• ...and so much more!
  • Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    I believe you are correct on that...most use a .30-30 for deer and the commercial ammo manufacturers cater to that. Self loaders do have other options:

Meister Hard Cast Bullets 30-30 Winchester (309 Diameter) 165 Grain

.30 Caliber Bullets Available From Penn Bullets

Rifle Bullets

as an example.

In a self defense against dangerous animal situation I'd take the rifle any day, even if it was only loaded with say 180gr soft points. In a backpacking situation where I wasn't planning on shooting game I'd have to seriously consider the pistol even though my Win94 isn't all that hard to tote. "Not all that hard" can become a serious PITA about day 3; or say on the 3rd portage of a canoe trip...

The -30's taken pretty much everything on the continent whether it would be everyone's first choice or not, inside 150yds with good shot placement it should work just fine and if it doesn't the first time there's that handy lever thing to try again. Inside 50yds where self defense is taking place you're better off with a lower velocity rounds that don't disintegrate on impact anyway.

baldmax

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    57   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    North Liberty
    I lived in Alaska for a couple of years. Carried a Ruger Blackhawk .44 Mag with a 7 1/2" barrel and loaded with 300 gr rounds. Never felt like I was under powered.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    Had some clients in 2 days ago from Canada and they were all telling Bear stories, they were talking about some guy that had a shot gun loaded up with slugs etc on a fishing trip and about how all that would do would **** off the bear even more. They said that they slowly backed away having zero confidence in the gun. They were pretty much saying avoid at all costs, otherwise have a high-powered rifle and be far enough away to use it.

Thought I would share since they have had a few real encounters as have their buddies.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    I know a guy who lives up by the circle in AK. He has shot moose on his front porch and bear on his back. He only uses a shotgun for birds...

GIJEW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    In big brown bear country, a handgun probably isn't adequate and bear spray is a better defense. I really am not a fan of the 29/629 because I don't like the ergonomics of the N-frame revolvers, and I would recommend you check out a Model 69 instead. Then again, a Ruger Redhawk really is a better choice if you're looking for the higher powered cartridges - the Smiths aren't really designed to handle them. If you don't reload and don't plan on doing this sort of thing often, I would look at one of those two.

Of the more potent handgun options available, I like the S&W 460 for its power and cartridge versatility but it almost necessitates you reload.
    While in Alaska, the locals joked that my 'bear spray' was 'bear-food seasoning'. On the the other hand I felt a little under-gunned carrying a S&W 629 with 300gr solids--like carrying .38 snub nose

roscott

Master
    Rating - 97.5%
    39   1   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    Good heavens. I thoroughly enjoyed all the people saying a 45-70, or 458, or 308, etc. He said he was going on a hiking trip, not into a warzone!

First, regarding bear spray: it has its uses, but if a bear is determined, it will walk right through it. Think of it like pepperspray for the police: it helps sometimes, but if the attacker is really motivated, he can fight through it. I would suggest that most situations in which bear spray would be effective you wouldn't have needed a gun anyway. (ie the bear wants your food. It's a bummer to give it up, but it's really not worth your life.) On the other hand, if the bear is motivated, (ie you are between a mother and her cubs) bear spray is just going to make you taste spicy.

Second, regarding weapon selection: you need a gun that you will be content to carry for days on end. It's easy to sit at a computer and talk about how you would want a big gun when the bear shows up (which you will) but it's a PITA at every other moment of the day. I carry a S&W 629 .44 3" when backpacking in bear country, and I can tell you that added weight definitely makes a difference.

Third, weigh the odds of using your weapon against a bear vs the odds of using it against a person or a snake. The most likely deadly threat you will encounter will be rattlers. So your weapon will need to be suited for that as well.

Fourth, regarding a holster: get a really good holster. I can't stress this enough. Get a really good holster that is compatable with your backpack and will still allow quick and easy draw for when that snake or bear (or human) tries to get you. Go for a walk with your backpack and gun. You might look silly, but if your gear doesn't work, you'll end up throwing the gun in the pack, and then you might as well not have it.

I began carrying a .357, after I tangoed with a black bear (at spitting distances) but only once drew it when I accidentally got between a momma and her cubs. Ironically, the momma ran off and left me and the cub (who was up in a tree) both confused about what to do next.

After living in Alaska for a bit and once having a huge brown bear threaten a charge at me and my friend, I switched to my current .44 629, but it sure is heavy...

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Danville
    I'd probably go with a .44 magnum. It is proven against bears. If snakes are primary concern, CCI snakeshot in .44 is a one shot deal for even the biggest rattler. I wouldn't want to be loaded with snake shot, though, when encountering a bear. It would really pi$$ him off!

I can't help but wonder how a 10mm Glock 20 would do with Underwood ammo with Lehigh Defense Extreme Penetrator bullets. They do 1500fps and they are known for deep penetration with lots of damage along the way, with wound channels as big or bigger than HP bullets, (I know, you wouldn't use those, but I said it to describe how this EP bullet gives the best of both worlds--penetration AND damage), but for much more distance with more consistency. Underwood loads it hot. I'm not sure, but I think the package would weigh less than the revolver, especially if you loaded fewer than the max 15 rounds. I'd let someone else try this out, though. I wouldn't want to try the experiment on a big griz!

Btw, you can get the Extreme Penetrator from Underwood in .44 mag. That's probably at least as good as the .44 Barnes bullet guides used to use until it was banned. The EP, like the Barnes, is all copper. 220 grains, 1550fps, 1,144 ft. lbs of energy. They also come in 500 S&W Magnum, 350grain, at, get this: 1850fps with 2660 ft. lbs. of energy! Wow! There's your bear stopper!!

Of course, with the weight of that 500 S&W, you might as well haul a Barrett in there, which will not only stop the bear, but dress it and cook the meat, all in one blow.

Last edited:

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    I have a thought regarding the bear v. snake question, particularly in terms of the load for one being absolutely unsuitable for the other: Carry a big revolver loaded for bear and also carry a polymer revolver loaded for snake. I would think that going for general versatility (unless, of course, you intend to live in the woods with the bears indefinitely) something like a Ruger LCR with shot would do nicely for snakes. If you want to go more specialized, then something like a Judge or a Governor preferably in polymer loaded with shot would be even better yet. Two handguns when encumbrance is already an issue doesn't necessarily sound like an ideal solution, but I would speculate that it beats deadness.

ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    I think the best tool for this is a .44 mag mare's leg loaded with hot hardcast

I came in late, so sorry if I repeat what some else already said. A .22, .25 or .380 is all you need. Shoot the guy with you in the foot. You don't have to outrun the bear, just the gimpy one with you.

FERLACH

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 28, 2010
    Plainfield
    I have personally killed 4 black bear in Ontario, brother killed one, brother-in-law 2, and 2 friends 1 each. All were black bears, all killed with high power rifles. Most did not just drop dead when shot, but thrashed around for a couple minutes to several minutes. Having been personally involved with 9 black bears shot, I would not want to defend myself against a grizzly with a hand gun. I would take a 12 gauge shotgun or high power rifle, if allowed and legal. Also a little more info that might help. My wife has a friend, her husband was on a grizzly bear hunt, one of the men on the hunt was actually killed by a grizzly. Husband had to help carry his dead hunting partner out of the woods.

Top Bottom