never had any issues and imho it runs the same as the A2 system

danieldefense33

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 11, 2017
    Westfield
    I have an 18" Armalite that's been sitting in my safe for years, poor thing really needs some love. I've had it for so long they no longer even make this model. It's got an 18" nitride coated 416R stainless barrel, 1/8 twist and .223 Wylde chamber. I'm thinking it would make a nice base for a DMR build. It has a pretty decent two stage trigger already but it needs some good glass. What have you used on your longer range ARs? What would be a good magnification range? 2.5-10x? 3-12x? 4-16x? Does more than 10x even really make sense for 5.56? What say INGO?
    In my opinion the two best would be the leupold mk5 3.6-18 and the Nightforce 4-16.

Jarvitron

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 12, 2023
    Indianapolis
    That RRA stock is super interesting, hope to hear your reports on how the tenmile works out. My "DMR" build has a 4-14 on it but it is purely for price reasons, that Primary Arm blem price is ridiculous

Top Bottom