• Whip_McCord

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    NWI
    Here is an alternative since you don't handload:

https://www.buffalobore.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=54

Pretty pricey though, but you won't need lots of this ammo. This is quite a load. Note the disclaimer:

They are as follows; Ruger RedHawk, Ruger Super RedHawk, Ruger Super Blackhawk or Vaquero, .....
    We get hundreds of emails asking if this load can be fired in S&W revolvers or some firearm other than what is in the above list. The answer is NO.

Should be good for your purposes.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    Sounds about right. I've never seen a bear volunteer to get shot with a .22, its all about shot placement, a hit with a .22 is better than a miss with a .44, which you left in your nightstand drawer anyway, etc.

To repeat a truism I've seen around the Internet: Gun forums are the place where caliber is irrelevant to defend yourself from humans but incredibly relevant to defending yourself from bears.

So are we going to start the whole .223 / 5.56 is a varmint round discussion again? :popcorn:

Brewster

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2015
    Bloomington
    Ive been looking at a lot of these heavy loads and I'd be happy to pay top dollar for the 6 I would keep in the gun. I would never throw them down a range at that cost.

45 x 11

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2014
    Southwest IN
    In big brown bear country, a handgun probably isn't adequate and bear spray is a better defense. I really am not a fan of the 29/629 because I don't like the ergonomics of the N-frame revolvers, and I would recommend you check out a Model 69 instead. Then again, a Ruger Redhawk really is a better choice if you're looking for the higher powered cartridges - the Smiths aren't really designed to handle them. If you don't reload and don't plan on doing this sort of thing often, I would look at one of those two.

Of the more potent handgun options available, I like the S&W 460 for its power and cartridge versatility but it almost necessitates you reload.

Brewster

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2015
    Bloomington
    And I'm still not sure how feel about the kel tec. I've held them before, but never shot one. It just feels weird to me. Too much plastic I think

Brewster

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2015
    Bloomington
    I just started looking into the ruger line up a bit more. I've owned 3 guns from them and haven't been to fond of either. Granted, they were smaller calibers (lc9, lcp, and sr40c) I'll look into the redhawk

Whip_McCord

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    NWI
    I just started looking into the ruger line up a bit more. I've owned 3 guns from them and haven't been to fond of either. Granted, they were smaller calibers (lc9, lcp, and sr40c) I'll look into the redhawk

I can understand your reluctance if the only Rugers you are used to are the ones listed. I have no use for any of those you mentioned. No offense to anyone that uses or likes them. The only Ruger semi-auto I own are the MkII rimfires. I have several in different configurations.

While I like S&W revolvers, own several, and they are what I mainly shoot in competitions, you cannot beat the Ruger revolvers for their strength.

Whip_McCord

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    NWI
    My LGS (Blythe's Vaplo) up here has had a few recently, including an Alaskan. While I don't need one, I would buy an Alaskan if I found a used one for a good price. That would give 44 mag revolvers in 2 1/2", 5", and 7 1/2" barrels. I'd be set for anything. I already had a 10" Dan Wesson for silhouette, but sold it.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    I can understand your reluctance if the only Rugers you are used to are the ones listed. I have no use for any of those you mentioned. No offense to anyone that uses or likes them. The only Ruger semi-auto I own are the MkII rimfires. I have several in different configurations.

While I like S&W revolvers, own several, and they are what I mainly shoot in competitions, you cannot beat the Ruger revolvers for their strength.

I have a P90DC SS in .45ACP. It's a good gun. I carry it loaded with +P JHP. The smaller one's I don't know about.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    Ive been looking at a lot of these heavy loads and I'd be happy to pay top dollar for the 6 I would keep in the gun. I would never throw them down a range at that cost.

I would only shoot a couple to make sure you know what it's going to feel like...other than that it's spendy target practice.

dtkw

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2009
    Bloomington
    In bear country, I'd carry my ar 458 socom. I 'd load one FMJ then follow by a HP then FMJ again. Meaning i load my magazine one after another. This way, if you are good shot, then first FMJ enter the bear, then the hp enter do more damage inside. You have be very fast pulling the trigger. I shot a brown bear a few years ago, it was charging at a distance. Coming in close very fast. I shot it with a FMJ in the head and it stopped, but got going again, then my following shot was HP and entered less than an inch from the first shot and it's done. The bear dropped dead.

Top Bottom