• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    I have an 18" Armalite that's been sitting in my safe for years, poor thing really needs some love. I've had it for so long they no longer even make this model. It's got an 18" nitride coated 416R stainless barrel, 1/8 twist and .223 Wylde chamber. I'm thinking it would make a nice base for a DMR build. It has a pretty decent two stage trigger already but it needs some good glass. What have you used on your longer range ARs? What would be a good magnification range? 2.5-10x? 3-12x? 4-16x? Does more than 10x even really make sense for 5.56? What say INGO?

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    It all boils down to what target size at what distance right? A DMR build, to me, means hitting a man sized target out to max effective range WITH some extra magnification to PID those long range targets.

2.5-10x works for me. 1-10x & 2.5-20x are already available! Some day soon, we'll start seeing 1-20x & 2-40x scopes. I can't wait.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    So max effective range for 5.56 is about what? 500ish yards?

It is really crazy what some companies are coming out with. I've recently seen the March 1.5-15x Dual focal plane scope. That's freaking nuts and so is the price tag.

Squid556

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 26, 2022
    Wabash Co.
    I highly recommend the Strike Eagle 1-8. Ive been using one for 5 years now. Its reticle and features are great for shilouette shooting out to the max effective range of the 5.56.

Shilouette at 550 was actually really not too hard on 8x. Was even able to drill this 5 inch plate at 325 last weekend.
    IMG_3754.jpeg

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    What’s your budget and intended use, OP?
    Up to 2k maybe 2500. I am willing to save and wait like I said I've had this rifle for a while so a little longer won't hurt. Intended use is punching holes in paper at extended ranges. Maybe occasional full dress LARPing in my garage

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    I highly recommend the Strike Eagle 1-8. Ive been using one for 5 years now. Its reticle and features are great for shilouette shooting out to the max effective range of the 5.56.

Shilouette at 550 was actually really not too hard on 8x. Was even able to drill this 5 inch plate at 325 last weekend.
    View attachment 280093
    Nice! I'll check it out

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    You can get a pretty damn nice scope with that budget.

That would get you into a Razor!

I really like my Vortex scopes and we have a great local vendor; A&A Optics. Of course there's other fantastic scope makers out there too. Alan is a buddy and I have more Vortex stuff than other brands.
    Yeah, I understand that good optics cost as much or more than the rifle. I'm not above saving money and buying something "cheaper" but I'm not the kind of guy to buy something cheap if you know what I mean.

I've looked into the Vortex 1-10 and have honestly read alot of mixed reviews on it. Flickering illumination on the reticle, I've read and seen reviews showing less than great 1x and 10x with everything in between being incredibly clear. Then just alot of noise about long term durability from Vortex in general. Like some people seem to say the focus ring wears out quickly and other breakage issues. I'll probably never wear the thing out but the flickering illumination and poor 1x and 10x have turned me off of it. Granted I've never looked through one in person.

Leaning heavily towards the Nightforce NXS 2.5-10. This is a scope that has been on my radar for years and I've just never pulled the trigger. I really like FFP scopes, and the NXS is SFP. And after using a friend's PA SLX with ACSS on his rifle, I'm really come to appreciate more information in the reticle than the NXS offers. If Nightforce offered the NXS with a Griffin Mill reticle or similar I wouldn't have started this thread.

Basher

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 3, 2022
    Lafayette
    If you want to shoot at small targets at long range, I’d recommend something with at LEAST a 15x on top, and ideally a 20x or more, even for a 5.56. Here’s why.

Optically speaking, image quality will degrade as you approach the top of the magnification range. You’ll experience the best optical quality in the middle. Burris designed their new XTRIII optics this way. They actually have more magnification range in the design, but they mechanically limited it to preserve image quality. While you absolutely CAN use an optic at max mag, it’s better to be somewhere in the middle to 2/3 or so. And you can always dial down, but you can’t dial above the max mag of your optic.

If your budget is really $2500 or so, I’d be looking at a Burris XTRIII at a minimum. Weight and size become an issue on an AR, so to keep it from being ridiculously top heavy I’d probably go with the 3.3-18x. Steiner’s T6Xi in 3-18x would also work well, as would US Optics’ FDN 17x. For Nightforce, I’d look at either the NX8 2.5-20x or 4-32x (weights are very similar and the 4-32x gets better reviews for image clarity) or the ATACR 4-16x or 4-20x if you can stretch your budget or find a good used one.

Other options lower in price would include Bushnell’s excellent LRHS/LRTS, DMR2, or DMR3. I’ve used the LRHS, LRTS, DMR2, and XRS2 in the past and highly recommend them, but for an AR the LRHS/LRTS and DMR2 are a better fit size/weight-wise. Athlon makes some solid choices from the Midas TAC and above price point, but they’re Chinese made except for the Cronus, if that matters to you.

I would avoid LPVOs for your use, as they’re too much of a compromise. A quality 2.5-10x like the NF you mention would work just fine as well, FYI. I’ve shot out to 1,000y w/ a fixed 10x without issue, but you may eventually decide you want more mag, and it’s SFP as you mentioned. A hunting optic is fine in SFP if you’re not using it for long range stuff or plan to do all your ranging and holdovers at the correct mag, but in today’s day and age, I’d absolutely stick with FFP for something that’s primarily a long range tool.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    If you want to shoot at small targets at long range, I’d recommend something with at LEAST a 15x on top, and ideally a 20x or more, even for a 5.56. Here’s why.

Optically speaking, image quality will degrade as you approach the top of the magnification range. You’ll experience the best optical quality in the middle. Burris designed their new XTRIII optics this way. They actually have more magnification range in the design, but they mechanically limited it to preserve image quality. While you absolutely CAN use an optic at max mag, it’s better to be somewhere in the middle to 2/3 or so. And you can always dial down, but you can’t dial above the max mag of your optic.

If your budget is really $2500 or so, I’d be looking at a Burris XTRIII at a minimum. Weight and size become an issue on an AR, so to keep it from being ridiculously top heavy I’d probably go with the 3.3-18x. Steiner’s T6Xi in 3-18x would also work well, as would US Optics’ FDN 17x. For Nightforce, I’d look at either the NX8 2.5-20x or 4-32x (weights are very similar and the 4-32x gets better reviews for image clarity) or the ATACR 4-16x or 4-20x if you can stretch your budget or find a good used one.

Other options lower in price would include Bushnell’s excellent LRHS/LRTS, DMR2, or DMR3. I’ve used the LRHS, LRTS, DMR2, and XRS2 in the past and highly recommend them, but for an AR the LRHS/LRTS and DMR2 are a better fit size/weight-wise. Athlon makes some solid choices from the Midas TAC and above price point, but they’re Chinese made except for the Cronus, if that matters to you.

I would avoid LPVOs for your use, as they’re too much of a compromise. A quality 2.5-10x like the NF you mention would work just fine as well, FYI. I’ve shot out to 1,000y w/ a fixed 10x without issue, but you may eventually decide you want more mag, and it’s SFP as you mentioned. A hunting optic is fine in SFP if you’re not using it for long range stuff or plan to do all your ranging and holdovers at the correct mag, but in today’s day and age, I’d absolutely stick with FFP for something that’s primarily a long range tool.
    And your post proves why I kinda shy away from SFP scopes nowadays. Subtentions on SFP are only accurate at full mag but as you said at full mag and even from what I've been reading about longer range shooting this bears out. The upper and lower range on most scopes suffer clarity issues. A FFP scope should be correct in the subtentions throughout the mag range and especially clear in the middle where it will mostly be used.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    What I may do then is pick up the Vortex 3-15. I can probably get it within a month or two. Then just go shooting and eventually if I feel the need upgrade later

Basher

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 3, 2022
    Lafayette
    What I may do then is pick up the Vortex 3-15. I can probably get it within a month or two. Then just go shooting and eventually if I feel the need upgrade later

There’s a vendor doing a 50% off MSRP sale right now on the 3-15x, and a 52.5% MSRP on the 5-25x. Shoot me a PM if you want their info.

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    That’s a good deal, but there are two problems IMO:

1) it’s in icky MOA

2) those Razor 3-18x weigh as much as the 4.5-27x. They’re HELLA heavy for a small-framed AR.

Both accurate points but if the object is a DMR…

Bottom line for the OP though is that to make tiny holes in paper with 223 and a $2500 budget he has TONS of great options.

Going to be a lot of personal preference and consideration of use scenarios (ie always bench).

Basher

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 3, 2022
    Lafayette
    Both accurate points but if the object is a DMR…

Bottom line for the OP though is that to make tiny holes in paper with 223 and a $2500 budget he has TONS of great options.

Going to be a lot of personal preference and consideration of use scenarios (ie always bench).

Absolutely! Even off a bench a top heavy rifle can be tiring, and for what those 3-18’s weigh he may as well just get the 4.5-27x and not be out much more. Or get another one of the 3-18x options I mentioned that weigh a lot less haha.

But for sure, glass (especially reticles) can be a pretty personal choice. Lots of things to consider and it’s easy to get overwhelmed, but the flip side is there’s no shortage of options!

Top Bottom