• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dhayse32

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 21, 2009
    Just got my .243 and looking for ammo. I have one dog inparticular that I want to mount so I would rather not blast him apart. So would it be best to use a 55gr bullet or something bigger?

Thanks for the info.

Mike H

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Vincennes
    My Savage Mod 16 1:9.25 twist loves 58 grain V-Max. Nickle size groups at 100yds.
    I think I am currently loading 43 gr. of IMR 4064, but I would have to check on that. that said I have also tried 65, and 70 gr V-Max but the Savage liked the 58 grainers better. You hand loading? Rate of twist will also affect which grain bullet groups best.

parson

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 1, 2008
    New Castle
    My Savage shoots best with 80 - 100 grain bullets. Having said that, it will shoot most weights pretty good.

I'd recommend trying different grains and see what your gun likes.

Jeffrey

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    May 10, 2009
    Central Indiana
    Not Varmint Grenades

I love the accuracy of the 6mm 62 grain barnes varmint grenades, but they do not perform as advertised. Below in the pic you will see the entry hole on a yote from around 70 yds. with one. The exit was about twice as big.
    dec11yote.jpg
    [/IMG]

From barnes site "the Varmint Grenade seldom exits large predators like bobcats and coyotes, leaving valuable pelts virtually undamaged."
    I've taken three with my .243 loaded with these and have had pretty large exit wounds with each one. They are loaded pretty hot though. I've had good luck with minor or no exit wound with berger varmint bullets. Not tried them in .243 though. Good Luck and happy hunting!

brotherbill3

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2010
    Hamilton Co.
    I used the 58gr Hornady V-Max in my 6mm Remington and never had an exit broadside. I think Hornady may have factory ammo in 243 with the bullet.

Yes, They (Hornady) does make factory ammo with this bullet for .243. I haven't had time to try it, but they have 'standard' velocity and their propriety (i.e. HOTTER) SUPERFORMACE with the 58 grain. (that's what I have) ... but I had to wait to get my new scope mounted on the rifle.
    Now I just need a range trip to zero the new glass.

Good Luck!

yotewacker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Here is what I do when buying a new long range gun.
    buy every bullet weight you can find. Like 55, 80, 95, 100, 105 grain
    shoot each weight at a separate target 3 times.
    make sure you use a good bench rest
    Do not look for whether you shooting high,low,left or right.
    What your looking for is how tight of group your shooting.
    whatever group is the tightest, is the only bullet weight your gun shoots well.
    All guns prefer a particular bullet, and not all makes will shoot the same bullet well.
    There is a math formula that uses the bullet length times the barrel twist rate and ? I have it written somewhere.
    Now re-sight in your gun with the best bullet weight.
    NO gun will shoot a variety of bullet s well. There is always one weight it will shoot best!

snaresman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2010
    Auburn
    I really like the Sierra 85 grain BTHP. It is available from Federal as a premium loading listed as 87 grains. It doesn't blow up as bad as lighter bullets.

rabbit

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    I would use the one that shoot the best groups out of my gun! I had a 30-06 that would hit the same hole at 100 yards with 150 gr bullets but would through 180 gr bullets all over a 12 inch target!

Top Bottom